The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Nov 2, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #736 of 6,351
I really recommend the BE-2 pads. I thought that I'd be opting for the Vérité pads, but there's some kind of magic in the BE-2, which sounds excellent. Bass is super satisfying and the treble also seems more airy. They're about $70 each. I also bought the co-pilot pad, which I will try at some point. I find the VC perfectly comfortable, but I'm curious to try it.

BTW: took two days from Chicago to Vienna via Fed-Ex - impressive!
Would I be correct in guessing the co-pilot is too small for the AWAS/AWKT?

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #738 of 6,351
I

The AEON 2 Closed is a strong contemporary to the LCD-2 Closed Back. These headphones have a few similarities, but also, thanks to markedly-different tuning decisions, also sound quite distinct from each other.

The LCD-2 Closed Back has a leaner sound throughout, with a lighter presence in its lows through its mids. Bass is sculpted, with a snappier presentation, coupled with tight, fast beats. The Dan Clark headphone, on the other hand, has a warmer, fuller tonality. In contrast with its Audeze rival, the AEON 2 Closed has a more intimate sound; there is a touch more mid-bass, resulting in greater impact. If the LCD-2 Closed Back is light and swift on its feet, the AEON 2 Closed struggles to keep up, but makes its presence felt that little bit more with each step forward.

To be honest, if budget isn't a major concern for you, I'd rank the options in the following manner -

1) Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back
2) Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed (just a smidgen behind)
3) Focal Elegia

The only reason to consider the Focal is its price. Otherwise, go for either of the top 2 headphones. They offer a more compelling and engaging sound.
So how does the Elegia compare to the other two?

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #739 of 6,351
I really recommend the BE-2 pads. I thought that I'd be opting for the Vérité pads, but there's some kind of magic in the BE-2, which sounds excellent. Bass is super satisfying and the treble also seems more airy. They're about $70 each. I also bought the co-pilot pad, which I will try at some point. I find the VC perfectly comfortable, but I'm curious to try it.

BTW: took two days from Chicago to Vienna via Fed-Ex - impressive!
Great! Looks like I might have to order some BE-2 pads myself. There are 4 options, which did you choose? Thanks! :)

I have a Pilot Pad on the way, too (a freebie with my order). I'll post some impressions when I receive them. Although, like you, I don't have any issues with comfort on the Vérité Closed; I might use it with a different headphone instead.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #740 of 6,351
Would I be correct in guessing the co-pilot is too small for the AWAS/AWKT?
I just tried. In short, they don't really fit. The actual padded bit does sort of fit, but the headband on the AWAS/AWKT is too wide, so the Velcro doesn't line up correctly. There may be some sort of "hack" to fix it, but that would up to someone else to discover.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #741 of 6,351
So how does the Elegia compare to the other two?
In a nutshell, the Elegia is a competent performer, with decent resolving capabilities and a generally pleasant, but somewhat lean tone. It has the most neutral character of these 3 headphones. With its clear and distinct bass and midrange sections, the Elegia is closer to the LCD-2 Closed Back, with a well-defined and sculpted sound. The AEON 2 Closed is a little more diffuse in this respect, owing to a slight bloom pervading its signature.

However, unlike the Audeze and the Dan Clark Audio headphones, the Elegia lacks in overall bass presence, resulting in a slightly anemic signature. Like I've mentioned earlier, the Focal sounds best with a slight bass boost. As a result, in stock form, the Focal is the least musical of the 3.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #742 of 6,351
In a nutshell, the Elegia is a competent performer, with decent resolving capabilities and a generally pleasant, but somewhat lean tone. It has the most neutral character of these 3 headphones. With its clear and distinct bass and midrange sections, the Elegia is closer to the LCD-2 Closed Back, with a well-defined and sculpted sound. The AEON 2 Closed is a little more diffuse in this respect, owing to a slight bloom pervading its signature.

However, unlike the Audeze and the Dan Clark Audio headphones, the Elegia lacks in overall bass presence, resulting in a slightly anemic signature. Like I've mentioned earlier, the Focal sounds best with a slight bass boost. As a result, in stock form, the Focal is the least musical of the 3.
Thanks, that's helpful.

Nov 2, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #743 of 6,351
I just tried. In short, they don't really fit. The actual padded bit does sort of fit, but the headband on the AWAS/AWKT is too wide, so the Velcro doesn't line up correctly. There may be some sort of "hack" to fix it, but that would up to someone else to discover.
That's what I figured, thanks for confirming though.

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #746 of 6,351
@Nostoi, I hope that you are ok... I have just read the news about Vienna and the assault there... :sweat:
Thanks very much, appreciate the concern. :pray: We're safe though it's still unfolding. One of the initial reports was that there was a hostage situation on our street, in a mall 5 minutes from us. But that seems to false. Scary. Hope it's over soon and hope the death toll isn't high.

As to your question, I got the Vérité from Headphone Auditions in Amsterdam, who were very pleasant to deal with. Their last pair and I think the last pair in Europe. But I think ZMF will reissue them soon.

Stay safe everyone!

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #747 of 6,351
I wrote to Moon Audio asking for the right cable for the TH900 mk2 because I want a 4.4mm balanced and the stock only comes 6.3mm, so I have no choice on upgrading.

It was a surprise for me they didn’t mentioned the Silver Dragon as the best fit for my needs, even though its more expensive than de Black Dragon which they say its better for my preferred music genres: Rock, vocal/contemporary Jazz, Pop... Not EDM at all (I know @Malevolent says they are the best for this).

I also claimed I would like to open up the mids a little (recessed for many?) and tighten the lows without sacrificing highs and details across all ranges (am I asking too much?) :)

Its interesting because the Black Dragon is OCC Copper, same as the Sony/Kimble which a lot of users claim is one of the best replacement cables for the Z1R, giving smother highs, more present mids an tighter lows.

Unless there’s another solid point of view, I’ll try the TH900 in a couple of weeks with the Black Dragon 4.4mm for my Hiby R6Pro and maybe for a future Hiby R8 (still deciding).

The short list is really short right now, just the Z1r (they arrive this week) and Fostex´s red beauties for my end game HP.

Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #748 of 6,351
Thanks very much, appreciate the concern. :pray: We're safe though it's still unfolding. One of the initial reports was that there was a hostage situation on our street, in a mall 5 minutes from us. But that seems to false. Scary. Hope it's over soon and hope the death toll isn't high.

As to your question, I got the Vérité from Headphone Auditions in Amsterdam, who were very pleasant to deal with. Their last pair and I think the last pair in Europe. But I think ZMF will reissue them soon.

Stay safe everyone!
I've just read about that. I'm glad to hear that you're safe, mate!

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #749 of 6,351
Hello there, what about ATH-WP900 vs Denon D7200?
And can anyone comment on the isolation on WP900? vs the isolation of D9200?

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #750 of 6,351
Also how do you compare Audeze Sine closed and ATH-W900?
I use Chord mojo and listen a lot of metal music.
Trying to decide between Denon D7200, D9200 and WP900...
I like to take my headphones for a walk :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back