The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 20, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #8,836 of 12,546
But who are the first and second? 

Let me guess:
One or two could be TDockweiler, he often posts in the AKG Q701 thread. :p

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #8,837 of 12,546
  Nope, have to disagree there. As a classical listener (and full symphonic stuff is the hardest to get right), I would say the 880 is one of the great bargains, capable of some truly jaw-dropping moments with a half decent recording.

what headphones in their price range that has quick, snappy, and accurate bass?
v-moda m100? mdr-1r? mdr-1a? m50x?

If you'll notice, I said that they were average in most areas and that they were good general purpose headphones.  Which they are.  Look elsewhere and you'll find headphones that have better mids, better highs or better bass but that might also be worse in a particular area.  Start going up in price and they start falling behind too.  I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying these, because for the price they are great as an all rounder.  They just won't be winning awards for their bass response when comparing them to many other headphones.  For the price they are "good" with bass, but they are just average or below average compared to many when you aren't talking about price.  I'm also not talking about "bass-head" headphones either.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #8,838 of 12,546
Have to disagree even with your qualifier. The bass measures well and sounds to me just right. I would not want more or less, tighter or flabbier. To my ears the bass never draws attention to itself, which is exactly what I want.

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #8,839 of 12,546
FWIW, I've yet to hear my DT880/600 sound sibilant. I'd suggest that it was something in the signal chain that promoted that quality: the amp, or the DAC, or the source material.

I've tried Beyer's pleather pads with DT880/600 and with DT990pro. The results were similar in both cases: gobs of relatively ill-defined bass - essentially, turned the cans into bass cannons - cloudy, veiled mids, and rolled-off highs. Zero sparkle. A very different animal than the grey velour. Hated it.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #8,840 of 12,546
FWIW, I've yet to hear my DT880/600 sound sibilant.

Agreed! They're liquid smooth, but I traded for an IE8 which has pretty much the same qualities as the dt880, just an IEM (Don't really like headphones)

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #8,841 of 12,546
FWIW, I've yet to hear my DT880/600 sound sibilant. I'd suggest that it was something in the signal chain that promoted that quality: the amp, or the DAC, or the source material.

I've tried Beyer's pleather pads with DT880/600 and with DT990pro. The results were similar in both cases: gobs of relatively ill-defined bass - essentially, turned the cans into bass cannons - cloudy, veiled mids, and rolled-off highs. Zero sparkle. A very different animal than the grey velour. Hated it.

+1 My Dt 880 600 ohm cans have never sounded sibilant. Although my Alpha Dogs would have a touch of sibilance. My Alpha Prime's have never sounded sibilant.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #8,842 of 12,546
+1 My Dt 880 600 ohm cans have never sounded sibilant. Although my Alpha Dogs would have a touch of sibilance. My Alpha Prime's have never sounded sibilant.

Mine actually sounded pretty terrible and anemic prior to buying a Lyr to power them.  No idea what your setup is, but the only times they sound somewhat sibilant to me would be occasionally on cymbal crashes, but not often.  But they don't come close to the sibilance that the Ultrasone Pro 900s do.

My 880s are also the 600 ohm version, and they are definitely more "airy" than the Alpha Dogs, but that's the nature of open, or semi-open headphones, even though the ADs sound incredibly open for a closed headphone.  The 800s aren't as defined though for critical listening, but they also don't cost the same and are easier to power to get a decent sound out of them.

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #8,843 of 12,546

I never heard it either!

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #8,845 of 12,546
When i just got my DT880/600R Prem. i used BravoAudio Ocean to drived it sounded light but once i driven it with the Littledot MK III it start to shine and now being driven by Bottlehead CRACK it sounds amazing at least to my ears.
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #8,847 of 12,546
Does anyone heard DT880 250 ohms out of Beyerdynamic A200p?

I listened to this setup yesterday and it was extremely artificial-sounding and thin but super-clear. I don't know if it was A200p fault or its the way DT880 sounds.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #8,848 of 12,546

I listened to this setup yesterday and it was extremely artificial-sounding and thin but super-clear. I don't know if it was A200p fault or its the way DT880 sounds.

That sounds a lot like how people who don't like the DT880 at all describe its sound. Of course you're in the appreciation thread, so you'll get a lot of responses from people swearing it must be the amp, but I've read the thin-and-clear description even from people using well-known and respected gear. The DT880 isn't for everyone, and if it's not your preferred sound, that's perfectly all right. This hobby is all about finding the right sound, and there are lots of different preferences and lots of different headphones to suit them.

If you get a chance at a later date and with a different amp, certainly do give the DT880 another listen. Then you'll know for sure if it's the Beyer amp or the headphone itself you don't like.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #8,849 of 12,546

That sounds a lot like how people who don't like the DT880 at all describe its sound. Of course you're in the appreciation thread, so you'll get a lot of responses from people swearing it must be the amp, but I've read the thin-and-clear description even from people using well-known and respected gear. The DT880 isn't for everyone, and if it's not your preferred sound, that's perfectly all right. This hobby is all about finding the right sound, and there are lots of different preferences and lots of different headphones to suit them.

If you get a chance at a later date and with a different amp, certainly do give the DT880 another listen. Then you'll know for sure if it's the Beyer amp or the headphone itself you don't like.

I found it really warm and 'real' sounding. Don't know about the OP.

Mar 22, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #8,850 of 12,546
I'd prefer something beefier that plugs into a wall to power my DT880. I think that is why you are hearing "thin" or maybe it is still not burned in because I thought they sounded bad out of the box. They definitely don't lack body but at the same time they don't have the midrange body of the more expensive planars, or the subterranean bass of the LCD-2F/Alpha Dog, or the... well I will admit they have nice treble although with a little bit of sparkle/emphasis. Still though they are a jack of all trades and a close-to-neutral can for under $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back