The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,621 of 12,546
I only have a 250 Ohm (Pro) 880, and cannot compare it with the T70, but if the graphs at innerfidelity.com are correct, then both have close to neutral bass response (slightly less bass on the T70 overall), however, the 880 is rolled off at the bottom, while the T70 extends almost flat to 20 Hz and below. One reason you may have found the T70 to have clearly more bass is if you have a high output impedance amplifier, which the Bottlehead Crack probably is. The T70 has a more uneven impedance curve, with a large hump in the bass range, and with a high impedance source that translates to a bass boost.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #1,622 of 12,546

Quote:
As far as this bass-light thing is concerned, has anyone listened to the 880's side by side with the T70's?

I did last night and I found my 880's to be incredibly bright once my ears were used to the sound of the T70's. I also found the 880's to be lacking alot of sub-bass. Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't think it's an issue with them being under-powered because I'm driving them with a Bottlehead Crack. Maybe they just don't pair that well with this amp?

The bass:
I am using DT880 600 ohms which seem to work quite well with my La Figaro 336C which is also OTL and uses the same output tube.
IMHO I don't find the DT880 at all lacking in the sub bass department. The heartbeats at the beginning of Dark Side Of The Moon sound deep enough to me.
I think the DT880s are very neutral. YMMV.
What impedance are your DT880s? Crack may roll off the bass in Low impedance phones.

Never heard the T70s, OTOH my other phones are the bright Q701s and some bright Sennehiser HD424, maybe I'm a closet treble head?

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,623 of 12,546

Quote:
As far as this bass-light thing is concerned, has anyone listened to the 880's side by side with the T70's?

I did an A/B comparison between mine, burned in DT880 (600ohm), and a new pair of T70 on two setups : 

1. Mid-fi RME Babyface On-Board amp : T70 a clear step up ahead DT880's. Faster respoud, bigger soundstage, puncher bass.
2. High-End Beyerdynamic A1 amp (SS) : No winner. Draw.

DT880 gave warmer, smoother, less bright signature, plenty of bass (clearly not less then T70 does), but there was also some treble roll-off, less air.
T70 had shown pretty the same performance they did on RME's baby, open, clear, analytical, studio-oriented signature, considerably brighter then the one DT880 have showed when properly amped.
So In my opinion, T70 are the "elite" of the closed studio headphone army, but not the DT880's killers (at least for the price).. A side-grade perhaps...

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #1,624 of 12,546
Food for thought: for some brainless reason the A1 has an output impedance of 100 ohms.
No idea what the output impedance of the Babyface is.

What's your favourite DT880 600 ohm amp?

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,625 of 12,546
I had Both DT-880-600 ohms and DT-880 Pro , on my setup , and could compare them for a little with K702 .

In bass impact DT-880 Pro is clearly ahead , and sub bass too , there is much more HUMPH on DT-880 PRO , on this point my DT-880-600 ohms was just a bit more impactfull than my K702 ...

My english is not great and i said before that in bass department DT-880-600 and K702 is about the same , but it's not exact for bass Impact yes it is  , but for quantity , DT-880-600 ohms has more bass , (some instruments are more bodied and sounds fuller , and DT-880-600 ohms is more grounded than K702 etc) .

DT-880 Pro head band clamps your hard harder wich make a direct impact on bass , if you compress your DT-880-600 on your hears you will ear a boost on bass impact . 

But DT-880 Pro 

1) Use a 250 ohms drivers 

2) Trebble is even more pronouced than 600 ohms wich i found trebble more pronouced than my K702 like said before (but for me not a problem at all :
tongue.gif
, in i am on the bright side
biggrin.gif
) , Mids are a bit recessed , a bit much for my licking  , with DT-880-600 ohms they are ok for me in comparison to K702 where i found them having a touch of warm . 

Soudstage is not as wide but still decent , but less airy , more congestionned , overall you loose a bit clarity with DT-880 PRO .

Again for bass there is more punch on DT-880 PRO , but they lack clarity ... and are less refined and detailled than DT-800-600 ohms , and for me peraphs a bit too much ... 

On my System DT-880-600 ohms , bass are very dry like on K702 , but very detailled ones with super clarity , and in more quantity than K702 . (not on bass impact like said ) 

DT-880-600 ohms is more neutral for me than DT-880 Pro and they don't lack in bass departement , but peraphs a bit on bass impact for some people (i can understand that) . 

On my system DT-880-600 ohms is colder than K702 wich have like i said a touch of warm on mids (soo peraphs less neutral than DT-880-600 ohms , DT-880 pro wich recessed mids and boosted bass impact is alsoo less neutral on my mind) .

That's all , on an OTL TUBE amp peraphs DT-880-600 ohms would have the same detailled and clear bass , but with more impact , i don't know ^^ , i was very happing using my gone DT-880-600 ohms on my C2.1 , but DT-880-600 ohms will be back soon , Manufaktur one this time 
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #1,626 of 12,546
Im new to the HiFi world and recieved my pair yesterday. Right out of teh box they sounded really bad but after a couple hours of burning it fixed everything and damn, those phones are something! Sadly they are running straight out of a Titaniu HD for now, since my Fiio e9 (budget issue) is coming in next week only, but already even if they are not nearly driven well, they still sound much better that my old HD555s. By far my best buy in a while!

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #1,628 of 12,546
I just got mine today, and already the left driver sounds like it's either partially blown or simply not loose enough because any time there's something with bass, it starts buzzing, while the right does not.  When you load up ME2, I hear "bzz bzz bzz, bzz bzz bzz" during all of the bass parts, yet the right driver is completely fine.  It does this while running it through the Essence STX in 600ohm mode as well as running it through the E9.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #1,629 of 12,546
Quote:
I just got mine today, and already the left driver sounds like it's either partially blown or simply not loose enough because any time there's something with bass, it starts buzzing, while the right does not.  When you load up ME2, I hear "bzz bzz bzz, bzz bzz bzz" during all of the bass parts, yet the right driver is completely fine.  It does this while running it through the Essence STX in 600ohm mode as well as running it through the E9.

Is it used or new ? Is there any hair or other debris in the driver ?

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,630 of 12,546
They are brand new, and have only been out of the package for three hours, so there's no way that it's a matter of random debris falling into the inside.  I am hoping it's just a matter of the parts not being worn enough yet and I'm going to give it a week or two.  Otherwise, they are going back for a replacement.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #1,631 of 12,546

Quote:
They are brand new, and have only been out of the package for three hours, so there's no way that it's a matter of random debris falling into the inside.  I am hoping it's just a matter of the parts not being worn enough yet and I'm going to give it a week or two.  Otherwise, they are going back for a replacement.

Return them. I've got them running out of the same card and they've never "buzzed" from when they were just opened to now where they have hundreds of hours on them. The red flag is the fact that its only happening in one driver.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #1,633 of 12,546
My replacements arrived today, and I put the Jmoney pads on them.  Hmm, as a whole I'd say it's an improvement, but it does do something to the mids that makes them sound a little more muffled than before, but not really recessed.  This combo ends up being a good middleground between the totally recessed mids of my pro 900s (with it's insane bass) and the stock DT880  with it's very scarce bass.  The 880s still seem better at imaging than the Ultrasones, but are less bright than before with the new pads, but the bass on them increased by a lot.

I don't need anything for critical listening, and I like my movies and games to have a fuller sound while still retaining detail.  I think these will do nicely.

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,634 of 12,546
Just ordered a pair of the DT880 600s - seems like a pair of phones that I'll really love. I am however having some issues figuring out what amp to get. I've hunted around but narrowing it down is a real pain!

It seems the Bottlehead Crack, Darkvoice 336SE, and Little dots (III / IV) are good choices - any other ideas for less than $300?

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #1,635 of 12,546

Quote:
Just ordered a pair of the DT880 600s - seems like a pair of phones that I'll really love. I am however having some issues figuring out what amp to get. I've hunted around but narrowing it down is a real pain!

It seems the Bottlehead Crack, Darkvoice 336SE, and Little dots (III / IV) are good choices - any other ideas for less than $300?

The O2 has some of the best synergy with the 880 I've ever heard.  The 880 benefits greatly from a completely colorless amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back