The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 3, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #9,601 of 12,546
Hmmm, when I listen to my T90 with my crack (tube amp) it makes me want to move - literally. Not just toe tap. I know that tubes introduce some harmonic distortions that many people feel are pleasant and give the music that fuzzy warmth and lushness that fills you with emotions and Lo and behold - makes it more "real", less clinical/cold. However I suppose your solid state does the same for you, but saying that people who use tubes are listening to their gear vs the music is wrong. Whatever creates an emotion from the music is what we want to enjoy. Since everyone is different, one person prefers the tubey sound and others the solid state. Though some solid states sound pretty tubey and vice Versace. Both are colored in different ways, as are the headphones. And the mix used in the recording, the various equalizers in the studio and many other things.

Cheers,
K

The original point was someone(who will remain nameless
biggrin.gif
) stated "The 600 Ohm version works better with a tube amp, in general."
My point was this an opinion not a fact.I stand by this.

Also as a side note IMO, many people buy tube amps because they are hyped without supporting fact in threads like these.
Don`t get me wrong though, I understand the charm of tubes and much of the fine gear made with them.

I also prefer gear that sounds exactly the same every time I listen to it.Tubes, are alive with change...

beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #9,603 of 12,546
Meanwhile, these cans are working beautifully for me.
Instead of using the LPF, I just cut the highs a bit and kept using them for a while, just as pp312 said.
This afternoon, I tried to use the old AKG K81 DJs again direct into the M-Audio soundcard, just for the sake of it.
HOLY S***, how could I listen to music like that until a couple of days ago?!
Massive difference, just like glancing through a lock vs. opening the door and l looking at what's actually there.

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #9,604 of 12,546
Meanwhile, these cans are working beautifully for me.
Instead of using the LPF, I just cut the highs a bit and kept using them for a while, just as pp312 said.
This afternoon, I tried to use the old AKG K81 DJs again direct into the M-Audio soundcard, just for the sake of it.
HOLY S***, how could I listen to music like that until a couple of days ago?!
Massive difference, just like glancing through a lock vs. opening the door and l looking at what's actually there.

Wrong tool for the wrong job - an LPF certainly has a multitude of uses within the production environment, but it has limited use as far as listening to music is concerned. For starters using an LPF to knock out a bright treble will actually rob you of all the other high frequencies which give the music air.

You're far better off using a parametric EQ and just creating a notch at around 8Khz (I think that's the problem frequency with the 880s) and lowering it by about -3db to -6db (or to taste). This will leave the higher frequencies alone and will have minimal impact on the air that's so enjoyable with music.

Before any purists come along and say that EQing is bad, just consider that the vast majority of CDs, or downloads (hi-res, normal, or compressed) will already have had the crap processed out of them during the mixing and mastering stages anyway, so adding a bit of EQ to taste really isn't going to rob you of any fidelity.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #9,605 of 12,546
I've bought a used pair of 880 250 Ohm version and listened to them for a couple of hours every night for 2 weeks now.  My personal impression is that the sound is just too bright for my taste.  They are even brighter than my Q701.  Maybe I do need a tube amp.

Jan 4, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #9,606 of 12,546
I've got a pair of 600 ohm I bought over the weekend coming. Before I got my t1's that's all I heard is that they are to bright. They are some of the most well balanced fun phones to listen to. That's with all of my tube amps and my violectric ss amp. reviews on these 880's have all been pretty positive so I figured what the heck. I really enjoy the beyerdynamic sound. Think I'll enjoy these

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #9,607 of 12,546
I've got a pair of 600 ohm I bought over the weekend coming. Before I got my t1's that's all I heard is that they are to bright. They are some of the most well balanced fun phones to listen to. That's with all of my tube amps and my violectric ss amp. reviews on these 880's have all been pretty positive so I figured what the heck. I really enjoy the beyerdynamic sound. Think I'll enjoy these

Man, you have T1's. What could the 880s bring that the T1's already don't? Apologies for my naïveté but I am curious.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #9,608 of 12,546

Man, you have T1's. What could the 880s bring that the T1's already don't? Apologies for my naïveté but I am curious.

I'm curious too.  I've heard the T1 gen 1 and owned the DT 880 Pro for quite some time (and heard the 600 Ohm edition as well).  To me the T1 does everything significantly better than the DT 880.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #9,609 of 12,546
  I've bought a used pair of 880 250 Ohm version and listened to them for a couple of hours every night for 2 weeks now.  My personal impression is that the sound is just too bright for my taste.  They are even brighter than my Q701.  Maybe I do need a tube amp.

Recordings play a very important role.
The AKGs are more forward in the upper-midrange while the Beyer is brighter around 8.5kHz.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #9,610 of 12,546
T1's are my first pair by beyerdynamic and I really enjoy that sound. I've also got a pair of hd800's, 650's, 600's, and the he560's. I like to swap and I enjoy each and everyone of them. If I enjoy the 880's I'll add them to the collection.

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #9,611 of 12,546

I have my T90 on vintage amps and I like the sound a lot. So much so that I moved the BH Crack into my office and use my old sansui amps at home. The sound from these amps is VERY tube like. So you get something special for sure.

Cheers,
K

+1 for the VINTAGE AMPS i put away the rest of my rig as soon as i heard my PIONEER SX3700 with all my Headphones.Now  i got a bunch of Dust collector/paper weight.
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #9,614 of 12,546

Yes and I use the 600 ohm version with a solid state amp.
My opinion means nothing I just prefer the generally more consistent tone and reliability of solid state amplification.

The whole idea that tubes are somehow magically "better" is just not true.
"Better" how?? Most people seem to enjoy the warmer character many tube amps provide and that`s fine but it`s their opinion and not at all relevant to the adequacy of power.
I am more interested in a clean and neutral sound. I like to listen to music not my gear. Tubes require more maintenance, are generally more expensive and often color the sound. 

With guitar amps I generally prefer tubes though because of the tone they provide. When listening to recorded music I often prefer to hear the tone of the recording as opposed to my gear.

I'll make this easy

tubes can get noisy, a 600 Ohm headphone will because of it's resitance block out some of this "noise"  quite literally 

an honestly, for the money I REALLY  liked how the DT 880 sounded with teh First Gen Schiit Vali, yes it "colourd" the sound. But the DT 880 mid section was a tad over recessed imo, the color the Vali adds brings it back to a true neutral imo

That said, I enjoyed my balanced Solid State more than the Vali but were talking $600 vs $100, so if you want a very clean sound at a low cost, I think going with an intro Schiit Stack, Magni 2 Uber an maybe the Orignal Vali with a 600 Ohm DT 880 [which is expensive] or get the 250 ohm an take that extra cash savings an buy a Garage 1217 Starlight II, the Starlights a Hybrid tube an WHOA it's pretty BLACK given the 12UA7 ECC 82 tube it's running atm 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back