The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Nov 3, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #767 of 6,351
Beats, headphones for DJ? :smiley:
If anything, we both know you have a lot more to add about bass :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
If only I had a fuller grasp of the modern stuff.
I havn't even visited my local hifi store to audition anything in months ._.

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #768 of 6,351
Nov 3, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #770 of 6,351
Nice review! Having personally sat with both the lcd-2 and the aeon2 for a few hours, I MUCH preferred the Aeon2. It was very comfortable, had very good isolation, and great sound. It's a very nice HP for the money. I was quite astonished at the weight of the lcd-2.... like having a brick on your head! A brick with pads anyway.

A couple things I'd toss in as well:
1- The Aeon2's come with 'tuning pads', so you can make slight adjustments to the sound to fit the specific preference to what you ears like best. Personally I thoroughly enjoyed the bright & forward treble, so I kept them stock.

2- the Aeon2 has an impedance and sensitivity combination that makes them all but un-useable for a direct connection to either cell phone or computer sound card, unless you have an amp (the Ether C Flow 1.1 is also built similarly). Without an amp, at full volume - 100/100 - on my computer, the sound was about the same as other HP's with the sound at 30-40/100.
Yes, the AEON 2 Closed has a very pleasant signature; evidently, it was tuned for general musical enjoyment, as opposed to the typical audiophile-focused signature that most headphones at or above its price range embody. What makes it even better is its all-round top-notch comfort - I have been using the AEON 2 Closed since this review was published, and my ears (and my head) are in pretty decent shape still.

With regard to point 2, I'm in total agreement. Indeed, it is the most difficult to drive of the 3 headphones in this shootout.

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #771 of 6,351
Feels a bit odd throwing the Campfire Audio into a shootout between two closed-back planars, not to mention it's rather 'unique' tuning.
That said... what on earth would make a more logical comparison with the Campfire?.... B+W P9?.... DT1770 Pro?....

Nice write up though. Sometimes it's good to compare the ones that are wildly different too, especially if, like me, you enjoy a variety of flavours.
This shootout was requested by another member of the forum; he was mulling over these 3 cans, so I thought I'd help him, as best I can, with his decision. To be honest, I would have preferred to compare the 2 planars with the Focal Elegia and/or the Sony MDR-Z7M2 instead. Oh, well.. that could be a comparative review for another day. :)

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #772 of 6,351
This shootout was requested by another member of the forum; he was mulling over these 3 cans, so I thought I'd help him, as best I can, with his decision. To be honest, I would have preferred to compare the 2 planars with the Focal Elegia and/or the Sony MDR-Z7M2 instead. Oh, well.. that could be a comparative review for another day. :)

I think you need to pick up a Kennerton Magni and Gjallarhorn to add to the comparison. At least that would help me... :D

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #773 of 6,351
I think you need to pick up a Kennerton Magni and Gjallarhorn to add to the comparison. At least that would help me... :D
My local distributor stocks a few Kennerton products; they used to have a Magni on sale, but I no longer see it listed on the site. If I can get a hold of either headphone, I'll be happy to provide my impressions. I'll let you know if I can get my hands on them. :)

Nov 3, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #775 of 6,351
Nov 3, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #776 of 6,351
Feels a bit odd throwing the Campfire Audio into a shootout between two closed-back planars, not to mention it's rather 'unique' tuning.
That said... what on earth would make a more logical comparison with the Campfire?.... B+W P9?.... DT1770 Pro?....

Nice write up though. Sometimes it's good to compare the ones that are wildly different too, especially if, like me, you enjoy a variety of flavours.
D7200. :sunglasses:

Nov 4, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #777 of 6,351
Honestly, I would've loved to see a comparison between the LCD-2 closed, A2C and Elegia - I've heard all three but despite having positive impressions of the Audeze and Focal; that was in february and perceptions can greatly change in over a half year's worth of time!

Great comparison nonetheless! Next thing we know you'll be one of the quality reviewers on youtube haha :o2smile:

Nov 4, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #778 of 6,351
Hmmm.... 7200 is more like 'harman target' than eXtrEMe bAsS though.
Seems like you either you have to go into the stratosphere of MDR-Z1R and TH900, or stay in 'dirty-peasant mid-fi' with Meze Classic and Audioquest Night-birds...
Of course, this is completely ignoring EQ possibilities and going back in time with 2nd-hand and vintage options.

Nov 4, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #779 of 6,351
Hmmm.... 7200 is more like 'harman target' than eXtrEMe bAsS though.
Seems like you either you have to go into the stratosphere of MDR-Z1R and TH900, or stay in 'dirty-peasant mid-fi' with Meze Classic and Audioquest Night-birds...
Of course, this is completely ignoring EQ possibilities and going back in time with 2nd-hand and vintage options.
Maybe.
But my reply belongs to the "more logical comparison to the cascade" sentence, other than to (extreme) bass. :)
Well, in case of my other headphones, the D7200 is the most "bassiest" one, which could be to much sometimes with certain genres.
But that's how i hear it, of course.

Nov 4, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #780 of 6,351
The closed back Kennerton's are something special.
Another way of getting them and rather cheap is by ordering from Underwood hifi. They send world wide, you just cannot choose your own wood.
Ahh, I see. It appears that the LSA HP-2 Ultra is a rebadge of the Kennerton Gjallarhorn. It is a fair bit cheaper, too.. but the Kennerton headphones look a lot more classy, though. Mmm. I wish there was a way I could audition this headphone. They look very interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back