The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 27, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #1,486 of 12,546
Ok that's the problem: I don't intend to use tubes. I have never tried tubes, but in my limited knowledge, using a revealing pair of headphones with an amp that creates loads of distortion wouldn't work that well. I would use tubes with something like the HD650. I intend to build NwAvGuy's O2 amp and use whatever pair I get with that, since it's supposed to be a budget wire-with-gain.

Thank you Nikp, I really needed someone who owned both to pitch in. I really want detailed headphones, however I don't want "lots of detail" to turn out to just be "bright", as Macedonian mentioned. I know I might have to give in just settle for something in between, but I am looking for a detailed neutral headphone*. I don't intend to use them with bass-heavy music, and if I do I'll EQ a bit, but I don't want them to be bright either.

*and now you all say "and I want to marry Natalie Portman"

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,487 of 12,546
Owning a DT-880 600 Ω since last friday very happy with it , no confort issue (too much clamping on my hears) like my previous DT-880 PRO wich i returned after receiving my 600Ω and compared it a bit . 

DT-880 PRO : Proeminent highs , less mids , and much more bass impact . Soudstage is smaller , sound more congested , more in your face .  A bit like a U shape but not soo exagerated like DT-990 .

DT-880 Ω Highs are less proeminants a bit more than my K702 , bass are much less impactfull , in fact on my setup just a tad more than my K702 ... mediums  are much more present not very far from my K702 (tamed highs and less impactfull bass helped i think) . Soundstage hum bigger than DT-880 pro and close to K702 , the sound is clearer than DT-880 Pro , and airier too , not like K702 , beetween the two .

DT-880 600Ω sound closer to my K702 than DT-880 Pro did . 

But my K702 have 900 hours ... soo will not make a comparaison now . 

My Setup Audio GD NFB-2 , C2.1 ss (head amp) . Working very well for me with DT-880 600Ω , i see many praising OTL tubes amp but , what would it bring ? more warmth , roled off highs ? more bass impact to shadow mediums ? if it's that No Thanks . I think i like bright cans
tongue_smile.gif
and not too much bass impact (peraphs used to K702 sound) .

I know that there is great OTL tube that are not warm or don't roll off highs , but the very few otl tubes that i tryed on friends house never convinced me ...

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #1,488 of 12,546
Quote:
Not even close...the DT880/600s on a good OTL tube amp will smoke the uber treble happy and bass-lite SRH940s.

Quote:
My Setup Audio GD NFB-2 , C2.1 ss (head amp) . Working very well for me with DT-880 600Ω , i see many praising OTL tubes amp but , what would it bring ? more warmth , roled off highs ? more bass impact to shadow mediums ? if it's that No Thanks . I think i like bright cans
tongue_smile.gif
and not too much bass impact (peraphs used to K702 sound) .

I know that there is great OTL tube that are not warm or don't roll off highs , but the very few otl tubes that i tryed on friends house never convinced me ...

In a nutshell an OTL tube amp will make or break the headphone, I haven't heard a DT880 on a solid-state that I like, not even a warm one like the PS Audio GCHA. I would also take a DT880/OTL tube amp over a T1/A1, that I auditioned and was set to buy some months back.

Do not underestimate the power of amp synergy.

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #1,489 of 12,546

Quote:

In a nutshell an OTL tube amp will make or break the headphone, I haven't heard a DT880 on a solid-state that I like, not even a warm one like the PS Audio GCHA. I would also take a DT880/OTL tube amp over a T1/A1, that I auditioned and was set to buy some months back.

Do not underestimate the power of amp synergy.

I don't like at all My K702 on OTL tube amp tryed it on a LD MK3 and a Doge 6210 , currently i am really enjoying my DT-880 600 on my SS amp , peraphs even more than my K702 but i still like my K702 , and for now i can't afford to buy a OTL tube amp just for my DT-880 600 , amp synergy yes but it's aslo personnal tastes , i prefer Dryer bass , edgy highs ,  a decent amout of medium and i am not found of a warm sounding . 

My SS is working well with my DT-880 and my K702 , actually i don't feel the need to buy a otl tube at all . Would it bring me more details , clarity ? i don't think soo , it will bring me i think a more bodied sound , more bass impact and tamed highs and peraphs a warmer sound (depending on the amp , and tubes , some tube amps are not warm ) . 

Peraphs i should try my DT-880 on a tube amp and will try if i can but i am not excepting too much about that ... But if it's better i will change my opinion on that no problem ^^ . 

Many will prefer DT-880 600Ω on a Otl tube amp , but a minority can prefer it on a SS amp i think
tongue_smile.gif
 , will  try  otl tube with DT-880 when possible
wink_face.gif
 but not a priority for me .

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #1,490 of 12,546
I've been considering the DT880-600 for quite a while now, and it seems every time I research a headphone I'm looking for I come down to this one again and again (based entirely on textual descriptions of course because I've not seen any meets or anything where I can try these). I might get these as an early christmas gift for myself if I can confirm they're what I'm looking for.

Basically what I'm hoping for is an open backed headphone that hopefully has the amazingly crisp and detailed highs and mids of the SRH940. Better bass than the SRH940 would be appreciated as well, since I'm a bit spoiled from my HD650's bass.

Does anyone here have experience with the DT880 versus the 940? Or if not, how would you describe the sound quality compared to HD650s across the various frequencies? Of if not the HD650, how would you explain the coloration in general? :)

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #1,491 of 12,546

Quote:
I've been considering the DT880-600 for quite a while now, and it seems every time I research a headphone I'm looking for I come down to this one again and again (based entirely on textual descriptions of course because I've not seen any meets or anything where I can try these). I might get these as an early christmas gift for myself if I can confirm they're what I'm looking for.

Basically what I'm hoping for is an open backed headphone that hopefully has the amazingly crisp and detailed highs and mids of the SRH940. Better bass than the SRH940 would be appreciated as well, since I'm a bit spoiled from my HD650's bass.

Does anyone here have experience with the DT880 versus the 940? Or if not, how would you describe the sound quality compared to HD650s across the various frequencies? Of if not the HD650, how would you explain the coloration in general? :)

I asked the same a few posts back. Alas, it seems the DT880 fits both of us better my friend.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #1,492 of 12,546
Quote:
Peraphs i should try my DT-880 on a tube amp and will try if i can but i am not excepting too much about that ... But if it's better i will change my opinion on that no problem ^^ . 

Many will prefer DT-880 600Ω on a Otl tube amp , but a minority can prefer it on a SS amp i think
tongue_smile.gif
 , will  try  otl tube with DT-880 when possible
wink_face.gif
 but not a priority for me .

A good tube amp will take the clarity up a notch, noticeably by increasing the midrange contrast without any perceptible side effects. It is in my opinion paramount for a headphone of this nature.

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #1,493 of 12,546
I have my 880 600's powered by a Darkvoice 336i and love the combination. No rolloff in the highs or lows typical of "tube amp" sound. The tubes used will however affect the output. But with the right combination, heaven is not far away
wink_face.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #1,494 of 12,546
Quote:
I have my 880 600's powered by a Darkvoice 336i and love the combination. No rolloff in the highs or lows typical of "tube amp" sound. The tubes used will however affect the output. But with the right combination, heaven is not far away
wink_face.gif

With the right tubes for the job I'm adamant the 336i cannot be beaten, happy to see another 336i use. 
smile.gif

I enjoy this combination so much I preferred it over a T1/A1 I auditioned recently, that for me at least really puts this budget duo right up there with the best.

Edit: BTW what tubes do you use?

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #1,495 of 12,546

Quote:
A good tube amp will take the clarity up a notch, noticeably by increasing the midrange contrast without any perceptible side effects. It is in my opinion paramount for a headphone of this nature.

I understand clearly what you mean but i am not ready to spent money on a Tube Amp if i had enough i would think in something like :" hum returning DT-880 , not buying a tube amp , and buy a pair of can wich match well with my SS amp like some AT's ? 
tongue_smile.gif
"

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #1,497 of 12,546
With all this stuff about tube amps, does anyone like the DT880 with high quality flat neutral solid state?

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #1,498 of 12,546

Quote:
Can anybody recommend somewhere to get my DT880/600 recabled for balanced operation?

Zombie_X does great work on recabling DT880's. He uses DoubleHelix cables.

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #1,499 of 12,546

Quote:

Continental US i could ask him if he could send it to europe but i allready spend enough cashfor my DT-880 , can't afford now for a tube amp , but thanks for the suggestion .I still think that my C2.1 don't put shame on DT -880 
tongue_smile.gif
.  Well i will try to have a opportunity to try a otl tube amp without spending money first ^^ . 

Quote:
With all this stuff about tube amps, does anyone like the DT880 with high quality flat neutral solid state?

Well i am happy with my DT-880 on my Audio GD C2.1 wich output 165 mv on 600 ohms ( a bit more than A1 Beyer , but less than otl tubes ) . On my C2.1 DT-880 600Ω sound a bit similar to K702 . 

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #1,500 of 12,546

Quote:
With the right tubes for the job I'm adamant the 336i cannot be beaten, happy to see another 336i use. 
smile.gif

I enjoy this combination so much I preferred it over a T1/A1 I auditioned recently, that for me at least really puts this budget duo right up there with the best.

Edit: BTW what tubes do you use?

I've rolled quite a few different tubes into this "budget" amp. To the point where I've spent quite a bit more on tubes that the amp itself. Oh well, that's the fun of it guess. I've tried Tung Sol and RCA 6as7g's, Tung Sol 5998, RCA, Sylvania, Tung Sol, National Union, Raytheon 6sn7's, and Sylvania and Raytheon VT231's. My favorite right now I'm using is the Tung Sol 7236 and the Raytheon VT231 with flat plates and support rods. Very nice, rich, extended sound without sounding either dull or bright and very nice bass extension. I also very much like the Sylvania "Bad Boy" from '52, but for me, in the mood I'm in now, the Raytheon slightly edges it out. This is the only amp I've tried with the Beyers. I've had the phones for only a few months, but I've logged a few hundred hours and I thought the sound smoothed out a bit with about a hundred hours or so of break in. I really like these phones. Very revealing, but I definitely do not find them bright at all. I could listen all day with these phones. If only my family would let me! 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back