The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #1,591 of 12,546
Quote:
Hum i have Both too i agree that they are a bit similar , but on my system treble is not really the same on DT-880 they are more proeminent (wich give sensation of more clarity and details but it's just an impression) , bass impact is about the same level than K702 ... just peraphs a tad more , for me they are more similar on bass than on highs , mediums is the most noticeable difference , K702 have a more forward and warmer midrange , DT-880 in comparaison is a bit recessed here . Soudstage is  larger on K702 and more right / left oriented . I don't have any problem with plastiky mids highs on my full burned K702 (+ 900 h ...) .

They are colder than K702 and it's not a fixed K702 for me . i Would like K702 Mids , DT-880 Highs , and a mix of their bass :p .

MacedonianHero said "the DT880s had a bit more bass [than a T1] when I A-B'd them directly", and yet this thread he says "Being a former K701 owner I would have to EQ the bass to make it at least acceptable" so someones hearing something different.

On the other hand I would consider the T1 to have the most bass, followed by the DT880 with the K701 falling in just behind the 880.

Quote:
peter is absolutely right. I had them both at the same time. The t1 is the best balanced and most neutral sounding headphone I own. The 880 while a very good headphone and it is a good headphone is simply not in the league of the T1. It does not have the speed or transparency of the T1 and is a nice headphone but the T1 is a great headphone.

Balanced doesn't really mean anything, it could fall of at 100Hz and 10,000Hz and still be considered balanced. I'm saying the headphone is rounded, in that it doesn't have the transient response of the DT880 which MacedonianHero refers to as metallic. The T1 are not natural sounding at all, they are colored with heightened bass and a theatrical sound signature. I completely agree that they sound great, work with the majority of your music and make it sound good too, but because of that they are a colored phone. Absolutely nothing wrong with liking a colored phone, but calling is neutral is very far stretched. Denon owners call their D2000s neutral as they feel it extends in both extremities well, where they confuse reverberation for deep bass.

Like I said in my previous post, if a headphone adds something to an album then it's not neutral. Yes it might sound better on a T1 compared to a DT880, but it's coloring the sound and some of us don't want that.

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #1,592 of 12,546
Would you consider the K/Q701 more or less neutral compared to the DT880/600 and T1? Just curious. I love the sound of my Q701 but am thinking about getting a T1.

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #1,593 of 12,546
Quote:
Would you consider the K/Q701 more or less neutral compared to the DT880/600 and T1? Just curious. I love the sound of my Q701 but am thinking about getting a T1.

This response will be vastly different upon who you ask, but my opinion would be that the K701s are much more balanced and neutral compared to the T1. In comparison the T1 will have gobs more bass, it's deep, extends well but it is colored in that it will add something to your recordings. The T1 like all beyers has a 10k spike which is attributed to their treble detail, it can be a little hot for some. Perhaps a HD800 would be more to your liking, similarly it is a little colored but it's a lot closer to the mark.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #1,594 of 12,546

Quote:
This response will be vastly different upon who you ask, but my opinion would be that the K701s are much more balanced and neutral compared to the T1. In comparison the T1 will have gobs more bass, it's deep, extends well but it is colored in that it will add something to your recordings. The T1 like all beyers has a 10k spike which is attributed to their treble detail, it can be a little hot for some. Perhaps a HD800 would be more to your liking, similarly it is a little colored but it's a lot closer to the mark.

I've thought about the HD800 too. Worried about the mid range being too thin from what I have heard. The Q701 sounds great to me with distorted guitars. The DT990/600 took all the body of the guitars away. I've heard the T1 has a fuller sound compared to the HD800, which is why I have been leaning towards them. Am I worrying for nothing about the HD800 mids?

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #1,595 of 12,546
Well they do say the HD800s benefit from a warmer amplifier, like that of tubes and I find that also with my DT880s. The noticeable effect is that the mids warm up and the highs round off just a tad, but of course that's another expense. Similarly you can run a K701 directly out of a portable device or soundcard but benefits can be heard when amping them sufficiently, they say the HD800 improves with better amps.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #1,596 of 12,546
Indeed. I think I'd rather just go with a pair of headphones that already have a nice full mid range. The DT990 still sounded thin with my M-Stage, which is considered a warm amp. Not top of the line, but great bang for the buck and on the warm side.

The only reason I really am considering "upgrading" is because I'm interested in the potential depth offered by angled drivers. The Q701 has a nice wide stage but very little depth. Comfort could be better too, but I do not find that a big issue. Then eventually I am thinking of trying out the Decware CSP2+ for a nice tube amp.

BTW, a little more on topic. How is the DT880 soundstage compared to the K/Q701? I've heard it's quite a bit narrower. But does it at least offer more depth?

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #1,597 of 12,546

Quote:
MacedonianHero said "the DT880s had a bit more bass [than a T1] when I A-B'd them directly", and yet this thread he says "Being a former K701 owner I would have to EQ the bass to make it at least acceptable" so someones hearing something different.

On the other hand I would consider the T1 to have the most bass, followed by the DT880 with the K701 falling in just behind the 880.

Balanced doesn't really mean anything, it could fall of at 100Hz and 10,000Hz and still be considered balanced. I'm saying the headphone is rounded, in that it doesn't have the transient response of the DT880 which MacedonianHero refers to as metallic. The T1 are not natural sounding at all, they are colored with heightened bass and a theatrical sound signature. I completely agree that they sound great, work with the majority of your music and make it sound good too, but because of that they are a colored phone. Absolutely nothing wrong with liking a colored phone, but calling is neutral is very far stretched. Denon owners call their D2000s neutral as they feel it extends in both extremities well, where they confuse reverberation for deep bass.

Like I said in my previous post, if a headphone adds something to an album then it's not neutral. Yes it might sound better on a T1 compared to a DT880, but it's coloring the sound and some of us don't want that.

Well not the same setup at all i know that DT-880 works great with tube amp but i am just describing what i hear with my C2.1 SS amp wich is => a really detailled Can where highs are the more proeminant thing (but not offensive for me) , mediums are present a bit less than K702 but with a great clarity ,  bass impact is just a tad more but electric guitare and winds instruments are a more bodied and grounded than K702 where they are airier like many says :p.

DT-880 is brighter on my setup than K702 , and before getting DT-880 i didn't notice that K702 have a touch of warm on their mids ...(it's easely noticeable on Harpsichord or accoustic guitare ) .

I really like both , and depending of the mood or the music played i will prefer one or the other :p . Confort speacking K702 fit better my ears , DT-880 ear cups are not soo great for me : / .

Quote:
Indeed. I think I'd rather just go with a pair of headphones that already have a nice full mid range. The DT990 still sounded thin with my M-Stage, which is considered a warm amp. Not top of the line, but great bang for the buck and on the warm side.

The only reason I really am considering "upgrading" is because I'm interested in the potential depth offered by angled drivers. The Q701 has a nice wide stage but very little depth. Comfort could be better too, but I do not find that a big issue. Then eventually I am thinking of trying out the Decware CSP2+ for a nice tube amp.

BTW, a little more on topic. How is the DT880 soundstage compared to the K/Q701? I've heard it's quite a bit narrower. But does it at least offer more depth?

A Bit narrower than K702 , less right/left oriented more centric informations , and yes a bit more depth but not much for me . 

And they are fine with distored guitares at least for me .

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #1,598 of 12,546

Quote:

Maybe it means nothing to you about balanced but I own the headphone. Your mention of gobs og bass is wrong also. The T1 is not a bass heavy headphone. Balanced in my system means that there is no prominence of any area of music. The T1 is very accurate and much better than the 880 I think you should reevaluate your gear if you think the bass is tipped on the T1 could be your source and amp is tipped. Your impressions are misleading and wrong. i only hear great music on my system. But since you seem to like the less expensive 880 thats good for you no need to spend more money.

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #1,599 of 12,546

Quote:

Hum i have Both too i agree that they are a bit similar , but on my system treble is not really the same on DT-880 they are more proeminent (wich give sensation of more clarity and details but it's just an impression) , bass impact is about the same level than K702 ... just peraphs a tad more , for me they are more similar on bass than on highs , mediums is the most noticeable difference , K702 have a more forward and warmer midrange , DT-880 in comparaison is a bit recessed here . Soudstage is  larger on K702 and more right / left oriented . I don't have any problem with plastiky mids highs on my full burned K702 (+ 900 h ...) .

They are colder than K702 and it's not a fixed K702 for me . i Would like K702 Mids , DT-880 Highs , and a mix of their bass :p .

Weird.  The DT880 has WAY more bass than the k702 for me.  My k702's bass was pretty much 100% inaudible.  It's like the entire signal just vanished below 100hz.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #1,600 of 12,546
Quote:
Maybe it means nothing to you about balanced but I own the headphone. Your mention of gobs og bass is wrong also. The T1 is not a bass heavy headphone. Balanced in my system means that there is no prominence of any area of music. The T1 is very accurate and much better than the 880 I think you should reevaluate your gear if you think the bass is tipped on the T1 could be your source and amp is tipped. Your impressions are misleading and wrong. i only hear great music on my system. But since you seem to like the less expensive 880 thats good for you no need to spend more money.

All I'm hearing is insults, excuses and exaggerations. I never said the T1 was a bass heavy headphone, I said it added some bass coloring the music. Balanced in your system means nothing, people who own the D2000 consider them balanced, what does this tell us? Nothing! Personal preference is playing a leading role in what we hear and what we consider to be balanced, if someone doesn't share your view don't blame the equipment.

You've confirmed it yourself "i only hear great music on my system" ~ This backs up what I'm saying about the T1 adding coloration to the music, thus everything sounds good, even the poorly recorded stuff.

Explain this to me:

Album-A on a DT880 sounds bass-deficient
Album-A on a T1 sounds bass-sufficient
Album-B on a DT880 sounds bass-sufficient
Album-B on a T1 sounds bass-sufficient

My impressions are not misleading and wrong, my impressions are my impressions and you T1-followers need to understand audio is more than a price tag. What's worse is my impressions are backed up through frequency response and similar graphs; I'm wrong, the graphs are wrong, everyone who likes a DT880 is wrong... your highbrow attitude doesn't work with me.

And by the way I heard the T1 on an A1 which is supposed to be an excellent match, even though people here have it and love it I'm sure your going to tell me it needs something better... or it was the bass heavy version... or the bass light... or some other excuse.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #1,601 of 12,546
I understand that you feel the DT880 is more neutral. But how do you feel about the depth on the T1 compared to the DT880? Do the angled drivers really do that much to give you more of a feeling of a performance in front of you? I doubt they can compare to a good pair of speakers, but how are they within the headphone world? Thanks.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #1,602 of 12,546
Quote:
I understand that you feel the DT880 is more neutral. But how do you feel about the depth on the T1 compared to the DT880? Do the angled drivers really do that much to give you more of a feeling of a performance in front of you? I doubt they can compare to a good pair of speakers, but how are they within the headphone world? Thanks.

In my opinion the T1s are very theatrical... I would say I'd prefer rock music on the T1 for the warmer coloration and acoustic on the DT880/HD800 for their accuracy. Yeah I've never found a pair of headphones to mimic a good pair of speakers, then again I've never heard the LCD-2 which is said to be more realistic sounding. I think it was Jude that said the HD800 sounds like a good headphone and the LCD-2 sounds more like real life.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,603 of 12,546

Quote:
Weird.  The DT880 has WAY more bass than the k702 for me.  My k702's bass was pretty much 100% inaudible.  It's like the entire signal just vanished below 100hz.

Well DT-880 PRO on my system is / was clearly more impactfull on bass departement , i ended returning DT-880 pro too much pressure on my ears (DT-880 is ok but still not perfect due to pads/earcups , will try jmoney ones peraphs)  but i maganed to return it only after getting my 600 ohms and it was clear ... DT-880 pro on my setup had much more bass than DT-880-600 ohms wich was like i said a tad more impactfull than K702 , before getting the 600 ohms i really though that it will give me the same level of bass impact with better control and clarity , for clarity and control i was right but for impact not at all . 

If i listen carrefly some stuff from hipocrisy (death metal) (or things like that) , the bass guitare on K702-DT-880 600 ohms are very similar , very detailled one , but  dry , you can listen the metalic sound of bass guitare cords , there is not many Hump , on DT-880 PRO there was much more hump , but the metalic sound was harder to distingish clearly ...

DT-880 pro souded more different than K702 , peraphs better for complementary can , but i prefer DT-880 -600 ohms sound ... 

Peraphs with another amp DT-880 -600 would be another beast , but i really enjoy how it sound on my system . 

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #1,604 of 12,546

Quote:

I would never claim that the K701s had more bass than the DT880s...not at all. Too anemic in that way, the DT880s were much better IMO. Thus my comment about EQing the K701s.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #1,605 of 12,546
Which level of Voltage is needed for 600 OHM (T1 and DT880) headphones for short peak sound pressures of 110 ... 120dB?
Which level is needed for moderate sounding level?

I mean Peak Voltages (not RMS).

My GSP Audio Solo could only drive 30mW rms into 600 Ohms

http://www.headphoneamplifiersusb.com/soloultralinear.htm

Quote:
Power output: (rms, both channels fully driven at 1% THD)
32 Ohms: 140mW/channel; 600 Ohms: 30mW/channel

Are there any sounding differences between DT880 250 Ohm and 600 Ohm?

Did anyone here drive a Beyer 600 Ohm headphone with an Solo amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back