The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
May 18, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #11,161 of 12,546
I understand they may changed the sound, I've already bought them and have them on my desk. I'm trying to understand how to install them though. The factory ones are two piece, the part held down by the clamp ring over the speaker, and the foam ring. The Dekoni have the foam ring with a very thin piece of material attached in the middle that would cover the speaker. becuase it's so thin and doesn't use the clamp ring, I'm confused on whether to leave the factory middle piece installed when I put the Dekoni on. Since someone here recommended them to me I was hoping they'd know :frowning2:

I removed the cloth from the dekoni pads on my T5p, DT880 and HD800S; it's not needed in all cases (ymmv)

May 18, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #11,162 of 12,546
I am very interested in your impressions, particularly in comparison to the Amiron (knowing that you like it). Someone wanted me to compare the two once and I have not done it because I did not know what to say. Maybe you can help me with that :) I will just point him to your post...

Thank you. I am looking forward to the comparison as well. I have heard the DT 880 but never owned it and owning is different than auditioning. Only problem is I am getting a little bored of the warm sound in general, I spent so much time with the Amiron and HD 660 S, I'm starting to lean more towards the more neutral and less warm sound but I do still want good body to the sound.

Thats surprising you have not had an 880. Look forward to your impressions. That is quite a bargain for what the 880 is.

This is some pics of 660 internals (with backplate off) and the 860 (pic borrowed from @rlisin )

They look the same to me minus the bass reflex system.

And yes, the way you refer to the 831 as a 3 in 1 is the same i refer to the 660. That being, closed, semi-open, and open. I refer to semi-open as open with bass reflex system. In my case the 660, with the closed cap off, and but the bass reflex system in. This same bass reflex system I tried with 880 as well as the 80 ohm 770 bass reflex system. I am thinking the problems resulted from the bass reflex systems not being "glued" steady, as i was receiving some slight buzzing. The signature was not to my liking, but i can't exactly pinpoint why.

I may try it again down the road.

Anyway, interested to see how you compare the Amiron, 480, and the 880 :D

It is, I haven't owned the most famous Beyer despite being a Beyer fan. Haven't ever owned a DT 770 either.

Ah okay, it's a bit different from the DT 831 which has this rubber stopper thing connected to the bass reflex system. I always bypassed the system. Found just directly connecting the driver or putting vibration control on the baffle helps.

My DT 480 is great, when I get it just right I like it more than any of my other headphones, sometimes the new mods completely ruin the sound and I have to revert a lot. The DT 480 is weird in terms of bass and sound in general in regards to mods, for example a little too much sorbothane may suck out the bass, or badly placed sorbothane can too. But do it just right and there is just as much as modern headphones. I'll do more mods later, but I'm focusing on other headphones for now.

I do have a Q701 coming in tomorrow which I plan on modifying too as I want to hear the AKGs potential, I've caught glimpses of it in the past, but not sure if I'll feel the same now. I'll compare it to the DT 880 as well. I may mod the DT 880 slightly too, depends on how similar I find the fidelity of it's driver and my DT 831's as both are 250 Ohm Beyer drivers of a similar type but the magnets and baffle are different so I assume the two Beyer drivers are not equal in terms of fidelity as magnet design plays a huge role in terms of fidelity.

May do a comparison of them both the DT 880 and Q701 stock and modded. What I'm curious about is which headphone has the better driver as in which can sound better when more of their potential is brought out. Modifying a headphone gives me a better idea of what the driver is capable of in ideal conditions.

I have modified the Amiron in the past with some improvements, but I like to leave that headphone stock, nothing really bothers me about it stock. I got that impression with the DT 880 in my auditions, but that's something I find only long-term listening can truly tell.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #11,163 of 12,546
Hey guys, I'm thinking about using an Aune T1se as the DAC for my 600-ohm 880s and an Objective2 for my amp. The Aune will have to wait a little bit because it is a little pricey for my humble means, but I can purchase the O2 now.

Which one would be a better match for my setup? The JDS Labs version or the Massdrop version? I could save a little money by going with the Massdrop version, but if the extra money buys me something slightly nicer, then maybe I'll go with JDS Labs. What do you guys think?

Thank you,
Alec

Anyone? Is it a 6 of one, half dozen of the other kind of deal?

May 19, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #11,164 of 12,546
Thank you. I am looking forward to the comparison as well. I have heard the DT 880 but never owned it and owning is different than auditioning. Only problem is I am getting a little bored of the warm sound in general, I spent so much time with the Amiron and HD 660 S, I'm starting to lean more towards the more neutral and less warm sound but I do still want good body to the sound.

It is, I haven't owned the most famous Beyer despite being a Beyer fan. Haven't ever owned a DT 770 either.

Ah okay, it's a bit different from the DT 831 which has this rubber stopper thing connected to the bass reflex system. I always bypassed the system. Found just directly connecting the driver or putting vibration control on the baffle helps.

My DT 480 is great, when I get it just right I like it more than any of my other headphones, sometimes the new mods completely ruin the sound and I have to revert a lot. The DT 480 is weird in terms of bass and sound in general in regards to mods, for example a little too much sorbothane may suck out the bass, or badly placed sorbothane can too. But do it just right and there is just as much as modern headphones. I'll do more mods later, but I'm focusing on other headphones for now.

I do have a Q701 coming in tomorrow which I plan on modifying too as I want to hear the AKGs potential, I've caught glimpses of it in the past, but not sure if I'll feel the same now. I'll compare it to the DT 880 as well. I may mod the DT 880 slightly too, depends on how similar I find the fidelity of it's driver and my DT 831's as both are 250 Ohm Beyer drivers of a similar type but the magnets and baffle are different so I assume the two Beyer drivers are not equal in terms of fidelity as magnet design plays a huge role in terms of fidelity.

May do a comparison of them both the DT 880 and Q701 stock and modded. What I'm curious about is which headphone has the better driver as in which can sound better when more of their potential is brought out. Modifying a headphone gives me a better idea of what the driver is capable of in ideal conditions.

I have modified the Amiron in the past with some improvements, but I like to leave that headphone stock, nothing really bothers me about it stock. I got that impression with the DT 880 in my auditions, but that's something I find only long-term listening can truly tell.
Is 88 mW at 600 ohms enough juice for those cans?

May 21, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #11,165 of 12,546
I think I found my endgame in the DT-880 600ohm Editions that fit within my current budget. Been trying to keep my budget south of $300 US and so far the DT-880 are near perfect for how I like headphones to sound. And while I have heard better sounding headphones, so far nothing under $1K, which is higher then I am willing to spend. It was also nice that they were $163 shipped brand new.

May 21, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #11,166 of 12,546
I think I found my endgame in the DT-880 600ohm Editions that fit within my current budget. Been trying to keep my budget south of $300 US and so far the DT-880 are near perfect for how I like headphones to sound. And while I have heard better sounding headphones, so far nothing under $1K, which is higher then I am willing to spend. It was also nice that they were $163 shipped brand new.

Congrats on getting them, they are really cheap right now for sure making them an amazing value. I got my DT 880 Black 250 Ohm in today. Quite enjoying them, very neutral and even. Also just acquired a like-new Austrian-made Q701. Both are excellent but it’s still way too early to pick a favorite and I need to see which I like more long term. No idea how I’ll feel about them compared to my Amiron, HD 660S, or DT 480 yet.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #11,168 of 12,546
Was wondering if anyone has ever heard a pair of dt880 with a pair of JMoney leather pads ? I bought a new pair of the pads 5 or 6 years ago and have never used them.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #11,169 of 12,546
Anyone? Is it a 6 of one, half dozen of the other kind of deal?
I actually have the Mayflower version! I doubt that there is much of a difference between the various versions, but I would recommend searching head-fi for posts concerning the earlier Massdrop version.

Jun 11, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #11,171 of 12,546
Does it make sense to use dt880 600 with high end gear? I'm thinking of hugott2 and logic says you need high end cans but i like dt880 so much.

Jun 12, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #11,173 of 12,546
Does it make sense to use dt880 600 with high end gear? I'm thinking of hugott2 and logic says you need high end cans but i like dt880 so much.

Yes. Since they are one of a few mid priced cans that don't have huge flaws they reveal lots of what's going on upstream. Not at all a waste to use with my Yggy-A, and easily showed the incremental improvements of Yggy-B.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #11,175 of 12,546
Hello,
Someone knows if there's differences between the standard dt880 and the black edition?
The packaging of the BE edition says that has a driver made of special materials and someone that I know has said to me that these are truly amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back