The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Apr 17, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #7,036 of 12,546
Correct, if you're able to get enough volume with the 250s then you're "fine". You may or may not notice a big difference with a standalone DAC and Amp (or combo). For some people the difference would be subtle, and for people with trained ears, they may describe it as night and day... Truthfully, I think you'd hear a difference but nothing like the difference in a different pair of headphones. I don't know how trained your ears are though.

The 600s seem different in that first you need to be able to drive them, so you get an amp, and they respond to the amp's characteristics more. But I'm no expert with these at all -- I've only had mine a few weeks. Perhaps the 250s show differences in amps just as much.

I'm able to drive my 600s pretty well with my existing equipment, but I'm looking for some character from a tube amp and these seem to be the headphones to do it with.

I can safely say this though, if you're getting enough volume now, a $50 amp isn't going to make much difference for you.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #7,037 of 12,546
So what are the preferred pads for the 880s nowadays now that J$ are gone?  what out there works?

also, are the regular 880/600ohm and the manufacture cans the same besides the cosmetics?

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #7,038 of 12,546
Correct, if you're able to get enough volume with the 250s then you're "fine". You may or may not notice a big difference with a standalone DAC and Amp (or combo). For some people the difference would be subtle, and for people with trained ears, they may describe it as night and day... Truthfully, I think you'd hear a difference but nothing like the difference in a different pair of headphones. I don't know how trained your ears are though.

The 600s seem different in that first you need to be able to drive them, so you get an amp, and they respond to the amp's characteristics more. But I'm no expert with these at all -- I've only had mine a few weeks. Perhaps the 250s show differences in amps just as much.

I'm able to drive my 600s pretty well with my existing equipment, but I'm looking for some character from a tube amp and these seem to be the headphones to do it with.

I can safely say this though, if you're getting enough volume now, a $50 amp isn't going to make much difference for you.

Thanks for the thorough advice! Much appreciated. I would say I'm a semi-trained listener--have had several pairs of "nice" headphones before this: Grado SR-60s, a couple pairs of Ultimate Ears, a pair of Etymotics, the M50s, the AIAIAI TMA-1s. But, the DT880s are definitely a step up from everything else I've had (and the first time in years I've had a moment where I just went "****, I'm hearing this song for the first time"...nothing beats that). I'd say I'd probably notice the difference, but not by much--at this point, it doesn't seem like there's much point in buying a cheap amp, so I'll be saving up to get something better once I get the itch. Thanks again! 

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #7,039 of 12,546
  Thanks TrollDragon, Bill-P and Rem0o. Interesting TD, as you have a Little Dot MKIV. So I guess you're saying if you were starting again, you'd....

I do have the LD MK IV and really enjoy it with the DT880's.
It is a Chinese amp which you can really tell after you open it up. I had to replace the headphone jack on mine about two weeks in, the one they used is a Neutrik clone that can be purchased for $0.20 each in thousand(s) quantity. Then the poor solder quality on the board, I went over the board while I had it apart touching up all the joints as a bit of preventative maintenance.

When one finds the right tubes though, the LD MK IV hits well above it's price point. When I first listened to the amp upon arrival is was like meh, really... wow was this ever a real waste of money. So I read up on some threads and changed the gain from the default setting of 3 to 5 which really brought this little amplifier alive with the DT880's. A quick search for tubes lead me to the rolling thread, now there is a thread that can help empty your wallet really quickly. 
wink.gif

I rolled a couple of dozen different tubes and then the rolling thread moved onto B9A drivers and then to Octal drivers and power tubes, external filament power supplies...
Anyone with a LD I+, MK II, III, IV or IV SE really needs to try anything other than stock tubes, RCA 6DT6A's in EF92 mode or Sylvania / Yugoslavian 6HM5 tall versions in EF95 mode were the sweet spot of the 7 pin drivers. Now I have a case full of tubes that I probably will not listen to again, but such is the case when you chose to roll tubes.

So I suggested the Valhalla as it should have a better build quality than the LD, 5yr warranty and comes stock with B9A driver tubes, so you can roll those Siemens Cca's or Voskhod 6Н23П's.

To answer if I was starting again, I'd go straight for the Woo WA-6SE, there a certain aesthetic to the Woo Audio line, and a big Sophia Electric™ mesh plate 274B.
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #7,040 of 12,546
Great reply, thanks. I've been reading reviews on the Valhalla all night (and listening to my 880s of course) and the only reservation I have is that the consensus is it's not very "tube-y". I really want to hear that sound, but my common sense tells me I outta just try the Valhalla first.

Researching on this forum, which is only about a month new to me, gives me major warm-fuzzies... and so much to learn! But it's time to click the BUY button.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #7,043 of 12,546
  Can you guys help me narrow down my tube amp search?

Darkvoice 336
Little Dot MKIII
Little Dot MKIV
Schiit Valhalla

This would be just for the 880s. I understand some tube changes may be necessary.

I'll describe what I'm looking for and hopefully it'll help:

I really like the way the 880 sounds as-is, but I think it has more potential. Overall, I'd like to hear some silky, lush, tube magic, and assuming there is a such a thing, my guess is it'll make the treble sweeter but also make the bass mushier. I definitely would like to smooth out the highs, which can get edgy sometimes. For the bass, a thicker, punchy low mid/upper bass would be great. I think the sub-low part of the 880s is fine.

Whaddaya guys think?

I liked my DT880s with my 336C, I had the La Figaro version.
No complaints, really, once I started rolling in some inexpensive NOS tubes.
A very nice, lush, warm sound, the 336C took the dryness off the DT880 cans.  
The bass didn't really get mushy, but the highs did get smoother and airier.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #7,044 of 12,546
Awesome Chris, because that's what I bought! (The DV SE though). 

I actually pulled the trigger on the Valhalla last night, but the gun misfired. I had decided I should take the enthusiastic advice of three of you and get the Valhalla. Great reputation, well-known synergy with the 880, made in the US, and I'd have it in a couple of days... it really was the sensible thing to buy. I put it in my cart, filled in the shipping and billing info, and watched the price go up to $400 with tax and shipping. Ugh. Not where I wanted to be.

The DV 336 was one of the first recommendations I'd seen, and the first amp I looked into. I had checked it out on Amazon, where there was only a single review, but it was high praise from a guy who seemed to know what he was talking about. And it was only $300 shipped. I've been trying to talk myself out of it ever since -- knowing that customer service could be an issue and reading about it not exactly being a shining example of fidelity. But it is well known for tubey-ness and character.

I already have equipment that can drive the 600 Ohm, so what would I get from the Valhalla, which is known for only having a slight tube sound in the mids, and some even say a little brightness? If I didn't have an amp that could drive these 880s, then yes, I can absolutely see where this would be my best choice -- a neutral amp with slight tube character -- but I want to hear tubes in all their warm syrupy glory.

I remembered the Bottlehead Crack, and went to the website. Just under $300. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, so I seriously thought about it. Then I watched the video where a guy (who seems very experienced with electronics and soldering) said it took him 8 hours. Ok, that means at least 10-12 for me then. And if you make mistakes, good luck troubleshooting. I know I could do it, but honestly I think I'd rather floss my teeth for 10 hours. And while it's not a deal breaker, to me it looks like a DIY project from the '60s that would be a big eyesore on my desk.

I took a look at my Amazon cart with the 336 and took the checkout process right up to "Place Your Order", to make sure of the final price. Yep... $300.

No... I should do the sensible thing! Back the Schiit page. I could always return the Valhalla. I hit the button to approve my purchase, and...

"There Are No Products In Your Cart".

I guess the cart timed-out. As if it wasn't even me doing it, my mouse moved to the Amazon page and clicked "Place Your Order".

And now I wait 2-4 for weeks for a box full of syrup!
atsmile.gif
 Hey, if I find out tubes aren't for me I can sell it.

Thanks for all the help guys! I apologize for the long-windedness.... brevity is not my strong suit 
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #7,046 of 12,546
Enjoy your DarkVoice!
That was one of the first amps I looked at and it was a coin toss between it and the LD MK IV.
:beerchug:

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #7,049 of 12,546
Never ran it in that config before. NFB12 is at home and the T90s are at work. I'm kinda backwards in that my work setup is better than my home. Safe work environment and more time to dedicate to hps there lets me afford the backwards setup. :)

E: I'll probably either take the T90s home or the NFB12 to work one day so I can find out. Probably the NFB12 to work. :)

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #7,050 of 12,546
Uh boy, on to reading up on tubes. The Darkvoice 336 Tube Rolling Thread has a Part 1 (99 pages) and a Part 2.

To avoid turning the discussion into "what tubes should I get?", if any of you have found a great combo for the 336 and could PM me I'd be really grateful!! I'll of course be doing lots of reading too, but you guys could help me cut to the chase. Any good online sources or eBay seller recommendations appreciated too.

I'm looking for a combo that has a smooth sweetness to the highs, and more thump in the lows. Detail in the treble is good but nothing too bright -- I'd like to tame the highs a bit.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back