The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Nov 5, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #796 of 6,351
Nov 5, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #797 of 6,351
Yeah there were two vendors posts about this. But I didn't find any source in Europe. I read only 100 will be produced.

Does anybody know the numbers for the other versions? I saw somewhere the Sapphires was 300 units. I don't know if it's correct. How many Greens? Any other special editions?

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #799 of 6,351
Maybe I had a first sight low expectation on sound, but so far: great, even though I am positive they improve with time. The peak on highs is there, nothing uncomfortable but well compensated with a “high resolution” signature, specially on treble and mids. In a couple of days I’ll give full impressions.

Regarding comfort? Just wow... top notch.!!
On my very first audition, the one thing that struck me was the MDR-Z1R's impressive ability to generate coherent, luscious and powerful bass. The lows are usually the first portion of a headphone's sound that I analyze, and the Sony's prowess in this aspect was immediately apparent. Even today, the Sony flagship remains one of the champs in the bass department.

The rest of the signature is great, by my personal ideals, but they have their own quirky foibles. The lows however, are immaculate, IMO. :)

Nov 6, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #800 of 6,351
That white TH900 Mk2 is simply gorgeous.

I'd jump on that if I didn't already own the stock red version. The white and blue limited-edition models are truly stunning. Even the green version is fabulous.

Anyone in here buying this beauty? :wink:

Nov 6, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #801 of 6,351
That white TH900 Mk2 is simply gorgeous.

I'd jump on that if I didn't already own the stock red version. The white and blue limited-edition models are truly stunning. Even the green version is fabulous.

Anyone in here buying this beauty? :wink:
If I was to buy another high-end closed back, it would probably be the TH900 MkII. It's been of interest to me for a while and the white edition does look compelling.

I'm sure you've covered this, but how does the MkII compares to, say, the AWKT and the VC on a technical level?

Nov 6, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #802 of 6,351
If I was to buy another high-end closed back, it would probably be the TH900 MkII. It's been of interest to me for a while and the white edition does look compelling.

I'm sure you've covered this, but how does the MkII compares to, say, the AWKT and the VC on a technical level?
I have yet to compare the TH900 Mk2 in a mano a mano with the Vérité Closed. However, I (slightly) prefer the Denon AH-D9200 to the TH900 Mk2 in every aspect except for bass; here, the sheer presence of the lows on the Fostex is potent and visceral, with a satisfying rumble into the lowest sub-bass depths. Both have articulate and well-textured lows, but the TH900 Mk2 has the more tactile lows - they are extremely addictive.

The Denon has slightly better resolution throughout - detail reproduction is less challenging here than on the Fostex. The AH-D9200 also has better control of its highs; the TH900 Mk2 has a strident treble section, owing to a few runaway peaks.

The TH900 Mk2 is a great headphone in and of itself; however, the AH-D9200's overall balance, and a slight lead in technicalities awards it a victory over its Japanese rival. The Fostex is the more energetic headphone, though, thanks to equally prominent bass and treble regions.

Nov 6, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #803 of 6,351
Trying the Sony Z7s... Arrived today:

Trying-Z7-2.jpg

Trying-Z7.jpg

I'm liking them, but just tried with a few songs... They are second hand so no physical burning needed (just mental, most important for me). Comfort is exceptional :)

Nov 7, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #804 of 6,351
Here are my 1st impressions about the MDR-Z1R:

Comfort

Great comfort in the headband, enough space for my oval head (I took the arms to the maximum length) and ample room in the ear pads. The plush is really top of the line, some say the ear pads are like pillows, and well… they aren’t wrong.

Comfort is always a thing for me, especially on the headband´s length, like my last bad experience with the D9200, which I ended returning.

The only thing that´s bothering me is the weight and the clamp pressure which is quite harder than other HPs but it should be a matter of time to loosen up.

8.0/10
Better HP in this category
: AP2000ti, maybe because they are really light vs the Z1r.

Sound Quality

Highs

The first hours listening the highs were kind of awkward, unbalanced, however with time you start to appreciate the level of detail and resolution in its own way. Sony´s way. No sibilant at all for me, maybe an excessive amount of air in the higher frequencies, giving a sense of an artificial sound.

After 3 days of continuously burn-in, the highs are now very detailed, more balanced with plenty of air, but now more natural, not fatiguing, well defined and made me feel pretty satisfied.

9.0/10
Better HP in this category:
AP2000ti again and the D9200.

Mids

I was expecting recessed mids, the truth?... not really. The mids have a precise amount of presence, the voices are lush, thick, with a lot of meat, but well defined and really “high resolution”, complementing the highs with propriety. First time I hear this signature, very unique and pleasant, which I really enjoy.

Personally, I prefer more crispy notes, so I used the MSEB on my Hiby R6 and the Z1R responded really well with only 5 ticks (out of 100).

8.5/10
AP2000ti, MSR7B, D9200.

Lows

The way the bass sounds is unprecedented for me, visceral, meaty, with a lot of rumble and punch, not bloated, not boomy, well defined and again a "high resolution" sound which complements the sound signature in an awesome and fun way. Hands down.

I didn’t know I was a basshead, maybe because in the past I only heard “bad” lows on poor quality headphones, so uncomfortable that headaches appeared almost immediately, however I really enjoyed a 15 inch sub-woofer back in the 80s.

Usually, before I heard this master way that lows are presented here, I preferred a tight bass, but as a role player, fast, snappy and also crisp and well defined. Maybe I wanted a little more of these here, not that the Z1r is not enough, I just want more of these characteristics, like the ones I experienced with the D9200.

9/10
None.

Final thoughts

For $1.699 the value proposition is the best I’ve had in my short journey. The Z1r cover all the bases and check all the boxes so far, there’s nothing derailleur that’s making me doubt of whether I keep them or not.

I’m expecting the Sony Kimble cable soon, with low expectations, not because I don’t believe great recommendations as @Redcarmoose did to me with this cable, it’s just because I’m really satisfied right now with what I have.

Finally, I’m going to give the TH900 mk2 a shot, now that it comes in White Pearl, is a pretty incentive to have a taste of Fostex and see how are compared with Sony´s flagship.

Gear used: Hiby R6 Pro, balanced 4.4 mm in high gain.

Music: R&B, Folk, Rock, Inidie, Pop and a lot of Contemporary Jazz, all with a personal flac library.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #805 of 6,351

Comfort

Great comfort in the headband, enough space for my oval head (I took the arms to the maximum length) and ample room in the ear pads. The plush is really top of the line, some say the ear pads are like pillows, and well… they aren’t wrong.

Comfort is always a thing for me, especially on the headband´s length, like my last bad experience with the D9200, which I ended returning.

The only thing that´s bothering me is the weight and the clamp pressure which is quite harder than other HPs but it should be a matter of time to loosen up.

8.0/10

Sound Quality

Highs

The first hours listening the highs were kind of awkward, unbalanced, however with time you start to appreciate the level of detail and resolution in its own way. Sony´s way. No sibilant at all for me, maybe an excessive amount of air in the higher frequencies, giving a sense of an artificial sound.

After 3 days of continuously burn-in, the highs are now very detailed, more balanced with plenty of air, but now more natural, not fatiguing, well defined and made me feel pretty satisfied.

9.0/10

Mids

I was expecting recessed mids, the truth?... not really. The mids have a precise amount of presence, the voices are lush, thick, with a lot of meat, but well defined and really “high resolution”, complementing the highs with propriety. First time I hear this signature, very unique and pleasant, which I really enjoy.

Personally, I prefer more crispy notes, so I used the MSEB on my Hiby R6 and the Z1R responded really well with only 5 ticks (out of 100).

8.5/10
AP2000ti, MSR7B, D9200.

Lows

The way the bass sounds is unprecedented form me, visceral, meaty, with a lot of rumble and punch, not bloated, not boomy, well defined and again a "high resolution" sound which complements the sound signature in an awesome and fun way. Hands down.

I didn’t know I was a basshead, maybe because in the past I only heard “bad” lows on poor quality headphones, so uncomfortable that headaches appeared almost immediately, however I really enjoyed a 15 inch sub-woofer back in the 80s.

Usually, before I heard this master way that lows are presented here, I preferred a tight bass, but as a role player, fast, snappy and also crisp and well defined. Maybe I wanted a little more of these here, not that the Z1r is not enough, I just want more of these characteristics, like the ones I experienced with the D9200.

9/10
None.

Final thoughts

For $1.699 the value proposition is the best I’ve had in my short journey. The Z1r cover all the bases and check all the boxes so far, there’s nothing derailleur that’s making me doubt of whether I keep them or not.

I’m expecting the Sony Kimble cable soon, with low expectations, not because I don’t believe great recommendations as @Redcarmoose did to me with this cable, it’s just because I’m really satisfied right now with what I have.

Finally, I’m going to give the TH900 mk2 a shot, now that it comes in White Pearl, is a pretty incentive to have a taste of Fostex and see how are compared with Sony´s flagship.

Music: R&B, Folk, Rock, Inidie, Pop and a lot of Contemporary Jazz, all with a personal flac library.
Great impressions! It's nice to see another MDR-Z1R convert. :) The bass on this headphone is something special, IMO. It isn't overly excessive, but rather, slightly boosted, but tastefully done.

I'll add your impressions to the list.

Nov 7, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #806 of 6,351

Comfort

8.0/10

Sound Quality

Highs

9.0/10

Mids

8.5/10
AP2000ti, MSR7B, D9200.

Lows

The way the bass sounds is unprecedented form me, visceral, meaty, with a lot of rumble and punch, not bloated, not boomy, well defined and again a "high resolution" sound which complements the sound signature in an awesome and fun way. Hands down.

9/10
None.

Final thoughts

Ya......the whole due diligence thing with cables.

Like you have to do it and not leave the stone unturned.

That one aspect has to be slightly annoying. Especially when you have this side group...........emotional and sternly opinionated. Those ones who are vocal about something which is difficult to prove. The public opinion simultaneously held contradictory by two groups......undocumented by science!

But just wait! I’m looking forward to your cable!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #807 of 6,351
Ya......the whole due diligence thing with cables.

Like you have to do it and not leave the stone unturned.

That one aspect has to be slightly annoying. Especially when you have this side group...........emotional and sternly opinionated. Those ones who are vocal about something which is difficult to prove. The public opinion simultaneously held contradictory by two groups......undocumented by science!

But just wait! I’m looking forward to your cable!
In fact, maybe I'm already contaminated by the cable thing, but as you said I'm not leaving the stone unturned.

The Sony Kimber and the Silver Dragon for the TH900 are going to be my personal confirmation of which side I believe more.

Right now I'm kind of agnostic on this matter but I'm going through and I'll try, because there's no other way than prove this by myself. :)

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #808 of 6,351
In fact, maybe I'm already contaminated by the cable thing, but as you said I'm not leaving the stone unturned.

The Sony Kimber and the Silver Dragon for the TH900 are going to be my personal confirmation of which side I believe more.

Right now I'm kind of agnostic on this matter but I'm going through and I'll try, because there's no other way than prove this by myself. :)

The scary part is the AXIOS owners....here. :)

https://www.kimber.com/axios

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #809 of 6,351

They just gave me the Kimber as an promo addition special with the MDR-Z1R. Plus they were sold out and had to give me demo-floor model cable. Otherwise I would maybe not have it.......though after testing.....I’m a believer?

Nov 8, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #810 of 6,351
Edit:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back