The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #3,271 of 12,546
Quote:
Having owned and heard DT880 & 990s, both 600 ohms, I'll have to disagree as well. When ABing, I can't volume match the 990s to the 880s. I had to listen first on the 990s and then pot up 880s. Otherwise, the treble spike would drive and ice pick into my ears. And because I had to match the 990s where the spike doesn't hit as often, the 880s had "closer" mids and lower lows and highs. They just sounded better overall on the 880s and I didn't have to worry about that nasty icepick. In the end, 990s got sold off. The bass was definitely fun to listen to but I couldn't take the highs. There's entire albums that I had to avoid when I had them on.
triportsad.gif

Then there are obviously great differences between the 600 ohm and pro version. I've seen some websites score them completely differently as well.  Doctorhead.ru gives the Pro version 9.9/10,  while the 600 ohm version gets something like 9.2/10.  Its possible the Pro version is more neutral, which is logical since its more tuned for studio use and has a completely different grill and enclosure compared to the Premium models, unlike the DT880 Pro's which are identical apart from the headband.

May 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #3,272 of 12,546
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and I'm writing here in an attempt to help my father. He "was" a proud owner of a pair of DT880, 600Ω Premium Headphones until yesterday, when they presented an issue: the right channel went dead. He's been using the headphones with a MacBook Pro and an Aune T1 tube amp with awesome(!!!) results, but the right channel started to present intermittent failures (for a couple of days) and went completely dead yesterday. He gently moved and twisted the cables without success. So... do you guys happen to know a good technical service in Canada? My father lives in Victoria - BC. Thanks a lot...

May 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #3,273 of 12,546
Well, my days as a Dt880 owner are now over. After two years of pleasure from these amazing headphones (considering quality and cost/performance balance) I sold mine in order to help fund the purchase of some Denon D7000s. I didn't sell my 880s because they lacked anything, I just wanted to try a new sound signature. So hopefully the new owner (a head-fi) member will find this thread and start posting his impressions/appreciation. It was a great ride so thanks my trusty 880s, you will be missed for sure.

May 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #3,274 of 12,546
Quote:
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and I'm writing here in an attempt to help my father. He "was" a proud owner of a pair of DT880, 600Ω Premium Headphones until yesterday, when they presented an issue: the right channel went dead. He's been using the headphones with a MacBook Pro and an Aune T1 tube amp with awesome(!!!) results, but the right channel started to present intermittent failures (for a couple of days) and went completely dead yesterday. He gently moved and twisted the cables without success. So... do you guys happen to know a good technical service in Canada? My father lives in Victoria - BC. Thanks a lot...

If your lucky it is just a loose connection, which it does sound like. If the speaker was performing fine, but just cuts in and out, it is likely a loose connection (dry solder). You should be able to get them serviced at any reliable service shop. As long as they can open the housing and test the connection you should be good to go, or at least that is how I suspect it will go. Good luck.

May 16, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #3,275 of 12,546
If your lucky it is just a loose connection, which it does sound like. If the speaker was performing fine, but just cuts in and out, it is likely a loose connection (dry solder). You should be able to get them serviced at any reliable service shop. As long as they can open the housing and test the connection you should be good to go, or at least that is how I suspect it will go. Good luck.

What he said. Should be an easy, cheap fix, as long it's not the driver itself.

May 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #3,276 of 12,546
That happened to my left driver.....checked the resistance right on the driver, and it showed an open, no resistance, and should have been around 600 ohms, like the right driver.  Ordered a new driver from Beyerdynamic-USA, due to be delivered today, but cost was $81 shipped for one driver!

May 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #3,277 of 12,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbigpr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's weird, but the highs on 990's are not higher in volume, they're just more present...or to put it better, more separated from rest of the sound than on the DT880's, so they're easier to hear and they seem more detailed. 

Indeed, that is weird, not to mention undesirable, at least if you really mean "separated from the rest of the sound". And I suspect that's exactly what you mean, if the 990s sound anything like I've been reading (never heard them). A peak will tend to detach the treble from the rest of the spectrum and exaggerate detail and airiness, but as I said before that isn't hi-fi.

May 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #3,278 of 12,546
I think the reason I love the 880s the most out of the 650/701/880 trio is because they're the ones that most closely approximate the sound signature of my JH13s (which I already prefer to the likes of the HD 800, T1, LCD-2, et al). I kept the JH13s over the JH16s, which is probably similar to my reasoning behind vastly preferring the 880s over the 990s.

May 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #3,279 of 12,546
Quote:

Interesting...
To Chris J's point (and I know I wasn't asked) I agree, the difference - for me - was minimal. I had to have them both plugged into the same piece of equipment (DAC1-Pre, which has 2 - HP jacks), and play the same piece of music over and over going from the 250 to the 600 and back. That was the only I was able to detect ANY difference and it was very subtle.

However... I found the opposite to be true. The 250 had more pronounced highs than the 600. But again, it was minimal, at best.
Another thing, is that the difference widened, but only slightly, as the 600 burned-in.

Wow this thread really summed everything up for me. I'm a huge fan of my DT880 250ohm but I've heard from lots of experienced audiophiles that the differences are generally very subtle that it takes a very discerning ear to pick out the minor differences. So far I haven't been convinced enough to buy the DT880 600ohms just to A/B them with my 250's. I'd rather pick up a warmer pair of cans just to compliment my DT880's. I've been thinking of grabbing a pair of Denon AH-D5000's or D2000s for the nights I crave bass rather than soundstage and neutrality. The next time I grab a pair of Beyerdynamics I'm going to roll the dice on what people have been saying about the Beyerdynamic DT880 Manufaktur; could be buyer's remorse that they "sound better" than the 250ohm or 600ohm or some placebo effect but I always wanted some pimped out headphones
basshead.gif

May 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,280 of 12,546
Quote:
Wow this thread really summed everything up for me. I'm a huge fan of my DT880 250ohm but I've heard from lots of experienced audiophiles that the differences are generally very subtle that it takes a very discerning ear to pick out the minor differences. So far I haven't been convinced enough to buy the DT880 600ohms just to A/B them with my 250's. I'd rather pick up a warmer pair of cans just to compliment my DT880's. I've been thinking of grabbing a pair of Denon AH-D5000's or D2000s for the nights I crave bass rather than soundstage and neutrality. The next time I grab a pair of Beyerdynamics I'm going to roll the dice on what people have been saying about the Beyerdynamic DT880 Manufaktur; could be buyer's remorse that they "sound better" than the 250ohm or 600ohm or some placebo effect but I always wanted some pimped out headphones
basshead.gif

As a current owner of a 600ohm DT880 and former own of a pair of Denon D2000s, I think they greatly compliment each other.  I kinda regret selling off my D2k's as to this day they're still probably the best closed headphones I've ever heard.  While the DT880s are very neutral and accurate, the D2ks are very fun and the bass on them is quite unreal, making them amazing for action movies, or hiphop/EDM. 

May 17, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #3,281 of 12,546
Quote:
basshead.gif

Understood... that's why I've owned the 880/600 ohm and the D7000 for years.

May 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #3,282 of 12,546
Quote:
basshead.gif

Good call trying to keep your 880s my friend. I had to sell mine to fund my D7000 purchase, but if I could have kept my 880s I would have. Like you, there are many times I crave a little added warmth in the sound and it sounds like the 7000s will be a refined, yet fun sound signature. Miss my 880s already, and to a lesser extent my 650s. It is really hard as my 7000s haven't even arrived yet and are least 5 days away! This is funny, I shipped my 650s to a head-fi member in Hawaii, and with Canada Post at $41.05 Canadian, he was getting 4 day guaranteed delivery. My D7000, coming from Florida cost the seller $53 US in shipping and that is for 6-10 day service? What the heck is that about, faster to ship to Hawaii? Weird and super annoying. End of rant.

May 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #3,283 of 12,546
Sounds like the FL seller shipped it Int'l priority. 6-10 days is their expected delivery date. 53 is a bit much tho... I shipped a pair of headphones to Singapore, flat rate, for 42 and change. :confused_face: I'm kinda sorta looking for a compliment for a fun bassy full size. I have 2 neutral phones which are both good at different things, DT880s and HD600 but the problem is that they're both neutral-ish. The most fun can I have is the m80s. Not as comfy but definitely enjoyable.

May 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #3,284 of 12,546
I had the left driver go out on my DT880 600 ohm headphones.  I got a replacement driver from Beyerdynamics-USA, and received it yesterday.  The new driver had two diodes soldered between the positive and negative solder pads, my old drivers did not have those.  Does anyone know what they are for, and if they affect the sound?

May 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #3,285 of 12,546
Quote:
Sounds like the FL seller shipped it Int'l priority. 6-10 days is their expected delivery date. 53 is a bit much tho... I shipped a pair of headphones to Singapore, flat rate, for 42 and change.
confused_face.gif
I'm kinda sorta looking for a compliment for a fun bassy full size. I have 2 neutral phones which are both good at different things, DT880s and HD600 but the problem is that they're both neutral-ish. The most fun can I have is the m80s. Not as comfy but definitely enjoyable.

Yes it was Int Priority. Would have been nice if I was offered the opportunity to pay more in shipping, for an $11 difference according to the USPS site I could have cut the delivery time in half. That would be money well spent considering I sold my two headphones to fund the 7000s so now I'm totally going through headphone withdrawl. I'm never lucky when it comes to delivery, but maybe this time I'll actually get lucky and the delivery time will be only the 6 days! I'm like a child, I hate waiting. I also have the M-80, like it a great deal for electronica, less so for rock. I use the M-80s as portables of course and with Neutron as my music player on my Z10 they sound really, really good. What I like about Neutron is that it is an actual audiophile player with a really nice parametric EQ and when I use that I was able to clean some of the muddiness in the bass from the M-80s (I find the upper bass register gets congested sounding with the lower mids, and the lower bass). I was also able to add some life to the somewhat rolled off highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back