The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Dec 26, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #3,196 of 6,351
I wish I could stretch my budget for a Burson. I just picked up the Monolith THX AAA 887 as it's on sale, passing on the new K9 Pro. Figured the price couldn't be beat. Sunk remaining Christmas budget into a t50rp and figured I'd have fun (or frustrations, we'll see) experimenting with modding that thing. Maybe I can have it fill my closed planar needs.

(PS: I think I'm now addicted)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #3,197 of 6,351
The SRH1540 seems to be the HD650 of closed backs. It's one that ALWAYS shows up when talking about top quality closed sets that don't break the bank.
My ears just seem to gel with them.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #3,198 of 6,351
Yes, good point- I bought a knitted cover on Amazon which helped, but a more “proper” cushion would be even better, I’m sure. 👍
I have the HD280 cover. My AKG K812 headphones are more comfy, but I prefer the SRH1540 sound, especially with the Sony units.

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #3,199 of 6,351
I wish I could stretch my budget for a Burson. I just picked up the Monolith THX AAA 887 as it's on sale, passing on the new K9 Pro. Figured the price couldn't be beat. Sunk remaining Christmas budget into a t50rp and figured I'd have fun (or frustrations, we'll see) experimenting with modding that thing. Maybe I can have it fill my closed planar needs.

(PS: I think I'm now addicted)
Just stay here and don't go to Summit-fi forum... And if you don't want to spend money in DACs and AMPs, just in headphones, visit the Sound Science sub-forum :relaxed:

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #3,200 of 6,351
Closed Back Planars List

A couple weeks ago, I was looking for a pair of planar magnetic headphones. The catch was, I didn't just want planars, I wanted something special: namely, closed back planars. As it turned out, despite a great deal of searching, I could not find a consolidated list of all of the big players in the (non-vintage--looking at you Yamaha) scene. A list on drop came close, but still was missing a lot. So, after doing my own research on the current options, I figured I'd post my findings here; the following is a list of all the Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphones that I am currently aware of.
Before we get to the list, please note a few things. First, as discussed in the footnotes, semi-open planars are also listed, as are (not listed in the footnotes) "pseudo-planars," such as the Drop Panda, which uses technically uses a planar technology somewhere between "dynamic" and "planar magnetic" but is basically just a planar. Finally, ultra rare/vintage+discontinued cans, such as the old Yamaha planars (literally the first planars ever made) have not been included, for what are to me obvious reasons.
And without further ado:

• AUDEZE EL-8*
  • AUDEZE EL-8 Titanium*
  • AUDEZE LCD-1 Closed*
  • AUDEZE SINE*
  • AUDEZE LCD-XC
  • AUDEZE LCD-2
  • AUDEZE Mobius
  • AUDEZE Penrose
  • Blue Microphone Ella
  • Dan Clark Audio ÆON Closed X
  • Dan Clark Audio ÆON Flow Closed
  • Dan Clark Audio ÆON RT Closed
  • Dan Clark Audio ÆON 2 Closed†
  • Dan Clark Audio ÆON 2 Noir Closed
  • Dan Clark Audio Ether C
  • Dan Clark Audio Ether CX
  • Dan Clark Audio Ether Flow C
  • Dan Clark Audio Stealth
  • Dekoni Audio x Fostex Blue‡§
  • Drop Panda
  • Fostex T20RPMK3†§
  • Fostex T40RPMK3†§
  • Fostex T50RPMK3†§
  • Fostex T60RPMK3†§
  • HIFIMAN HE-R10P
  • Kennerton Rognir Bog Oak
  • Meze Audio LIRIC
  • Mod House Argon Mk3†‡§
  • Monoprice Monolith M565C
  • Monoprice Monolith M1060C
  • Monoprice Monolith M1070C
  • Monoprice Monolith M1570C
  • Oppo PM-3*
  • ZMF Blackwood Closed§
  • ZMF Ori§

* Discontinued Product
† Latest Generation, earlier versions not included
‡ The Mod House Argons and the Dekoni Audio x Fostex Blue are Fostex T50RP Clones
§ Fostex RP Series (and their modded variants) are all semi-open, not true closed back, but were included in the interest of being forthcoming

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #3,201 of 6,351
Closed Back Planars List

A couple weeks ago, I was looking for a pair of planar magnetic headphones. The catch was, I didn't just want planars, I wanted something special: namely, closed back planars. As it turned out, despite a great deal of searching, I could not find a consolidated list of all of the big players in the (non-vintage--looking at you Yamaha) scene. A list on drop came close, but still was missing a lot. So, after doing my own research on the current options, I figured I'd post my findings here; the following is a list of all the Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphones that I am currently aware of.
Before we get to the list, please note a few things. First, as discussed in the footnotes, semi-open planars are also listed, as are (not listed in the footnotes) "pseudo-planars," such as the Drop Panda, which uses technically uses a planar technology somewhere between "dynamic" and "planar magnetic" but is basically just a planar. Finally, ultra rare/vintage+discontinued cans, such as the old Yamaha planars (literally the first planars ever made) have not been included, for what are to me obvious reasons.
And without further ado:

AUDEZE EL-8*
AUDEZE EL-8 Titanium*
AUDEZE LCD-1 Closed*
AUDEZE SINE*
AUDEZE LCD-XC
AUDEZE LCD-2
AUDEZE Mobius
Dan Clarke Audio ÆON 2 Closed†
Dan Clarke Audio ÆON Closed X
Dan Clarke Audio ÆON 2 Noir Closed
Dan Clarke Audio Ether C Flow
Dekoni Audio x Fostex Blue‡§
Drop Panda
Fostex T20RPMK3†§
Fostex T40RPMK3†§
Fostex T50RPMK3†§
Fostex T60RPMK3†§
HIFIMAN HE-R10P
Mod House Argon Mk3†‡§
Monoprice Monolith M565C
Monoprice Monolith M1060C
Monoprice Monolith M1070C
Monoprice Monolith M1570C
Oppo PM-3*

* Discontinued Product
‡ The Mod House Argons and the Dekoni Audio x Fostex Blue are Fostex T50RP Clones
§ Fostex RP Series (and their modded variants) are all semi-open, not true closed back, but were included in the interest of being forthcoming
You can add the Kennerton Rognir and the Meze Audio LIRIC to your list, too. :)

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #3,204 of 6,351
Closed Back Planars List

And without further ado:

AUDEZE EL-8*
AUDEZE EL-8 Titanium*
AUDEZE LCD-1 Closed*
AUDEZE SINE*
AUDEZE LCD-XC
AUDEZE LCD-2
AUDEZE Mobius
Drop Panda
Fostex T20RPMK3†§
Fostex T40RPMK3†§
Fostex T50RPMK3†§
Fostex T60RPMK3†§
HIFIMAN HE-R10P
Mod House Argon Mk3†‡§
Monoprice Monolith M565C
Oppo PM-3*

* Discontinued Product
By the way, out of curiosity, why do you want closed-back planars specifically? :)

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #3,205 of 6,351
🤪 Hey! Do you not realise that music is a necessary nuisance to enjoy gear?…🤪😜
Here's a bit of audiophile humor for you guys! :wink:

1640602046802.png

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #3,206 of 6,351
Good catch.

Uhm, the fact that I completely forgot about the Stealth speaks volumes, huh? :sweat_smile:
Ha, I was thinking the same myself...! It only occured to me because the list cited several DCA headphones....otherwise, likely forgotten :)

Wishing you and all the good folks on this thread a happy Christmas!

Dec 27, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #3,208 of 6,351
The DC Stealth has kinda been greeted with mixed reviews. I would really like to hear them, but it is a big ticket for a listen.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #3,209 of 6,351
The OLLO S4R 1.1 arrived today. Such a cute little headphone.
Build quality is outstanding. Perhaps one of the best things about these is that *everything* is user-replaceable. From pads to headband, cups to drivers. 5 years warranty.
My ears barely fit in the 90mm cups but they are deep and soft.
s4r 1.1.jpg
I got some 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters so I can use the cables I already got for my Clear and I am running these now balanced from the Lake People RS-08.
Bended the headband a bit for less clamp. Can wear them all day now without issue while they still seal off. These are the most neutral and thus boring headphones I got and I love them for it. For a more fun listed I add a shelf of 5dB at 80hz, 1q to provide some extra bass.
The stage has quite a size but the centre demands most of the attention. Mid forward they lend themselves for vocals. The live-in-studio recordings albums like for example Omega Alive by Epica really shine with these. Recommended!

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #3,210 of 6,351
Closed Back Planars List

And without further ado:

AUDEZE EL-8*
AUDEZE EL-8 Titanium*
AUDEZE LCD-1 Closed*
AUDEZE SINE*
AUDEZE LCD-XC
AUDEZE LCD-2
AUDEZE Mobius
Drop Panda
Fostex T20RPMK3†§
Fostex T40RPMK3†§
Fostex T50RPMK3†§
Fostex T60RPMK3†§
HIFIMAN HE-R10P
Mod House Argon Mk3†‡§
Monoprice Monolith M565C
Oppo PM-3*

* Discontinued Product
You missed the LSA HP-2's from Underwood HiFi (made by Kennerton).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back