The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 23, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #2,343 of 6,351
Inner diameter is about 50mm, the pads are about 27mm wide, and a thickness of 18mm (the inside height is tapered from the edge)

50mm diameter? Dang, that really does sound tiny, definitely smaller than my ear (about 60mm in height). But thanks a lot for checking it for me! Any idea if T5p or the T1 (3rd gen or earlier) have the same exact pads? I'd have to order the T5.3 blindly online, but some stores sell the T1s at least, so I guess I could go and try if they fit before I do anything else.

Aug 23, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #2,344 of 6,351
50mm diameter? Dang, that really does sound tiny, definitely smaller than my ear (about 60mm in height). But thanks a lot for checking it for me! Any idea if T5p or the T1 (3rd gen or earlier) have the same exact pads? I'd have to order the T5.3 blindly online, but some stores sell the T1s at least, so I guess I could go and try if they fit before I do anything else.
pretty sure that the pads on most of the similar looking beyer headphones are interchangeable, so there would be very small differences. You could try other pads from dekoni, but many are just as wide unless they look thinner.

Aug 23, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #2,345 of 6,351
Have you considered the Aeon 2 Noire? They will definitely fit.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #2,346 of 6,351
Have you considered the Aeon 2 Noire? They will definitely fit.

Not really, no, although I guess I haven't really looked into Dan Clark stuff at all.

I'm mainly looking for a higher end (slash end game, which I've decided is around the 1000 euro mark for me) closed back that has good isolation and comfort, plenty of bass impact, warm and inviting and musical mids and smooth and inoffensive highs and from what I've gathered, either the Beyer T5.3s or the ZMF Atticus would be the best pick for me, but I've admittedly become a bit tunnel-visioned and haven't considered any other options.

Starting to feel extremely uncertain and indecisive about them both, anyway. I checked the ATH-M50x pad size out of curiosity for comparison since I had them some years ago and they were simply too small and uncomfortable and hot for me, and it looks like they're just a tiiiny bit bigger than the T5.3's pads, so I guess that's out of the running. As for the Atticus, I already have the Aeolus and as much as I love them, paying another ~1300 euros to get something that's pretty much more of the same but closed doesn't seem like a very good financial decision.

I guess I should get back to googling. Recommendations are welcome, too, of course, and it doesn't have to be a grand. I currently have the 99 Classics but eh, not really a big fan of them, they just sound kind of boring to me for some reason. Very bassy, but dry and unengaging.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #2,347 of 6,351
Question for those who have heard a variety of closed back headphones: how's the LCD2-CB compare in isolation to the competition, specifically the Audio Technica AWAS/AWKT if anyone's heard the both of them?

I currently have the LCD and am looking to try something else and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to stay closed or if I'm willing to go back open and bear the full force of my loud AC(only one more month of summer..) Mostly looking at the ATs as I don't want anymore bass than my Audeze while I want more interesting upper-mids(and larger stage which may not be avail in a closed back, the Audeze seem above average for this.)

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #2,348 of 6,351
Not really, no, although I guess I haven't really looked into Dan Clark stuff at all.

I'm mainly looking for a higher end (slash end game, which I've decided is around the 1000 euro mark for me) closed back that has good isolation and comfort, plenty of bass impact, warm and inviting and musical mids and smooth and inoffensive highs and from what I've gathered, either the Beyer T5.3s or the ZMF Atticus would be the best pick for me, but I've admittedly become a bit tunnel-visioned and haven't considered any other options.

Starting to feel extremely uncertain and indecisive about them both, anyway. I checked the ATH-M50x pad size out of curiosity for comparison since I had them some years ago and they were simply too small and uncomfortable and hot for me, and it looks like they're just a tiiiny bit bigger than the T5.3's pads, so I guess that's out of the running. As for the Atticus, I already have the Aeolus and as much as I love them, paying another ~1300 euros to get something that's pretty much more of the same but closed doesn't seem like a very good financial decision.

I guess I should get back to googling. Recommendations are welcome, too, of course, and it doesn't have to be a grand. I currently have the 99 Classics but eh, not really a big fan of them, they just sound kind of boring to me for some reason. Very bassy, but dry and unengaging.
Between the 2 I liked the T5.3 way more then the Atticus. Atticus felt slow, overly dark and muddy. T5.3 was way more enjoyable, except for the comfort. I returned T5.3 due to a hotspot and the small cups. Finally settled on the Focal Celestee (for now :wink:). I think that the æon 2 noire is excellent as well but it misses that bass kick that a dynamic pair can give. Celestee delivers that sound and is very comfortable. People complain about the soundstage but I found an amp that fixes that issue (or so I believe cause I don't mind the soundstage at all).

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #2,349 of 6,351
Between the 2 I liked the T5.3 way more then the Atticus. Atticus felt slow, overly dark and muddy. T5.3 was way more enjoyable, except for the comfort. I returned T5.3 due to a hotspot and the small cups. Finally settled on the Focal Celestee (for now :wink:). I think that the æon 2 noire is excellent as well but it misses that bass kick that a dynamic pair can give. Celestee delivers that sound and is very comfortable. People complain about the soundstage but I found an amp that fixes that issue (or so I believe cause I don't mind the soundstage at all).

Yeah, it really is a bummer Beyerdynamics went with such a tiny earcup/pad design, they seem like they'd be something special but there's no way I'm gonna spend a grand on a pair of cans that I would most likely not be able to wear for longer than 30 minutes at a time. Of course there's always pad rolling, but that'll change the sound too, usually pretty drastically too.

I thought about Focal cans too, but aside from the bass impact (which they apparently nail) they don't really sound like something that I'd be into. Shame, many of them are EXTREMELY pretty.

Aug 23, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #2,350 of 6,351
Careful, the various Beyerdynamic pads look quite similar, but they are part of the voicing, i.e. they may change the sound signature. On the other hand this opens a wide field for experimentation…

Aug 23, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #2,351 of 6,351
I have been listening to my Z1Rs a lot lately and they are amazing to my ears. I think the weight and fit of the Z1Rs are hands down my favorite, however they do allow a fair amount of leakage unlike my VCs. I like the Z1Rs sound more while listening with the Arche than my White Dwarf, it really sings with an ss amp. If I find myself listening to a bad recording with the Z1Rs they do not hide anything and the sound is just bad. I also feel that the VCs and the Z1Rs both excel at different genres so I choose my headphone based on what I will be listening to. Since I listen to closed backs mostly in bed I find it important to reduce the leakage so that the boss, I mean my wife, does not complain.

I am intrigued by the new Stealth and will wait until I hear some reviews or have the opportunity to listen to it first hand. I purchased a pair of Stellias last week which should arrive on Monday to add to my closed back collection. I love my Clears, sold my Utopias in a moment of weakness, so I am looking forward to the Stellias arrival and giving them a long listen.
In general, which genres (or subgenres) do you prefer with the VC and with the Z1R? I tried a lot of headphones with jazz and the best for me are the Z7s.

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #2,352 of 6,351
I don't know about T 5.3 -but I think that the pads should be exact as the T1.3s-. I had the T 1.3s in the Thomann trial period (almost 30 days) and, althought I found they have a weird signature that can complement a headphones collection, I had comfort issues with them, precisely because the inner size of the pads, that pinched my ear lobes, and also because the headband compressed my head. After that, I bought the Denon 9200s and, at first, I was worried if I was going to have comfort issues, but not at all :relaxed:

And I have no problems with my 1990 Pros, because the inner size of the pads are bigger.

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #2,353 of 6,351
Question for those who have heard a variety of closed back headphones: how's the LCD2-CB compare in isolation to the competition, specifically the Audio Technica AWAS/AWKT if anyone's heard the both of them?

I currently have the LCD and am looking to try something else and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to stay closed or if I'm willing to go back open and bear the full force of my loud AC(only one more month of summer..) Mostly looking at the ATs as I don't want anymore bass than my Audeze while I want more interesting upper-mids(and larger stage which may not be avail in a closed back, the Audeze seem above average for this.)
I find them to be very isolating, on par with the Aeon Flow Closed RT, slightly better than my Elegia (now sold), and better than my old AT A900X (now sold) and M50x.

Aug 24, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #2,354 of 6,351
And I have no problems with my 1990 Pros, because the inner size of the pads are bigger.

It's really surprising to me that they stuck with a very specific pad size and shape for years (decades?) with the DT series headphones, and then just I guess suddenly decided to make Tiny Boy Pads for their high-end Tesla cans.

Anyway, I'm googling and I'm googling, but I'm just straight up not finding anything that'd fill what I thought were pretty basic criteria, so maybe I should try to branch out a bit and get closed-backs that are something different than just warm/bassy. How are you liking the Denons? The 9200s are a bit too rich for my blood, but I could give the 5200 or the 7200s a try.

Aug 24, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,355 of 6,351
How are you liking the Denons? The 9200s are a bit too rich for my blood, but I could give the 5200 or the 7200s a try.

I once owned the D7200 and liked them quite a bit. Did not hear them back to back with the D9200 which I bought late last year, though from (unreliable) memory I‘d say the D9200 offers a bit more detail, has a bit more treble (though not shrill or sharp in any way) and a bit softer headband. I think the D7200 is a very solid choice for a closed headphone with engaging bass that is not overdone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back