The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 9, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #10,787 of 12,546
Nice find @FuzzyD

DT880 are one of the best values in headphones if not *the* best. And that's a good price. I like the look of the all black limited edition. Wish it came in 600 ohm.

Enjoy! Let us know what you think.

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #10,788 of 12,546
just received my dt880 250 prem. HOLY F the sound so precise, separation and sound stage just amazing, feeling like they are licking my ears :D even on integrated via, now waiting for modi2uber\vali2 in 2 days to decide about bass, mixed feelings atm.

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #10,789 of 12,546
  just received my dt880 250 prem. HOLY F the sound so precise, separation and sound stage just amazing, feeling like they are licking my ears :D even on integrated via, now waiting for modi2uber\vali2 in 2 days to decide about bass, mixed feelings atm.

Its great to hear that these cans can impress so much.  Have you listened to more expensive headphones to offer a comparison against them ?  What is it about the bass that you are in two minds about ?

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #10,790 of 12,546
No, for 4 years i've owned 3 pairs of superlux 668b and 2 pairs of takstar hi2050 those are decent sounding budget headphones, takstar almost as durable and comfortable as bayers, was listening on VIA Vinyl integrated no amp.

Sound-wise dt880 atleast ~30% better in all possible ways compared to hi2050, comfort about the same maybe ~10% better. In 2 days with amp and dac i also receive Kingston CloudX eg. takstar pro80 (gift for a friend) with brainwavez hybrid pads, will test them as well.

Also my mother Vocal teacher with 25 years experience was impressed by sound-stage and details, very positive review from her vocal\instrumental\jazz.

Sorry its almost impossible for me to give any decent review due to lack of experience in headphones and amps.

Right now i feel like bass below 60 hz is not powerful enough, i bet its because of no amplification, so i will wait on it until vali2 arrival. Feels like on takstar hi2050 which is about 80ohm's bass is loud and punchy(for semi-open) in 30-60hz range, while on dt880 its weak. I definitely need to research it more. Also i'm expecting harsh treble, but was surprised how pleasant it is in real life. With -2db@8000hz and -1.5db@10000hz all sibilance is gone. Even without EQ tweaks those peaks are not annoying as i was thinking they would be.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #10,791 of 12,546
  No, for 4 years i've owned 3 pairs of superlux 668b and 2 pairs of takstar hi2050 those are decent sounding budget headphones, takstar almost as durable and comfortable as bayers, was listening on VIA Vinyl integrated no amp.

Sound-wise dt880 atleast ~30% better in all possible ways compared to hi2050, comfort about the same maybe ~10% better. In 2 days with amp and dac i also receive Kingston CloudX eg. takstar pro80 (gift for a friend) with brainwavez hybrid pads, will test them as well.

Also my mother Vocal teacher with 25 years experience was impressed by sound-stage and details, very positive review from her vocal\instrumental\jazz.

Sorry its almost impossible for me to give any decent review due to lack of experience in headphones and amps.

Right now i feel like bass below 60 hz is not powerful enough, i bet its because of no amplification, so i will wait on it until vali2 arrival. Feels like on takstar hi2050 which is about 80ohm's bass is loud and punchy(for semi-open) in 30-60hz range, while on dt880 its weak. I definitely need to research it more. Also i'm expecting harsh treble, but was surprised how pleasant it is in real life. With -2db@8000hz and -1.5db@10000hz all sibilance is gone. Even without EQ tweaks those peaks are not annoying as i was thinking they would be.

Hi-2050 has just a tad more bass than DT880

Vali2 can help to make DT880 a little bit warmer, but it's not a power thing.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #10,792 of 12,546
Good morning, to all.

I recently decided that it was time to stop reading reviews on the internet and finally purchase my first set of headphones. After many considerations (budget, music genre, reviews, etc) I went ahead and got the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600 ohm headphones.

Having nothing to compare them to (other than regular earbud headphones that come included with your smartphone) and even though I'm no audiophile, I knew I was going to notice the difference right away.

As soon as I got them, I plugged them straight into my laptop's 3.5mm jack. For such a high impedance headphone, I got decent volume coming out of the headphones.

I was like a kid with a new toy. I immediately tried all of my favorite MP3s and started comparing them to FLAC files to see if I was able to pick up those infamous "inconsistencies" and "nuances". Sadly though, my ears are not trained enough and I'm pretty sure that I have a bottle neck in my laptop's sound card, so I couldn't tell you spot on which was which 85% of the time and the other 15% I was probably guessing; but regardless of that, it was clear that it was as if I had a hearing impairment that was cured by these headphones.

In order to get the most out of them, I also purchased the Little Dot MK2. As per my findings on the different forums, this combination seemed to be an ideal one. I definitely get a lot more volume now, although I do have to turn the knob all the way to 5 o'clock. The bass is not as deep as I had hoped it would be and in some FLAC files the highs tend to sound a little bright for my taste. I haven't rolled the tubes and don't plan on doing it any time soon, so it might have something to do with the stock tubes.

However, I'm really pleased overall with the DT880 and the way they now sounds in combination with the Little Dot.

If you have any advice on how I can get them to sound better, I'm really eager to learn.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #10,794 of 12,546

Do your headphones have a serial number sticker above the right ear cup? I received mine from Focus Camera (authorized seller according to Beyer) and they do not, although another head-fier that just bought from them does. I'm planning on returning them.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #10,796 of 12,546

Do your headphones have a serial number sticker above the right ear cup? I received mine from Focus Camera (authorized seller according to Beyer) and they do not, although another head-fier that just bought from them does. I'm planning on returning them.

Nope no sticker either, bought from Thomann Germany.

Sorry for double posting thought engine will join my messages together.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #10,797 of 12,546
  If that is true then i'm already thinking to complement dt880 with some other pair for EDM.

Yep, I have both. Takstar HI-2050 sits between DT880 and DT990 in terms of bass quantity.
If you use a computer as source you can always pick a quality parametric equalizer and give the bass a slight boost, DT880 will respond very well.
I think you can demo DMG Equality for free.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #10,798 of 12,546

Yep, I have both. Takstar HI-2050 sits between DT880 and DT990 in terms of bass quantity.
If you use a computer as source you can always pick a quality parametric equalizer and give the bass a slight boost, DT880 will respond very well.
I think you can demo DMG Equality for free.

Using peace gui & apo atm 

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #10,799 of 12,546
Nope no sticker either, bought from Thomann Germany.

Sorry for double posting thought engine will join my messages together.

That's just strange. One of us had a serial number sticker. Two of us did not. Did your box have a security seal/sticker on it? Ours did not.

Do you have all the all black premium edition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back