The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 21, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #2,312 of 6,329
Definitely also intrigued myself, though the gamerish aesthetics and product name are a major turnoff, alas. As ridiculous/snobby as it sounds, I'd find it hard to justify spending 4k on a headphone called "Stealth."
Honestly, when I saw the name "Stealth", I automatically assumed that Dan Clark created a gaming-centric headphone.

I mean, it even looks like one. :laughing:

Dan Clark Audio headphones are supremely comfortable; plus, they are portable as heck. But, man, that design.. it's missing some RGB lights. :joy:

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #2,313 of 6,329
Don't forget the Abyss C is on the horizon and many of us are champing at the bit for this one.

In the meantime, I did order a Stealth. My guts says it won't perform up to the TC or Rognir but hearing is believing. :wink:
I'm (we're) looking forward to your impressions! :)

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #2,314 of 6,329
Anyone could give options under 500€ (new or used) for a closed back planar?

Aeon flow closed
Fostex mod

Anymore?
I'd skip the AEON Flow Closed; go for a used AEON 2 Closed instead.

If you want something that's a little better on the technical side of things, but perhaps, a little less emotive, try the LCD-2 Closed Back. Again, you'd need to hunt for a used pair, though.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #2,315 of 6,329
I think that brands are "forced" to price their flagships - and the subsequent lower-tiered products - at a sufficiently-high level to command any sort of attention.

I have no doubt that the Stealth sounds brilliant; however, is it twice as good as their previous closed-back flagship, the Ether C Flow 1.1? I hope that this question can and will be answered (in a favorable manner) in the coming months. I, for one, am intrigued with this headphone. :)
It’s a fair point that pricing IS part of marketing and PR (I can vouch for that professionally), though any good marketing team will also carefully weigh how much of a turn-off the price might be. However, when you are operating in this niche space, you have more flexibility, as 1) you don’t need to sell a large number of units annually and 2) price sensitivity is much lower due to limited competition and the buyers’ ability to spend thousands of dollars for a luxury item.

To your question of doubling of SQ with a doubling of price- the answer is “no”. 😊 Hence the point of diminishing returns. I have not heard the Ether C Flow 1.1, but it’s very safe to say that improvements are incremental rather than multiples (Yes, I’m extrapolating from the Focal lineup).

That doesn’t mean the Stealth isn’t worth it if you have $ 4,000 to spend on headphones, of course- merely that you will get the vast majority of the performance at a lower cost.

Then again, our hobby is about achieving the last percentiles of performance to help create the illusion of a live performance (or at least, that’s how I see it). And so we yearn for the ultimate musical experience… 😁🎧

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #2,316 of 6,329
Honestly, when I saw the name "Stealth", I automatically assumed that Dan Clark created a gaming-centric headphone.

I mean, it even looks like one. :laughing:

Dan Clark Audio headphones are supremely comfortable; plus, they are portable as heck. But, man, that design.. it's missing some RGB lights. :joy:
Absolutely, even the Stealth typeface I find garish. RGB lights would be the icing on the cake!

That said, obviously still want to hear these.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #2,317 of 6,329
It’s a fair point that pricing IS part of marketing and PR (I can vouch for that professionally), though any good marketing team will also carefully weigh how much of a turn-off the price might be. However, when you are operating in this niche space, you have more flexibility, as 1) you don’t need to sell a large number of units annually and 2) price sensitivity is much lower due to limited competition and the buyers’ ability to spend thousands of dollars for a luxury item.

To your question of doubling of SQ with a doubling of price- the answer is “no”. 😊 Hence the point of diminishing returns. I have not heard the Ether C Flow 1.1, but it’s very safe to say that improvements are incremental rather than multiples (Yes, I’m extrapolating from the Focal lineup).

That doesn’t mean the Stealth isn’t worth it if you have $ 4,000 to spend on headphones, of course- merely that you will get the vast majority of the performance at a lower cost.

Then again, our hobby is about achieving the last percentiles of performance to help create the illusion of a live performance (or at least, that’s how I see it). And so we yearn for the ultimate musical experience… 😁🎧
I'd semi-argue DCA has kind of ignored the marketing in a way.

$4k for a closed-back headphone is pretty ****ing stupid. Really it is pure ballsy.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #2,318 of 6,329
I'd semi-argue DCA has kind of ignored the marketing in a way.

$4k for a closed-back headphone is pretty ****ing stupid. Really it is pure ballsy.
I don't actually find the price too offensive. A pair of Rögnir in EU is about 3.4k, and of course many TOTL IEMs easily retail for 4k. Whether it lives up to this cost remains to be seen.

Especially interested in your impressions vis-a-vis the Rögnir.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #2,319 of 6,329
The appearance of the Stealth puts me in some kind of decision dilemma if I should keep my order on the Rögnir (already two month) or cancel and save up for the Stealth. They aim for different tuning philiosophy and have their pros and cons. Tough decision!

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #2,320 of 6,329
I don't actually find the price too offensive. A pair of Rögnir in EU is about 3.4k, and of course many TOTL IEMs easily retail for 4k. Whether it lives up to this cost remains to be seen.

Especially interested in your impressions vis-a-vis the Rögnir.
The reason why it will be offensive is because of the company around it. Abyss/Susvara/STAX/SR1a and so on and on. I really like the Rognir and thought it overshot its ideal pricing bracket. I do feel apples / oranges (IEMS) isn't very meaningful. Yes, the market will bear anything if the people say so.

It is still a far out aggressive approach within a novel idea. That is, HiFiMan banked their R10P on the laurels of another's work and the reception has been lukewarm regardless of its actual sound quality.

I'm hopeful someone like JPS releases their Abyss closed at sub $3k for a reality check. I also feel RAAL is about to give everybody a real rude awakening in the headphone space.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #2,321 of 6,329
The reason why it will be offensive is because of the company around it. Abyss/Susvara/STAX/SR1a and so on and on. I really like the Rognir and thought it overshot its ideal pricing bracket. I do feel apples / oranges (IEMS) isn't very meaningful. Yes, the market will bear anything if the people say so.

It is still a far out aggressive approach within a novel idea. That is, HiFiMan banked their R10P on the laurels of another's work and the reception has been lukewarm regardless of its actual sound quality.

I'm hopeful someone like JPS releases their Abyss closed at sub $3k for a reality check. I also feel RAAL is about to give everybody a real rude awakening in the headphone space.
For sure, it's a race to the top in terms of price, and we consumers have to recognise that we're complicit in pushing these prices up. Part of it is FOMO demand but probably the other part is some kind of bling like factor, which is certainly unpleasant (to say nothing here of cables costing 4k and beyond).

If the closed back Abyss comes in under 3k, then certainly that would be welcome.

I'm not familiar enough with the history of Dan Clark Audio - other than demoing several of the headphones and not being impressed - to get a sense of their pricing policy, but I agree it's an ambitious/aggressive strategy.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #2,322 of 6,329
All this talk about DCA and the stealth makes me want to buy an æon 2 noire again :p
My last endeavour in the closed-back realm was to pad swap the Celestee; first by the "stellia limited edition" Dekoni pads and later the Radiance pads. I like the Radiance pads quite a lot actually! They remind me of the true Stellia pads but black. Full grain leather has such a nice feeling to it, both in the hand on on the head. I have the feeling that the Radiance pads also increase the stage width a bit on the Celestee. I'm, going to swap the pads around a bit tomorrow to do some proper testing.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #2,325 of 6,329
For sure, it's a race to the top in terms of price, and we consumers have to recognise that we're complicit in pushing these prices up. Part of it is FOMO demand but probably the other part is some kind of bling like factor, which is certainly unpleasant (to say nothing here of cables costing 4k and beyond).

If the closed back Abyss comes in under 3k, then certainly that would be welcome.

I'm not familiar enough with the history of Dan Clark Audio - other than demoing several of the headphones and not being impressed - to get a sense of their pricing policy, but I agree it's an ambitious/aggressive strategy.
It definitely is a race to the top whatever that is; money, money, money. LOL

It's a good thing I give back to the community with great sale prices.

It was refreshing to see RAAL release a system within a nominally affordable and realistic price structure. Likewise, it was cool to see the LCD-R show some of the same attitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back