The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #3,227 of 12,546
I have both the HD650 and a 880 6ooohm model and prefer the 880 most of the time, but the 650s have a very special sound and material that hits their sweet spot really makes them shine. That is why I can't sell them! Still, love my 880s and as some have alluded to here, a strong amp really helps them reach their potential.

May 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #3,228 of 12,546
I have both the HD650 and a 880 6ooohm model and prefer the 880 most of the time, but the 650s have a very special sound and material that hits their sweet spot really makes them shine. That is why I can't sell them! Still, love my 880s and as some have alluded to here, a strong amp really helps them reach their potential.

'Strong' as in 5W -10W? Or a good headphone amp?

What about tubes and the 880?

May 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #3,230 of 12,546
I guess I could have been more specific, but the 880s (600 ohm version) aren't very efficient and require a great deal of voltage to drive them so you need an amp that can provide plenty of voltage. That alone isn't the only factor as I learned the hard way, your source output needs to be at least 4 volts, but even higher is better. The XLR output on my 8200CD is 4.2volts I believe and even with modern, louder recordings I need to have the volume at 2 oclock, and with older quieter masters the volume is almost at full. If you use a normal amplifier that provides plenty of voltage then this isn't an issue, but some might argue that an amplifier designed for headphone use is optimal. The Auditor is a killer amp and really controls the 880s drivers. Ideally my source would have even more voltage output as under 6 seems to be less than sufficient to overcome the inefficiency of the 880s. At least this is my understanding of the situation.

May 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #3,231 of 12,546
I guess I could have been more specific, but the 880s (600 ohm version) aren't very efficient and require a great deal of voltage to drive them so you need an amp that can provide plenty of voltage. That alone isn't the only factor as I learned the hard way, your source output needs to be at least 4 volts, but even higher is better. The XLR output on my 8200CD is 4.2volts I believe and even with modern, louder recordings I need to have the volume at 2 oclock, and with older quieter masters the volume is almost at full. If you use a normal amplifier that provides plenty of voltage then this isn't an issue, but some might argue that an amplifier designed for headphone use is optimal. The Auditor is a killer amp and really controls the 880s drivers. Ideally my source would have even more voltage output as under 6 seems to be less than sufficient to overcome the inefficiency of the 880s. At least this is my understanding of the situation.

Actually, the 600 Ohm DT880 are fairly efficient, i.e. they don't need a lot of power.
But they are not very sensitive, so they need a lot of voltage, so your headphone amp will need a fair amount of gain AND will need to be able to output up to approx. 5 volts.
I've used then with very typical DACs that output 1 or 2 volts SE, this works fine, but your amp usually needs in excess of 10 dB of gain, e.g. 16 or 18 dBV.

They also respond very well to a high quality source, DAC and amp....they scale really well.

May 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #3,232 of 12,546
Another question: How fast would you rate the headphones(not sure how to phrase this question)? Tons of headphones sound good at moderate to low volumes with slow music, but once you crank it up, not so much. I usually don't just sit down and listen to music for 5 hours, I usually like to keep em on for like 2 hours or less. Plus I'm sort of a treble head.

After trying DT880 with a few different amps, I would say, they work better with higher quality DACs and amps. If you want fast and detailed and a bit analytical with DT880s, get a DAC and amp that are up to the job. I've heard the DT880 with an Audiolab M-DAC........outstanding!

May 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #3,234 of 12,546
Quote:
After trying DT880 with a few different amps, I would say, they work better with higher quality DACs and amps. If you want fast and detailed and a bit analytical with DT880s, get a DAC and amp that are up to the job. I've heard the DT880 with an Audiolab M-DAC........outstanding!

Yep. M-DAC with one of the filters applied is the best I've ever heard my 880's.

May 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #3,235 of 12,546
I agree with the good DAC/amp combo, rather hard not to after all. I have the Audiolab 8200CD which would likley be quite similar to the M-DAC, but perhaps not as resolving? Regardless, the combination of the 8200 and the Auditor can be sublime, very, very yummy stuff indeed. Would love to try the M-DAC. I'll have to see the specs again Chris, but I know you know your stuff so if you say the 880s are efficient I'll believe you. I guess I just got me facts a little twisted around, but the end result was correct, give me more amps Scotty!

May 5, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #3,236 of 12,546
I agree with the good DAC/amp combo, rather hard not to after all. I have the Audiolab 8200CD which would likley be quite similar to the M-DAC, but perhaps not as resolving? Regardless, the combination of the 8200 and the Auditor can be sublime, very, very yummy stuff indeed. Would love to try the M-DAC. I'll have to see the specs again Chris, but I know you know your stuff so if you say the 880s are efficient I'll believe you. I guess I just got me facts a little twisted around, but the end result was correct, give me more amps Scotty!

Scotty can't give you more amps..........his usual excuses.........the engines canna take any more!:p Or so he says!:rolleyes:

I've only heard the M-DAC for 20-30 minutes..........can't really say I'm an Audiolab expert!:xf_eek:
But I really like what it did for my DT880s
BTW, I heard a pair of T1s on the weekend at a Head Fi meet driven by some type of giant Woo amp and an Anedio DAC..........clean, clear, punchy, dynamic, really it was just Engaging! Too bad the system is mucho $$$.

May 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #3,237 of 12,546
Anyone know where to get a replacement driver for DT 880 600ohms? I rewired mine today and while soldering ripped the contact right off the driver.. Tried to put it back on but I can't get a signal from that side anymore.

May 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #3,239 of 12,546
I just upgraded to a DT 880 PRO (250 ohm) from an AT ATH-M50 and all I can say is "wow." Listening to these after the M50s is like a breath of fresh air, very detailed and open, lovely soundstage. One thing I didn't like about the M50s was the exaggerated lows, I love how neutral the 880s are.

May 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #3,240 of 12,546
Not to mention the M-50s have virtually no sound stage, they are very narrowly focused. My brother has a set and that was the first thing I noticed when listening to the M-50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back