The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Aug 16, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #2,281 of 6,351
Focal Radiance open box:
https://www.headphones.com/collections/open-box-deals/products/focal-radiance-open-box

These are the Bentley version (I don't know if there is another). Or there are LCD-2c's on Ebay for I think $300 less. Is this a reasonable option or are the Ebay deals the way to go?
Unfortunately, the Radiance only comes with the Bentley branding; there is no version of this headphone that does away with that gaudy logo (IMO).

When the Celestee was first announced, I was hoping that it was going to be the Radiance sans Bentley; sadly, no, that was not the case.

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #2,282 of 6,351
Aug 18, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #2,283 of 6,351
Headphones.com is a great seller (reputation and interaction-based, I have not bought from them personally) and I’d buy from them myself without hesitation. eBay works well too, but your return options are better with Headphones.com. I would recommend confirming warranty status on the Focals before buying though. My experience with Focal customer service through a good dealer has been too-notch.

With regards to the choice between these two headphones, the Radiance will give you the opportunity to return them if you hate them (unlikely but just in case). Possible restocking fee though.

Since you can’t listen pre-purchase, you could consider how much weight matters to you. The Audezes are heavy, though well-distributed. If that is a possible issue, the Radiance are definitely the more comfortable choice.

Good luck!
I think I remember reading in a review that the Bentley version of the reviewed headphones was inferior to the standard version -- I just don't remember which pair it was. Is there a non-Bentley Radiance version? (edit) I just read Malevolent's post. I'm still pretty sure I read a review that had a Bentley version that deviated from the standard. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the Celestee's. I'll web-search for the answer.

Regarding returns, that is not an option for the open-box pair I linked. $1k is really hard to swallow, and without a return option. I do see the Celestee's for $792. I've got to do some more reading to see which cans are going to be the best for me. Oh, and with Ebay, I worry about the number of hours on the cans & wear I can't see on the pictures. That said, there is a good chance I will be going with Ebay. Without a sale, I'm likely to go with used or open box.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #2,284 of 6,351
No, actually, I don't think the LCD-2 Classic sounds anything like the LCD-2 Closed Back. The Classic is darker, lusher and has a weightier tone. The Closed Back, on the other hand, is brighter and leaner, with a slightly warm tilt; bass has greater impact, too.

Essentially, the LCD-2 Classic bears the traditional hallmarks of the Audeze LCD sound - tamed, smoother treble, with a lush, rounded timbre. The Closed Back? Not so much - it deviates from the template by providing greater energy in the highs, and providing a more robust and tight presentation in its lows.
Then the closed version is for me. I don't want bass-heavy (I've eq'ed my 1770's down a decibel below 100Hz) but I need to feel the bass as well as hear it. Whatever the genre, the music is usually energetic and fun -- something to lift my mood rather than relax to. That's not to say I'm not a critical listener, though. Does that help anyone point me towards the Focals or LCD-2's?

Aug 18, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #2,285 of 6,351
I think I remember reading in a review that the Bentley version of the reviewed headphones was inferior to the standard version -- I just don't remember which pair it was. Is there a non-Bentley Radiance version? (edit) I just read Malevolent's post. I'm still pretty sure I read a review that had a Bentley version that deviated from the standard. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the Celestee's. I'll web-search for the answer.

Regarding returns, that is not an option for the open-box pair I linked. $1k is really hard to swallow, and without a return option. I do see the Celestee's for $792. I've got to do some more reading to see which cans are going to be the best for me. Oh, and with Ebay, I worry about the number of hours on the cans & wear I can't see on the pictures. That said, there is a good chance I will be going with Ebay. Without a sale, I'm likely to go with used or open box.

Ok, I think I was confused by this passage of a review (https://www.headphones.com/communit...review-best-new-closed-back-headphone-in-2021:
Additionally, the Celestee goes back to the standard porting system through the flame logo that was used in the Stellia and Elegia (the air has to go somewhere), which is different from the rear side porting system of the Radiance. Speaking with Megane Montabonel, Product Manager at Focal, she explained that this only makes a minor difference, and the main reason for the change in the Radiance was to accommodate the Bently collaboration design ideas.
That's probably it. Question answered. Thanks. :)

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #2,286 of 6,351
I'm saving my money up for a TH-900 MK2. The TR-X00 PH were my favorite headphones (RIP) and I've been searching for awhile for a worthy upgrade but skipping over the TH-900 each time since It was just a bit too much. I've been thinking about picking up one used. I feel like I see them pop up for 1k-1.2k which isn't a bad deal.

I found a pair of open box ones for £1k. I felt guilty and anxious buying them blind but so glad that I did.
After listening to several ‘neutral’ but ultimate boring headphones, these are so engaging. If you like to ‘rock out’ these are the best I’ve heard for that.
Note that I haven’t heard the D9200’s which are supposed to be excellent also.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #2,287 of 6,351
2019 LCD_XC vs. Elegia (Sheepskin)

I couldn't justify a pair of Stellias, so I picked up some woody LCD-XCs. The wood cups look so classy.

I find the LCD-XC to be brighter and more resolving than the Elegia with Dekoni sheepskin pads. The sound stage opens up and instrument isolation is much better. I am hearing tiny details across 180 degrees.

The bass is less boomy - much cleaner and tight. Mid range (vocals) are more forward and crisp. Treble is much brighter, but this works well for my 70+ old-guy ears.

Fit... 730 grams takes some trial and effort to get a comfy fit. First, leather head band was touching the spring steel so I had to adjust the strap by about 8mm on each side (see picture). I need to support the cans behind my head. My La-Z-Boy recliner works. Also lying on my bed or sofa with a soft pillow also takes the weight off. Comfy now :)

My Fiio M11 Pro balanced output drives the LCD-XC nicely.

I find the sound isolation to very good. Checked for loose screws on the cups - no issues.

I am not letting go of the Elegias however. I find the build quality to be excellent, and they are very comfortable, especially at my desk. With the more neutral fenestrated Dekoni pads, they complement the LCD-XC nicely.

Here is a Bass Heavy playlist for enjoying what the LCD-XC has to offer:

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/333e7833-4956-4cc7-af27-e7891910ceeb

Attachments

• DSCF2475c.jpg
    DSCF2475c.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 18, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,288 of 6,351
I found a pair of open box ones for £1k. I felt guilty and anxious buying them blind but so glad that I did.
After listening to several ‘neutral’ but ultimate boring headphones, these are so engaging. If you like to ‘rock out’ these are the best I’ve heard for that.
I’ve been seeing them pop up for around there so I think I’m going to grab a used pair. I don’t mind. Rock out is what I’m looking to do hah.

Aug 18, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,289 of 6,351
Unfortunately, the Radiance only comes with the Bentley branding; there is no version of this headphone that does away with that gaudy logo (IMO).

When the Celestee was first announced, I was hoping that it was going to be the Radiance sans Bentley; sadly, no, that was not the case.
I auditioned the Focal Radiance. To me they sound just like the Elegia with Dekoni Sheepskin pads.

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #2,290 of 6,351
Then the closed version is for me. I don't want bass-heavy (I've eq'ed my 1770's down a decibel below 100Hz) but I need to feel the bass as well as hear it. Whatever the genre, the music is usually energetic and fun -- something to lift my mood rather than relax to. That's not to say I'm not a critical listener, though. Does that help anyone point me towards the Focals or LCD-2's?

I think it points towards the LCDs, personally. I don't feel like my 2 closed are giving up much detail at all to the Elegia, and I honestly feel like it has a bit more depth and layering, but it has much bigger bass and just a meatier sound overall.

I also agree that the 2 closed and 2 classic sound little alike. Curiosity got the best of me and I bought a 2 classic to compare... it's nice, but to my ear the differences are exactly as @Malevolent described.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #2,292 of 6,351
I think it points towards the LCDs, personally. I don't feel like my 2 closed are giving up much detail at all to the Elegia, and I honestly feel like it has a bit more depth and layering, but it has much bigger bass and just a meatier sound overall.

I also agree that the 2 closed and 2 classic sound little alike. Curiosity got the best of me and I bought a 2 classic to compare... it's nice, but to my ear the differences are exactly as @Malevolent described.
I just purchased these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304101481290. If you can't see it, it's an open-box LCD-2 Closed (or did I just buy closed-box Opens?? :laughing:), the later model with the "Audeze" brand printed on the cups. I'm very happy with the price paid ($625 + tax), the seller's (tradeportusa) good reputation/feedback, the condition, the return policy, and the headphone's quality & characteristics (based on input here).

Thanks everyone for your advice and your patience!

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #2,293 of 6,351
I wouldn't describe the LCD-2 Closed Back as being "bass heavy"; rather, the bass it produces is a couple of notches north of neutral. The lows have adequate impact and are sufficiently fast. It also retains decent levels of energy, thanks to prominent, but not overbearing, highs.

Focal has a wide range of headphones available - in the closed-back space, they have the Elegia, the Celestee, the Radiance, and the Stellia. The first 2 are no better than the Audeze, IMO. Thus, if you are looking for a good closed can around the $1,000 mark, the LCD-2 Closed Back is a stellar pick.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #2,294 of 6,351
The TH900 Mk2 is one of the most dynamic and exciting headphones on the market - Fostex knew what they were getting into when they tuned this classic. They harnessed the (supreme) bass ability of the bio-cellulose driver, and paired it with a brilliant treble section to afford one of the best-sounding "v-shaped" headphones in the contemporary sphere.

If you're looking at the AH-D9200 as a "better" TH900 Mk2, it's not. It won't deliver the sheer energy and engagement that the TH900 Mk2 brings to the table. I'm not saying that it's bad, though; it's not - the Denon happens to be my favorite headphone after all - however, the Fostex is rather unique in the top-end headphone game. There's nothing like it. :)

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #2,295 of 6,351
Would a VC be a good pairing for an 800s? Considering used utopia or VC but not sure on the two. Would be powering it on Asgard 3 for either one.
If you enjoy the signature of the HD 800 S, I don't think that you will be particularly enamored with the sound of the Vérité Closed. The ZMF is darker in tone, with a lusher, rounder timbre, and a heavier bass presence.

On the other hand, the Utopia comes closer to the HD 800 S in crafting a relatively neutral presentation. The Utopia has a fuller, richer sound, though. Thus, if you are looking for a slightly-warmer HD 800 S, albeit one with equally fantastic resolving capabilities, go straight for the Focal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back