The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #1,472 of 12,546
Hi guys,

I'm contemplating the DT880 600 Ohm at the moment and went to their site and toyed around with the Manufaktur tool.
Here are some of the variations I think are nice. Don't worry, I won't quit the day job :wink:

Design 1:

Design 2:

Design 3:

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,474 of 12,546
FWIW, I like the 2nd and 4th designs. 3rd might grow on me. 1st seems reminiscent of a 598 - was that what you were going for?

Cool you can roll you're own and make something really distinct and personal. The cans themselves are awesome - let us know if you pull the trigger and take some shots of the real thing.

Nov 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #1,475 of 12,546

Quote:
FWIW, I like the 2nd and 4th designs. 3rd might grow on me. 1st seems reminiscent of a 598 - was that what you were going for?
Cool you can roll you're own and make something really distinct and personal. The cans themselves are awesome - let us know if you pull the trigger and take some shots of the real thing.

Thanks for the thoughts, captouch.

I'm leaning towards Design 2 myself. It looks quite classy and will maybe just add black pads. I haven't yet completely decided on which cans to get. I currently have the noise-cancelling Audio Technica ATH-ANC7b and want to get a great sounding non-NC headphone. I've been reading a lot and have managed to confuse myself thoroughly. The best thing to do is to find a dealer who will let me audition the DT880 in the various Ohm versions and hopefully the AKG K701 as well as the Sennheiser HD600.

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #1,477 of 12,546
So I tried those leather pads on my DT880 last night for a couple minutes and didn't like it much. I've been using them on my HE500 headphones and like them better so that saved me around $30 and a trip to B&H.

i used the DT880 for the first time in weeks if not months and they sound pretty good although not as capable as my HE500 but at the price they go for not much to complain about esp if you buy in the used market where they go for $200 or so.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #1,479 of 12,546
let this thread stay awake with another new member here! :wink:

very proud to own this pair of headphone.. really bring me to another level in the audio world.. and reading the past 99 pages took me quite a while.. heard so many fantabulous stuffs about pairing this sweet cans with tubes.. but i don't think I'm gonna go into that area yet.. wanna make my set up portable.. 

currently pairing this sweet pair of cans with GoVibe Porta Tube.. anyone here wanna share their experiences with this amp?

my thoughts:
being new in this area, I will use my own words to accurately describe how i feel about this combination, as there are some jargons around here that i need to familiarize myself with first..

anyways, playing music from my iphone 4 with dt880 sounds good but it sounds even better when i run it through the GVPT.. everything seems to be more focus/packed or should i say overall it has more punch when i listen to the same music.. as for vocals (usually described as mids right?), they are not liquid/smooth enough though.. carries a bit of 'roughness' but i am ok with it.. am getting use to the sound of this combination as time goes by.. really love how the piano sounds, as well as guitars and other string instruments.. however, I am not really enjoying all songs from rock/pop genres as some of them presents itself as one whole chunk, wanted separation or at least a slight separation in these genres.. when it comes to female vocals (e.g. colbie caillat, hayley westenra, adele), the soundstage really pleases me as well as the separation of the instruments in the background..

that's all i can contribute.. will continue to train my ears as they are still very green.. just stepped into the world of audiophile and hope to learn more from u guys.. THANKS! 
beyersmile.png

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #1,481 of 12,546
Gentlemen,
I'm sorry for posting a question that has certainly been answered before here, but I've seen many mixed responses on Head-Fi. What is the difference between the Pro, Premium, Consumer and any other marketing clichè Beyer comes up with? I've seen users saying the difference is only in looks, some say comfort is different as well, and at least 2 people said the sound was very different. At this point I don't even know if the Pros relate to different models or to different impedances in each model. Is there a definite answer to this? 

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #1,483 of 12,546
To anyone who has tried both (since I can't find a comparative review): between the Shure SRH940 and the DT800 600ohm, which did you prefer? Why? I'm looking for a detailed pair, and apparently both are, so now I'm not sure. Also the fact that the SRH940 are cheaper and have lower impedance, while the DT880 gnaw at your amp decision and your wallet also is making me look at Shure's contender in a more favorable light.

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #1,484 of 12,546

Quote:
To anyone who has tried both (since I can't find a comparative review): between the Shure SRH940 and the DT800 600ohm, which did you prefer? Why? I'm looking for a detailed pair, and apparently both are, so now I'm not sure. Also the fact that the SRH940 are cheaper and have lower impedance, while the DT880 gnaw at your amp decision and your wallet also is making me look at Shure's contender in a more favorable light.

Heya, I currently have both right here with me. I prefer the DT880 600ohm because it's a more complete package. Both are great cans and they excel in their own ways. The SRH940 reveals a lot more details - up to the LCD-2s and Ultrasones. However, bass quantity is their only weakness.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,485 of 12,546

Quote:

Not even close...the DT880/600s on a good OTL tube amp will smoke the uber treble happy and bass-lite SRH940s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back