The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 23, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #1,606 of 12,546

subscribed

big fan of my DT880 600 ohm
biggrin.gif

like driving them with a La Figaro 336C OTL tube amp

Dec 23, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #1,607 of 12,546

Quote:
Which level of Voltage is needed for 600 OHM (T1 and DT880) headphones for short peak sound pressures of 110 ... 120dB?
Which level is needed for moderate sounding level?

I mean Peak Voltages (not RMS).

My GSP Audio Solo could only drive 30mW rms into 600 Ohms

http://www.headphoneamplifiersusb.com/soloultralinear.htm

Are there any sounding differences between DT880 250 Ohm and 600 Ohm?

Did anyone here drive a Beyer 600 Ohm headphone with an Solo amp?

For your DT880/600 questions:
This is the thread for you!
biggrin.gif
see link below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

The answer, I suspect, will be no, you can't drive DT880 600 ohm to that kind of volume with a GSP Audio Solo.
I can't find any good efficiency numbers for the DT880 series, the box says SPL is 96 dB and gives no reference level.

However, Assuming this is actually 1 mW = 96 dB, (a reasonable assumption),
then: 
96 dB = 775 mV rms, 1 mW
106 dB = 2.45 V rms, 10 mW
116 dB = 7.74 V rms,  100 mW

OTOH, you should be OK at moderate levels.
smile.gif

Sorry about the double post, forgot to hit the "Multi" button

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #1,609 of 12,546

I have an Hifiman EF-2 (for my HD600's), Between the DT880/DT770 and D2000/5000, which one would be a nicer complement/addition for bass? (house music and rap) Love the balance of the HD600's and EF-2, but additional bass would be nice for a banger. I'm keeping the HD600's, and am looking for something that will fill in the weaknesses of the HD600. (Anything else south of $300 from either Beyerdynamic or Denon I should consider?)

Portability is not a consideration--man-station (home) use only.
Comfort is quite important. If it's down to 2 cans, both the same in all aspects apart from comfort, I'd choose the more comfortable one 9/10 times.

I try to seek out higher quality flac's, but house-music is rarely found beyond standard 128/256 mp3's, so something that's more lenient with crappy sources is a benefit.

Thanks in advance!

btw: I bought my brother ATH M50's, and while the bass is a 'bit more there', for me, even when amped through the EF-2, they were too great a step down from the HD600's. Essentially, an HD600 with more substantial bass would make me happy, but I know that may not be possible due to open vs closed, at a reasonable price anyways.

Dec 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #1,610 of 12,546
Essentially, an HD600 with more substantial bass would make me happy, but I know that may not be possible due to open vs closed, at a reasonable price anyways.

Sure it is, it's called an HD650.

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,611 of 12,546

Quote:
Essentially, an HD600 with more substantial bass would make me happy, but I know that may not be possible due to open vs closed, at a reasonable price anyways.

Sure it is, it's called an HD650.

I've listened to both HD600's and 650's on a tube amp much nicer than mine (Darkvoice's), and the jump is 'not enough'. I don't mind sacrificing a bit on the soundstage/neutrality for a jump in bass. Which of the Beyerdynamics (or Denons) would fit in the family best?

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #1,612 of 12,546
Well I'll just say the DT880 is not for you - its bass is WAY less than the HD650. I can't say as to the other models, hopefully someone else here can.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #1,613 of 12,546
Question for more recent 880 purchasers. I wanted to know are people still experiencing the headband troubles that I have read about? By troubles I mean them disintegrating (coming undone/sticky) due basically to nothing more than people normally wearing them. I came across quite a few threads in the archives about this. I just received my pair of 880s and am a little concerned about this in the future. I have seen many people replace it with the leather (is it leather?) snap band like the one on the 770 Pros which I have. I must say that I do like the snap band, so if it came to it I wouldn't mind having that type of cover on the 880s.

Other than that future concern I've enjoyed them so far. I've only had them a day so far. The position of the adjustable arms moves easier than the 770s, at least my pair does. By that I mean they can accidentally be retracted/shortened by accident a lot easier, but this isn't a problem while wearing so no biggie.

Like I said I'm enjoying them so far. The sound is less thick/full than the 770s, but in a good way. The sound stage is greater due to the semi-open style. They're pretty comfortable, but I've been wearing them for a good while & I'm pretty tired now so the clamp force is finally starting to fatigue me. This has been over hours, so that's not bad. I'm a bass-head, but I don't mind the drop off in bass. I obviously knew that was to be expected from research. I like a little switch in listening with a less colorful sound at the moment. Now I can switch when I feel like it. I've seen some people say the bass in the 880s is completely lacking while others say it's acceptably there. I have to agree with the latter. The bass isn't in your face, but it's satisfactory in its balance with the mids & highs. To me at least.

Just wanted to pop in and ask a question first, then offer up some thoughts as well. Thanks for any help anyone offers up with the headband question.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #1,614 of 12,546

Quote:
Question for more recent 880 purchasers. I wanted to know are people still experiencing the headband troubles that I have read about? By troubles I mean them disintegrating (coming undone/sticky) due basically to nothing more than people normally wearing them. I came across quite a few threads in the archives about this. I just received my pair of 880s and am a little concerned about this in the future. I have seen many people replace it with the leather (is it leather?) snap band like the one on the 770 Pros which I have. I must say that I do like the snap band, so if it came to it I wouldn't mind having that type of cover on the 880s.

Other than that future concern I've enjoyed them so far. I've only had them a day so far. The position of the adjustable arms moves easier than the 770s, at least my pair does. By that I mean they can accidentally be retracted/shortened by accident a lot easier, but this isn't a problem while wearing so no biggie.

Like I said I'm enjoying them so far. The sound is less thick/full than the 770s, but in a good way. The sound stage is greater due to the semi-open style. They're pretty comfortable, but I've been wearing them for a good while & I'm pretty tired now so the clamp force is finally starting to fatigue me. This has been over hours, so that's not bad. I'm a bass-head, but I don't mind the drop off in bass. I obviously knew that was to be expected from research. I like a little switch in listening with a less colorful sound at the moment. Now I can switch when I feel like it. I've seen some people say the bass in the 880s is completely lacking while others say it's acceptably there. I have to agree with the latter. The bass isn't in your face, but it's satisfactory in its balance with the mids & highs. To me at least.

Just wanted to pop in and ask a question first, then offer up some thoughts as well. Thanks for any help anyone offers up with the headband question.

Hi,
I've only had my DT880s for a month, but so far they seem to be built like a tank: very rugged!

I completely agree with your comments on the sound! Very balanced sound.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #1,615 of 12,546
I've used my DT880 (600ohm) for about a year and have no issues with the headband at all.  As for the bass response, I find there is usually (for me) just barely enough.  For recordings I want more bass on, I'll switch over to the Denon D5000 (which have a little too much bass on some recordings (again...for me).   Still getting used to to the Denons (Merry Christmas to meeee!) and finding the bass to be plentiful but flabby/loose.

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #1,616 of 12,546
I don't get why people say that these phones are light in the bass department. I almost lost my eardrums watching Inception with them. 

Would that mean the bass is THAT much more on, say, the HD650? Cause that is just too much bass for me o.O 

I MIGHT get the hd650s one day though, just to see how they sound lol, but only after I save up for the Bifrost! 

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #1,617 of 12,546

Quote:
I don't get why people say that these phones are light in the bass department. I almost lost my eardrums watching Inception with them. 

Would that mean the bass is THAT much more on, say, the HD650? Cause that is just too much bass for me o.O 

I MIGHT get the hd650s one day though, just to see how they sound lol, but only after I save up for the Bifrost! 

Inception: great movie!
beerchug.gif

I'm with you, I have no idea what they are talking about either, they usually have enough bass for, and sometimes TOO much bass.
These comments are probably from the hardcore bassheads.
I don't think the HD650 have more bass, but they do have less treble.
For more bass, try DT770 or maybe DT8990.

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #1,618 of 12,546
Does anyone in this thread have any experience with the Ultrasone Pro 900s, and if so, how do the DT880s sound with the bass response in comparison?  I'm not talking about the amount of bass either, just the punchy vs bloated aspect.  The Ultrasones sound pretty quick to me and kickdrums and bass guitars sound absolutely fantastic on a good recording, but they also might be slightly more emphasized.  I have my DT880/600 set arriving next week, so I'll know more then obviously, but I still don't really know what to expect, other than a more neutral or natural sound.  I'll also be trying them out with the J$ replacement pads since apparently that helps quite a bit with these headphones.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #1,619 of 12,546
Quote:

It's a combination of head-fi being made up from 50% bass-heads and 50% of people not powering them sufficiently, somewhere between that estimate a lof of people are really happy with them.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #1,620 of 12,546
As far as this bass-light thing is concerned, has anyone listened to the 880's side by side with the T70's?

I did last night and I found my 880's to be incredibly bright once my ears were used to the sound of the T70's. I also found the 880's to be lacking alot of sub-bass. Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't think it's an issue with them being under-powered because I'm driving them with a Bottlehead Crack. Maybe they just don't pair that well with this amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back