The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Nov 4, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #781 of 6,351
Honestly, I would've loved to see a comparison between the LCD-2 closed, A2C and Elegia - I've heard all three but despite having positive impressions of the Audeze and Focal; that was in february and perceptions can greatly change in over a half year's worth of time!

Great comparison nonetheless! Next thing we know you'll be one of the quality reviewers on youtube haha :o2smile:
Yes, I was actually thinking of throwing the Elegia and the MDR-Z7M2 in the mix.. but my table was getting a little too crowded! It'll be one for the (near) future, I guess. :)

Nov 4, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #782 of 6,351
Hmmm.... 7200 is more like 'harman target' than eXtrEMe bAsS though.
Seems like you either you have to go into the stratosphere of MDR-Z1R and TH900, or stay in 'dirty-peasant mid-fi' with Meze Classic and Audioquest Night-birds...
Of course, this is completely ignoring EQ possibilities and going back in time with 2nd-hand and vintage options.
In the $1,000 realm of headphones, I have yet to hear anything that matches the Cascade in sheer bass volume.

The Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation) comes close, although it's still well-controlled lows; it avoids sounding like an out-and-out bass cannon.

The Sony MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7M2 have powerful bass, too, but they aren't excessive. Ditto for the Klipsch Heritage HP-3 and the ZMF Atticus.

The TH900 Mk2? It's a logical answer for a bass monster. However, it is more sub-bass rumble than mid-bass punch, IMO.

Hence, the Cascade probably remains the priciest bass-heavy headphone on the market. I'm struggling to think of something else. :thinking:

Nov 4, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #783 of 6,351
Honestly, I would've loved to see a comparison between the LCD-2 closed, A2C and Elegia - I've heard all three but despite having positive impressions of the Audeze and Focal; that was in february and perceptions can greatly change in over a half year's worth of time!

Great comparison nonetheless! Next thing we know you'll be one of the quality reviewers on youtube haha :o2smile:

I got you 2 out of 3 right here.

Nov 5, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #784 of 6,351
I got you 2 out of 3 right here.

I've read and watched plenty of Resolve's reviews, and for the most part agree with him. Its always nice to hear from multiple perspectives (and ears) though!

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #785 of 6,351
Here we go again. Sony's in the house...

Image 2020-10-27 at 16.03.19.jpeg
2020-10-27 at 16.03.54.jpeg
2020-10-27 at 16.05.29.jpeg

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #786 of 6,351

Nice! You must be smiling!!!

I have noticed as many others have that the MDR-Z1R takes a few days; either two or four before the moment comes where they sound right.

Many of us have simply given-up in trying to understand where it’s from but simply tried to kind-of multitask and wait before judging the sound. To me it was on day two where all of sudden everything came together and stayed that way?

Getting the MDR-Z7 later after was cool as I wasn’t really expecting much, but it was a surprise. The Denon AHD-7000 is another I have which is really close to the Z7 in how it acts. Glad to see a thread like this as closed-backs are slightly disregarded and viewed with slight prejudice! :)

They will somehow get looked at as an alternative choice when needed. Where us true lovers of closed backs actually prefer them.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #787 of 6,351
Nice! You must be smiling!!!

I have noticed as many others have that the MDR-Z1R takes a few days; either two or four before the moment comes where they sound right.
Indeed.! I'm learning to be patient... if they are comfortable I will be more than patient. I also went all-in with the upgrade Sony/Kimble cable which will be arriving in two weeks.

Hope to give some impressions soon.

Nov 5, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #788 of 6,351

Congratulations! :)

There's something to be said about Sony's packaging standards. It is certainly a cut above many of its competitors. The MDR-Z1R ships with 4 layers of protection. Plus, that leather case oozes quality through and through.

Indeed.! I'm learning to be patient... if they are comfortable I will be more than patient. I also went all-in with the upgrade Sony/Kimble cable which will be arriving in two weeks.

Hope to give some impressions soon.
Looking forward to your impressions! I have a feeling that you might take a liking to them.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #789 of 6,351
Congratulations! :)

There's something to be said about Sony's packaging standards. It is certainly a cut above many of its competitors. The MDR-Z1R ships with 4 layers of protection. Plus, that leather case oozes quality through and through.

Looking forward to your impressions! I have a feeling that you might take a liking to them.
Hey, my TH900s shipped with 5 layers of protection!

Outer box, bubble wrap, inner factory shipping box, headphone box, plastic bag :p

Plus fake leather vinyl carry bag :D

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #791 of 6,351
Hey, my TH900s shipped with 5 layers of protection!

Outer box, bubble wrap, inner factory shipping box, headphone box, plastic bag :p

Plus fake leather vinyl carry bag :D
Well, that's both excessive and amazing, all at once.

The Japanese have a penchant for ornate presentations, though. If you take a gander at Japanese products, even food & drink, packaging is one of the top priorities for the manufacturers / companies.

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #792 of 6,351
Well, that's both excessive and amazing, all at once.

The Japanese have a penchant for ornate presentations, though. If you take a gander at Japanese products, even food & drink, packaging is one of the top priorities for the manufacturers / companies.
Yeah, they do wrap things very nicely. But for the price, the packaging of the TH900 was really not special. Pretty close to Sennheiser packaging, but at least there was an outer box like Audeze does.

The outer outer box and the bubble wrap were from the shop.

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #793 of 6,351

Maybe I had a first sight low expectation on sound, but so far: great, even though I am positive they improve with time. The peak on highs is there, nothing uncomfortable but well compensated with a “high resolution” signature, specially on treble and mids. In a couple of days I’ll give full impressions.

Regarding comfort? Just wow... top notch.!!

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #795 of 6,351
That’s one I have on sight, just saw a special “white pearl” edition coming soon, they look gorgeous:

70292EAE-87AE-4252-A627-BE0F5CB0DF11.jpeg
I’m a sucker for white and really wish more headphones came in white. Hell, I’ve been considering getting my favorite headphones painted white for a while now. When do they come out? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back