The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,651 of 12,548

Quote:
Personnaly I prefer my La Figaro 336C over my Matrix M Stage for my 600 ohm DT880.
What music do you listen to?

I listen to a wide variety of music: mainly classical, waltz, tango, pop, rock, jazz and a bits of electronic, r&b, hip hop, dance, country. The only genre that I don't listen to is metal.

Quote:
Of all the amps I've owned/auditioned the DT880/600 with the 336 with upgraded tubes comes close to perfection. Really it all comes down to the tubes you can roll, I also enjoy the WA2 and would consider that equally as good.

Thanks guys! Looks like the 336 is a favourite among DT880 users. I'll give them a try.

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #1,652 of 12,548

Quote:
Vacuum tube amps create a sound users usually like, and that pairs well with analytical headphones, like the K701 and the DT880. However that happens thanks to a lot of distortion created, so you lose detail and 'sharpness'. It depends on what you want and what you listen to.

Usualy as you said , not every one , for me K702 with Tube Amp is kind of abomination 
tongue_smile.gif
, the only way to know it's to try by yourself ^^ .

And Tube amps don't realy like low impedence cans . With a DT-880-600 ohms ya great . (some will like better a SS amp ) .

I think that most user prefer a SS AMP for K/Q/70X , and a Tube AMp for DT-880-600 ohms .

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #1,653 of 12,548

Quote:
Thanks a lot Chris J.

If i understand it's better to have a home amp for a headphone with 660 ohms like The Figaro 336c :)
Why not for the iBasso PB2 and the D6 has also a DAC !

And what do you think about the Corda Jazz (not portable :)) for a DT880 with 660 ohms ? It's better to have an amp with tube ?

And for the music i listen rock (Radiohead, Bjork, Sigur Ros, Smashing, etc..) , pop rock (Coldplay, etc...) and a little bit of classique (requiem Mozart, Fauré or Wagner Tristan and Isolde)

Thanks !

I don't know much about the Corda, but I do prefer solid state for rock with lots of guitars and like the tubes with classical and jazz.

Really you just need a good amp that can output a decent amount of voltage for the 600 ohm DT880s. I think the PB62 and D6 can do that.  With the D6 you also get a pretty good DAC.

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #1,655 of 12,548
Currently using a Tungsol re-issue 6SN7 with a NOS RCA 6AS7 in my La Figaro 336C.  The stock 336C tubes are merely "OK", they work but they don't sound fantastic.

This could change shortly as I am buying some NOS 6SN7s in a few days.
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #1,656 of 12,548
Try these gentlemen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA4PlwSKj8A&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62iu37ZuMnw&feature=related

and more of those THX + Dolby stuff at Youtube.

The DT880 definitely killed it. For watching movies, I cannot recommend the DT880 high enough. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #1,657 of 12,548

Quote:
Vacuum tube amps create a sound users usually like, and that pairs well with analytical headphones, like the K701 and the DT880. However that happens thanks to a lot of distortion created, so you lose detail and 'sharpness'. It depends on what you want and what you listen to.

What tube amp are you listeing to ?  Lots of distortion and loss of detail and sharpness.  Come on over to my place and I will let you  hear clean clear sound from tubes that has no loss of detail and sharpness if it is in the recording.  

And whatever distortion you are talking about you might be inferring from some specs and in reality a good amp with good tubes will not be objectionable.

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #1,659 of 12,548

Quote:
The La Figaro 336c with the right tubes is one for sure!  And by right the ones you like the best!  The Darkvoice 336se is also very good with them.  Less so the Phonitor.

Massive +1 for the 336C!
Of course tube rolling is bad for your wallet, LOL.
But your ears will thank you.

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #1,661 of 12,548

Quote:

Usualy as you said , not every one , for me K702 with Tube Amp is kind of abomination 
tongue_smile.gif
, the only way to know it's to try by yourself ^^ .

And Tube amps don't realy like low impedence cans . With a DT-880-600 ohms ya great . (some will like better a SS amp ) .

I think that most user prefer a SS AMP for K/Q/70X , and a Tube AMp for DT-880-600 ohms .

OTL amps don't like low impedance cans, however most low impedance headphone will work OK with most tube amps equipped with good coupling transformers. For example: Woo 6 and Grados or K702.

OTOH, I like the sound of tube amps!  For what it's worth, it's just my opinion.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,662 of 12,548
Does anyone have a 600ohm paired with a Graham Slee Novo.

Are you happy with the pairing?  Can you describe what you are hearing.

I like the look of the 336C but am thinking of going SS.  I can get the Novo locally and am worried that I may have problems with the 336C and don't want to be stuck with a bad amp or having to ship back to China!

Thanks for any responses!

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,663 of 12,548
Hey guys,

Just a random thing I found out. I didn't think this would work well at all - but I went iPod >> Digizoid ZO2 >> MKIII and it's actually really really good! I've already been amazed with the DT880s over the past couple days but damn this combination really does work well.

Just thought I'd share!

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #1,665 of 12,548

Quote:
After spending quite some time reading parts of this thread, I decided to take the plunge and get myself a new pair of 'phones. DT880 600ohm's arrived a week ago, and i have not been able to take them off my head. Straight out of the box, they are a pleasure to listen to. Pairs up very nicely with my Woo 6.

Sounds like a wonderful combo.  The 880 600s luv tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back