The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 26, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #9,587 of 12,546
Hello guys, thinking about buying these headphones, just thinking about the 250 vs 600 Ohm thing, especially considering what I'm going to pair them with.
The amplifier I'm going to use is an old old Luxman L 114-A. It was my father's, so it's free.
I'm just trying to figure out what's the output impedance of this amp from the phone out. I've found these schematics online, and I would be VERY thankful if anybody could enligthen me about this.
You can see them here: 

I know nothing about this stuff, BUT what I'm seeing is two 330 Ohm resistors in parallel (this would give 165 Ohm total resistance) right before the Phone out. Am I right?
If that's the case, this would be fairly high and to observe the famous "1/8 rule" I should choose the 600 Ohm version of the beyers for sure (and even then, that would not be perfectly adequate) . That's my thinking after some reading online, but really I'm new to this so please correct me.
OTOH, the amp should have plenty of power to drive them, and it has some interesting EQ options onboard that I suspect could mitigate some of the DT 880's treble happy nature. (the Luxman itself is reported to have quite a warm sound signature anyway)

Dec 26, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #9,589 of 12,546

There were no bass and highs were too much for me at first listen but now after a month i can't listen to anything else around me! they all sound wrong in comparison. im addicted to its accuracy,balance,soundstage,speed and details.i bought it blindly and im happy for it because if i had chance to demo before buy the early sound signature wasnt for me at all but now it is my favorite reference and nirvana after a long working day.
Big thanks to Me x3 for guidance

Cheers

that was my experince to honestly, they sounded to bright an bass light

how ever within 3 weeks they were my favorite headphone

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #9,591 of 12,546
  There are no tubes whatsoever in it, I'm afraid! 

popcorn.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #9,592 of 12,546
Hello guys, thinking about buying these headphones, just thinking about the 250 vs 600 Ohm thing, especially considering what I'm going to pair them with.
The amplifier I'm going to use is an old old Luxman L 114-A. It was my father's, so it's free.
I'm just trying to figure out what's the output impedance of this amp from the phone out. I've found these schematics online, and I would be VERY thankful if anybody could enligthen me about this.
You can see them here: 

I know nothing about this stuff, BUT what I'm seeing is two 330 Ohm resistors in parallel (this would give 165 Ohm total resistance) right before the Phone out. Am I right?
If that's the case, this would be fairly high and to observe the famous "1/8 rule" I should choose the 600 Ohm version of the beyers for sure (and even then, that would not be perfectly adequate) . That's my thinking after some reading online, but really I'm new to this so please correct me.
OTOH, the amp should have plenty of power to drive them, and it has some interesting EQ options onboard that I suspect could mitigate some of the DT 880's treble happy nature. (the Luxman itself is reported to have quite a warm sound signature anyway)

Most of these vintage amps are made for high impedance headphones as that was the norm back then. You will be fine with the 600 Ohm version. The 1/8th rule deeds on a couple of factors, and is just a general rule. It depends on the headphones if they really have issues with the damping factor or not.

I have my T90 on vintage amps and I like the sound a lot. So much so that I moved the BH Crack into my office and use my old sansui amps at home. The sound from these amps is VERY tube like. So you get something special for sure.

Cheers,
K

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #9,593 of 12,546
So, the headphones arrived 2 days ago. It's the Premium 600 Ohm version.

They sound great, especially with the Luxman as Koolpep anticipated. It brings some warmth and thickness to the overall sound signature. The difference is quite apparent.
Mind you, I'm not an audiophile by all means. I just enjoy listening to (and playing) music. 
Compared to modded AKG K81 DJs:
- There's actually a soundstage now, MUCH better instrument separation, you can exactly hear what's going on everytime. Bass guitar (lower registers especially) and vocals are much more forward now. Globally, there's a more "3D" presentation.
- Better, more linear bass extension
- When equalized in, these cans can bring more bass quantity as well. I didn't find them particularly bass light to be honest, even though the amplifier may have something to do with it
- I can't bear listening to mediocre quality MP3s anymore. Still can't tell the difference between a 320kbps MP3 and a lossless format though, but my ears are to blame for that I'm sure (?)

There's STILL some sibilance on certain songs. I've used them just for a few hours, so it could change a bit but I'm not expecting a night and day difference.
So, I tried to engage the High Cut on the Luxman. It's a LPF basically (-6 dB/octave) and it seems to be made JUST to tame the shrillness of these cans. No more sibilance, no more hiss whatsoever.
BUT, I've found the overall timbre to be less engaging as well, the clarity of this pair set flat is truly addicting and I've yet to decide what kind of settings to adopt. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #9,594 of 12,546
Enjoy @ale29!! I have heard on more than few occasions that the 880s are underpriced by 200-300 margin. And this is a very affordable option for any music lover who wants to get more than the bang for their buck.

Paired with a tube amp, I have experienced tightening of the bass (if ever so slightly) after ~50ish hours. 

They are a keeper :)

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #9,597 of 12,546

So, I tried to engage the High Cut on the Luxman. It's a LPF basically (-6 dB/octave) and it seems to be made JUST to tame the shrillness of these cans. No more sibilance, no more hiss whatsoever.
BUT, I've found the overall timbre to be less engaging as well, the clarity of this pair set flat is truly addicting and I've yet to decide what kind of settings to adopt. 

Yes, this is a common problem. Set everything to flat and you feel you've lost the special magic these cans provide. I think the least you do to them the better. Cut the treble less than you think you need to. You'll be surprised how quickly you get used to a little extra sparkle.

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #9,598 of 12,546
  He meant the 600 Ohm vs. the 250 version.

But what in your opinion is the difference then between tube and solid state amps?

Yes and I use the 600 ohm version with a solid state amp.
My opinion means nothing I just prefer the generally more consistent tone and reliability of solid state amplification.

The whole idea that tubes are somehow magically "better" is just not true.
"Better" how?? Most people seem to enjoy the warmer character many tube amps provide and that`s fine but it`s their opinion and not at all relevant to the adequacy of power.
I am more interested in a clean and neutral sound. I like to listen to music not my gear. Tubes require more maintenance, are generally more expensive and often color the sound. 

With guitar amps I generally prefer tubes though because of the tone they provide. When listening to recorded music I often prefer to hear the tone of the recording as opposed to my gear.

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #9,599 of 12,546
Yes and I use the 600 ohm version with a solid state amp.
My opinion means nothing I just prefer the generally more consistent tone and reliability of solid state amplification.

The whole idea that tubes are somehow magically "better" is just not true.
"Better" how?? Most people seem to enjoy the warmer character many tube amps provide and that`s fine but it`s their opinion and not at all relevant to the adequacy of power.
I am more interested in a clean and neutral sound. I like to listen to music not my gear. Tubes require more maintenance, are generally more expensive and often color the sound. 

With guitar amps I generally prefer tubes though because of the tone they provide. When listening to recorded music I often prefer to hear the tone of the recording as opposed to my gear.

Hmmm, when I listen to my T90 with my crack (tube amp) it makes me want to move - literally. Not just toe tap. I know that tubes introduce some harmonic distortions that many people feel are pleasant and give the music that fuzzy warmth and lushness that fills you with emotions and Lo and behold - makes it more "real", less clinical/cold. However I suppose your solid state does the same for you, but saying that people who use tubes are listening to their gear vs the music is wrong. Whatever creates an emotion from the music is what we want to enjoy. Since everyone is different, one person prefers the tubey sound and others the solid state. Though some solid states sound pretty tubey and vice Versace. Both are colored in different ways, as are the headphones. And the mix used in the recording, the various equalizers in the studio and many other things.

Cheers,
K

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #9,600 of 12,546
Hmmm, when I listen to my T90 with my crack (tube amp) it makes me want to move - literally. Not just toe tap. I know that tubes introduce some harmonic distortions that many people feel are pleasant and give the music that fuzzy warmth and lushness that fills you with emotions and Lo and behold - makes it more "real", less clinical/cold. However I suppose your solid state does the same for you, but saying that people who use tubes are listening to their gear vs the music is wrong. Whatever creates an emotion from the music is what we want to enjoy. Since everyone is different, one person prefers the tubey sound and others the solid state. Though some solid states sound pretty tubey and vice Versace. Both are colored in different ways, as are the headphones. And the mix used in the recording, the various equalizers in the studio and many other things.

Cheers,
K

For the most part, I agree with you.

Two people at a music concert. 
One of them is in third row, the other is 15 rows back. 

Tonal balance won't be the same for them, that's for sure, but both will listen to real music just fine.
You won't find them wondering who listened to the right version and who listened to the coloured concert.

Objectivism is fair and very useful, but we can't take it that far (IMO)

There's huge variance within recordings in terms of tonal balance. 
(Headphone response aside) Claiming that one always prefer perfectly flat response and minimum distortion, is pretty much the same as saying one always like the same as the guy who master the recording (and apply it to all mastering guys in history!!)

The (perfectly flat) argument is fair enough when it comes to critical listening/reviewing recordings/mastering...
But it's not so consistent when we talk about music enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back