The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 6, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #3,243 of 12,546
Quote:
Not to mention the M-50s have virtually no sound stage, they are very narrowly focused. My brother has a set and that was the first thing I noticed when listening to the M-50s.

Yeah, it's hard to listen to them now since I got these. They're still good for games and movies, but not music.

May 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #3,244 of 12,546
I think the M-50s are a style of presentation that some just love, even after having heard different sound signatures. Either my brother is too stuborn to admit that he finds a sound like the 880s more musical, or he actually prefers the M-50s sound. Either way doesn't matter to me, each to their own as they say. I know that I strongly prefer the 880s for several reasons, but for me sound stage is a very important thing and the 880s have, at least in my opinion, a very good sound stage.

May 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #3,245 of 12,546
After 2 weeks of living with the 250-ohm and 600-ohm models side by side, I can conclusively say that I like the 250s more.  I've mostly been listening to the 600s but they just have too much high end for my likes, plus they have a certain "distance" that I don't like.  The 250s have a more pleasant, even spectrum to my ears, and they're just more engaging.

This is all with a V-DAC (with upgraded power supply) and Woo WA3.  I suspect other equipment could yield different results.

May 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #3,246 of 12,546
Quote:
After 2 weeks of living with the 250-ohm and 600-ohm models side by side, I can conclusively say that I like the 250s more.  I've mostly been listening to the 600s but they just have too much high end for my likes, plus they have a certain "distance" that I don't like.  The 250s have a more pleasant, even spectrum to my ears, and they're just more engaging.

This is all with a V-DAC (with upgraded power supply) and Woo WA3.  I suspect other equipment could yield different results.

And now the tough question...............This will be hard to answer, as it is such a subjective question:

How much of a difference is it really?
Would you consider the difference large enough to be a deal breaker, or is it fairly subtle?

I've only compared the 32 Ohm to the 600 Ohm for a short period of time, I felt that the difference was rather insignificant.

May 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #3,247 of 12,546
Quote:

Interesting...
To Chris J's point (and I know I wasn't asked) I agree, the difference - for me - was minimal. I had to have them both plugged into the same piece of equipment (DAC1-Pre, which has 2 - HP jacks), and play the same piece of music over and over going from the 250 to the 600 and back. That was the only I was able to detect ANY difference and it was very subtle.

However... I found the opposite to be true. The 250 had more pronounced highs than the 600. But again, it was minimal, at best.
Another thing, is that the difference widened, but only slightly, as the 600 burned-in.

May 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #3,248 of 12,546
Quote:
Would you consider the difference large enough to be a deal breaker, or is it fairly subtle?

It's actually a pretty substantial difference on the system I mentioned.  When I moved the amp to an Audio-GD DAC the difference became more subtle, but still noticeable.

It's enough of a difference to be a deal breaker on the 600's for me.  They really fatigue my ears quicker and there is a shift in the immersive quality of the sound.

It's not just me.  I had my wife listen to both without explaining to her that there was any difference between them and she came to the same conclusions immediately.  She only had to listen to each of them for 10 or 20 seconds before she identified the 250's as better.  She especially noticed that difference in immersion.  The 600's just have a certain separation from the listener compared to the 250's.

Again, this is all with the Woo Audio WA3.  I haven't tried any other amplifiers.  I have tried 2 different tube sets.

May 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #3,249 of 12,546
It's actually a pretty substantial difference on the system I mentioned.  When I moved the amp to an Audio-GD DAC the difference became more subtle, but still noticeable.

It's enough of a difference to be a deal breaker on the 600's for me.  They really fatigue my ears quicker and there is a shift in the immersive quality of the sound.

It's not just me.  I had my wife listen to both without explaining to her that there was any difference between them and she came to the same conclusions immediately.  She only had to listen to each of them for 10 or 20 seconds before she identified the 250's as better.  She especially noticed that difference in immersion.  The 600's just have a certain separation from the listener compared to the 250's.

Again, this is all with the Woo Audio WA3.  I haven't tried any other amplifiers.  I have tried 2 different tube sets.

Interesting...
To Chris J's point (and I know I wasn't asked) I agree, the difference - for me - was minimal. I had to have them both plugged into the same piece of equipment (DAC1-Pre, which has 2 - HP jacks), and play the same piece of music over and over going from the 250 to the 600 and back. That was the only I was able to detect ANY difference and it was very subtle.

However... I found the opposite to be true. The 250 had more pronounced highs than the 600. But again, it was minimal, at best.
Another thing, is that the difference widened, but only slightly, as the 600 burned-in.

Thanks for your answers folks!
Much appreciated.

May 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #3,250 of 12,546
My 880's (600 ohms version) were delivered today.  I can't compare them to the 250 ohm version, but I have had a pair of the dt 770's (80 ohms) for several years, and these wipe the floor with them.  They are quite diverse and work well with a lot of types of music.  These are going to be my new mid-fi jack of all trades.  I love my q701's for pop, rock jazz and classical, but for metal, they just have too large a soundstage and every thing feels too distant.  The 880's are much better suited.

I also picked up a pair of the 990 pro's.  I was really disappointed by the 990's.  I can honestly confirm what everyone else on this forum probably already knows, the 880's are the best out of the 3 beyer mid-fi cans! 

May 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #3,251 of 12,546
Quote:
My 880's (600 ohms version) were delivered today.  I can't compare them to the 250 ohm version, but I have had a pair of the dt 770's (80 ohms) for several years, and these wipe the floor with them.  They are quite diverse and work well with a lot of types of music.  These are going to be my new mid-fi jack of all trades.  I love my q701's for pop, rock jazz and classical, but for metal, they just have too large a soundstage and every thing feels too distant.  The 880's are much better suited.

I also picked up a pair of the 990 pro's.  I was really disappointed by the 990's.  I can honestly confirm what everyone else on this forum probably already knows, the 880's are the best out of the 3 beyer mid-fi cans! 

Agreed!  I had the DT770 LE and the DT880 600 ohm for a while and thought the DT880s were significantly better.

May 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #3,252 of 12,546
So I'm starting to appreciate the 990s more.  They do a great job with electronic music and electro pop.  I guess they have their place.  However, the 880's are knocking it out of the box.  Although I listen to a variety of music, I primarily listen to extreme metal.  I can't believe what a good job they do with Black / Death and Power metal.  These things are great all around!

May 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #3,253 of 12,546

And now the tough question...............This will be hard to answer, as it is such a subjective question:

I've only compared the 32 Ohm to the 600 Ohm for a short period of time, I felt that the difference was rather insignificant.

From what he wrote 'It Depends". If you have a very high end detailed and subtle system, those small differences may appear much larger than they would to me with my generic USB soundcard and ZD-Tech reclocker.
Subtle components with small differences usually matter much more in the more detailed and pricier setups.

If I plugged a set of T1's into my 3.5mm pc jack, I do not think the results would be optimal.

So I'm starting to appreciate the 990s more. They do a great job with electronic music and electro pop. I guess they have their place. However, the 880's are knocking it out of the box. Although I listen to a variety of music, I primarily listen to extreme metal. I can't believe what a good job they do with Black / Death and Power metal. These things are great all around!

Reading this thread is making me nostalgic for my 880's and wanting to skip over the lo-end cans I have on my wishlist.

May 15, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #3,254 of 12,546
Well I've officially had my DT880's for a week. I have the premium 250 ohm version and they're hooked up to my Fiio E07K. Out of the box... I pretty much hated them. No joke. I preferred my M50s  by quite a large margin. I think it had to do with the fact that I wasn't used to a larger soundstage. Everything sounded far away and muddled, or at least that's why my ears were hearing. After a week of solid usage, I pulled out my M50s..... then everything changed. The music had suddenly gone from 3D to extreme 2D. It sounded like all the instruments were on a vertical flat plane, mushed against my ear. I now have a good appreciation for what improved soundstage does to the music. Anyways, I think I'm done with this headphone stuff for a while. This setup seems pretty good for a starving college student. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back