The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 16, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #11,146 of 12,548
Hi guys quick question. I just bought some of the Dekoni earpads for my 880's because I was having ear pain problems even with the stock replacements (apparently my ears stick out farther now that I've lost weight) and someone here recommended the velour ones as a deep replacement that might fix my problem. What I'm wondering is the Dekoni pads have an integrated bit of fabric behind them and I don't know if I should pull off the factory one that is held in place by the ring or just leave it and put these on over it. The one on the dekoni looks much thinner so I was thinking maybe it's intended to leave the factory one in place?
I'm near certain the holes in the back of the stock DT880 pads really changes the sound of the headphones. Unless you can find pads that have something similar, you'll find that the signature on the headphones changes drastically and, for me, always for the worse.
I haven't tried really thick deep velours or suede pads like ZMF which might be enough to filter out the changes but I'm not sure. Dekoni's pads don't look thick enough for that effect though.

May 16, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #11,147 of 12,548
I understand they may changed the sound, I've already bought them and have them on my desk. I'm trying to understand how to install them though. The factory ones are two piece, the part held down by the clamp ring over the speaker, and the foam ring. The Dekoni have the foam ring with a very thin piece of material attached in the middle that would cover the speaker. becuase it's so thin and doesn't use the clamp ring, I'm confused on whether to leave the factory middle piece installed when I put the Dekoni on. Since someone here recommended them to me I was hoping they'd know :frowning2:

May 16, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #11,148 of 12,548
My mistake. The cloth will have little to no effect from my experience. Cloth that thin is supposed to be 'transparent' in terms of sound. I'd leave the foam on as foam does tend to attenuate treble when placed on the ear side.

May 17, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #11,150 of 12,548
Hey guys, I'm thinking about using an Aune T1se as the DAC for my 600-ohm 880s and an Objective2 for my amp. The Aune will have to wait a little bit because it is a little pricey for my humble means, but I can purchase the O2 now.

Which one would be a better match for my setup? The JDS Labs version or the Massdrop version? I could save a little money by going with the Massdrop version, but if the extra money buys me something slightly nicer, then maybe I'll go with JDS Labs. What do you guys think?

Thank you,
Alec

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #11,153 of 12,548
So how is it sounding?? :)
Got them on tonight. I like them so far. They did do what they say they would on their site which is bring up the bass tones a bit. Maybe tempered the treble just a hair. They still sound really good though and actually paired with a Schiit modi/magni uber I think the pads just dialed the sound in for me besides fixing my ear pain issue. The pain is from that I also use them with a modmic 5 as a gaming headset for long group gaming sessions and after a couple hours I'd be ready to take them off but the group stuff would still have an hour to go. Before I replaced the original factory pads with new ones a couple months ago I could barely run them 30-45 minutes without having the problem.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #11,154 of 12,548
Got them on tonight. I like them so far. They did do what they say they would on their site which is bring up the bass tones a bit. Maybe tempered the treble just a hair. They still sound really good though and actually paired with a Schiit modi/magni uber I think the pads just dialed the sound in for me besides fixing my ear pain issue. The pain is from that I also use them with a modmic 5 as a gaming headset for long group gaming sessions and after a couple hours I'd be ready to take them off but the group stuff would still have an hour to go. Before I replaced the original factory pads with new ones a couple months ago I could barely run them 30-45 minutes without having the problem.

I tried to mess with the bass a bit by using the following:

dt660.1.jpg

Bass reflex system from the 660.32

and:
dt770.1.jpg

bass reflex system from the 770.80

BUT.... they didn't work out. It messed up the signature.
As you can tell they are both different. Apparently according to another head-fi'er @kman1211 , the system on 660.32 is same as on dt831.The 660 w/o bass relfex system and closed cap off is basically a dt860. An opened dt660 with bass reflex is a 860/660 hybrid. kmann says you can have this 3 in one with the dt831. Just food for thought.

However, i ended up putting some sorbothane on the back of the driver magnet in the center, and it controlled the 30-60hz vibrations quite well. This allowed for EQ bumps with little issue. Simple yet effective mod. I wanted the bass reflex systems to turn the bass magical, but it just didn't work out. Looked cool though :D

YMMV, no need to tinker the 880 too much, it is damn near perfect as is. :D

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #11,156 of 12,548
The strange part is that these pads are made for 770 and 880 but those headphones use different pads since one is opeope and one is closed.
A 880 with 770 pads sounds muddy as hell without any highs and a dt770 with 880 pads has no bass at all.
So how can those pads be meant for both headphones?

Of course your major goal was to improve the comfort but, don't get me wrong, why buy a dt880 if it's not about the sound.

May 18, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #11,157 of 12,548
I tried to mess with the bass a bit by using the following:

Bass reflex system from the 660.32

and:

bass reflex system from the 770.80

BUT.... they didn't work out. It messed up the signature.
As you can tell they are both different. Apparently according to another head-fi'er @kman1211 , the system on 660.32 is same as on dt831.The 660 w/o bass relfex system and closed cap off is basically a dt860. An opened dt660 with bass reflex is a 860/660 hybrid. kmann says you can have this 3 in one with the dt831. Just food for thought.

However, i ended up putting some sorbothane on the back of the driver magnet in the center, and it controlled the 30-60hz vibrations quite well. This allowed for EQ bumps with little issue. Simple yet effective mod. I wanted the bass reflex systems to turn the bass magical, but it just didn't work out. Looked cool though :D

YMMV, no need to tinker the 880 too much, it is damn near perfect as is. :D

Well it’s not quite. The DT 440 32 has a different dampening. It had a dampening cap on the magnet as you can see on some DT 770’s. But you can make the DT 831 closed, semi-open, and open is what I meant by 3 in 1. I don’t know what the DT 860 looks like inside in terms of dampening. The other differences is the grill used.

On another note. I grabbed a DT 880 Black - 250 Ohm for like $110 new. Should have it early next week. Never owned the DT 880.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #11,158 of 12,548
Well it’s not quite. The DT 440 32 has a different dampening. It had a dampening cap on the magnet as you can see on some DT 770’s. But you can make the DT 831 closed, semi-open, and open is what I meant by 3 in 1. I don’t know what the DT 860 looks like inside in terms of dampening. The other differences is the grill used.

On another note. I grabbed a DT 880 Black - 250 Ohm for like $110 new. Should have it early next week. Never owned the DT 880.

I am very interested in your impressions, particularly in comparison to the Amiron (knowing that you like it). Someone wanted me to compare the two once and I have not done it because I did not know what to say. Maybe you can help me with that :) I will just point him to your post...

May 18, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #11,159 of 12,548
The strange part is that these pads are made for 770 and 880 but those headphones use different pads since one is opeope and one is closed.
A 880 with 770 pads sounds muddy as hell without any highs and a dt770 with 880 pads has no bass at all.
So how can those pads be meant for both headphones?

Of course your major goal was to improve the comfort but, don't get me wrong, why buy a dt880 if it's not about the sound.

I've had the 880's for a few years now. The comfort issue started cropping up after I lost a bunch of weight. I figured $40 for new pads or $$$$$ trying to find new headphones that I like the sound of and came with pads that worked for me. I kept the factory pads though since I just swapped them a couple months ago. So if I decide I don't like the new sound I can always put them back on, use the 880's just for music, and find something else for gaming.

May 18, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #11,160 of 12,548

Thats surprising you have not had an 880. Look forward to your impressions. That is quite a bargain for what the 880 is.

This is some pics of 660 internals (with backplate off) and the 860 (pic borrowed from @rlisin )

860dt.jpg
dt660.7.jpg

They look the same to me minus the bass reflex system.

And yes, the way you refer to the 831 as a 3 in 1 is the same i refer to the 660. That being, closed, semi-open, and open. I refer to semi-open as open with bass reflex system. In my case the 660, with the closed cap off, and but the bass reflex system in. This same bass reflex system I tried with 880 as well as the 80 ohm 770 bass reflex system. I am thinking the problems resulted from the bass reflex systems not being "glued" steady, as i was receiving some slight buzzing. The signature was not to my liking, but i can't exactly pinpoint why.

I may try it again down the road.

Anyway, interested to see how you compare the Amiron, 480, and the 880 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back