The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Mar 22, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #8,851 of 12,546

That sounds a lot like how people who don't like the DT880 at all describe its sound. Of course you're in the appreciation thread, so you'll get a lot of responses from people swearing it must be the amp, but I've read the thin-and-clear description even from people using well-known and respected gear. The DT880 isn't for everyone, and if it's not your preferred sound, that's perfectly all right. This hobby is all about finding the right sound, and there are lots of different preferences and lots of different headphones to suit them.

If you get a chance at a later date and with a different amp, certainly do give the DT880 another listen. Then you'll know for sure if it's the Beyer amp or the headphone itself you don't like.

I would say this is close to the mark.  But I also said in an earlier post that I changed my ear pads to a much more solid and less leaky lambskin pad.  This didn't suddenly give them an entirely different sound signature, but it did make them a lot fuller sounding compared to using the velor pads, and the bass was more present.  They sound the same when switching between the pads on either the Essence STX or my Lyr.  Both of which are plenty strong enough to power the 600 ohm version.

I'd prefer something beefier that plugs into a wall to power my DT880. I think that is why you are hearing "thin" or maybe it is still not burned in because I thought they sounded bad out of the box. They definitely don't lack body but at the same time they don't have the midrange body of the more expensive planars, or the subterranean bass of the LCD-2F/Alpha Dog, or the... well I will admit they have nice treble although with a little bit of sparkle/emphasis. Still though they are a jack of all trades and a close-to-neutral can for under $300.

I still do not believe this is anyting other than placebo.  Especially after being told by countless posters on the Ultrasone 900s thread that they required "400 hours" of burn in before they start to shine.  Yeah right, even after 500, they produced the same awful sound as when I first listened to them.  If there's any kind of "burn in" happening, it's you getting used to the sound.  My ADs do not sound any different after a 1000 hours than when I first listened to them.

http://www.tested.com/tech/accessories/459117-science-and-myth-burning-headphones/

If someone really does not like the sound they are getting out of the box on a setup that can power them decently, it would probably be wise to get a refund before thirty days (or however long the return policy is) instead of wasting time using pink/white noise or whatever voodoo that's supposed to work to change them.  Even if there are measurable differences, they are so slight that it won't make you suddenly like them.

I completely agree with your last statement though, although I haven't actually had dozens of headphones to listen to among the same price range.  I don't feel like I wasted my money with them, and I purchased them when they were around $100 more...on top of another $80 for the pads.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #8,852 of 12,546
Thanks Argyris, Allucid, wahsmoh & Sanctuary.

I heard DT880, DT770, DT990 (all of them 250 Ohms version & out of A200p) & DT880 sounded really weird and thin. Maybe it wasn't burned-in, or maybe A200p hadn't enough power (the seller claimed so) or maybe it was a defective unit. I don't know really. But, as I've said earlier, I really liked its astonishing resolution and I wish it sound much closer & fuller out of something else like Schiit Vali. I should try it again in the future.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #8,853 of 12,546

I heard DT880, DT770, DT990 (all of them 250 Ohms version & out of A200p) & DT880 sounded really weird and thin. Maybe it wasn't burned-in, or maybe A200p hadn't enough power (the seller claimed so) or maybe it was a defective unit. I don't know really. But, as I've said earlier, I really liked its astonishing resolution and I wish it sound much closer & fuller out of something else like Schiit Vali. I should try it again in the future.

get a decent tube amps. maybe not vali. i really don't think vali will make the dt880 as thick as you would expect.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #8,854 of 12,546

The DT880 is the odd one out in that set. Both the DT770 and DT990 have more bass and have sonic profiles that are more similar to one another than to the DT880, which doesn't have any emphasis on bass or lower midrange. It just sounds like you prefer more body to your sound.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #8,855 of 12,546

get a decent tube amps. maybe not vali. i really don't think vali will make the dt880 as thick as you would expect.

My favourite amp for my 600 Ohm DT880 was my La Figaro 336C OTL vacuum tube amp. :D
In my opinion, it added some much needed warmth to the DT880, especially the midrange.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #8,856 of 12,546
My favourite amp for my 600 Ohm DT880 was my La Figaro 336C OTL vacuum tube amp. :D
In my opinion, it added some much needed warmth to the DT880, especially the midrange.

Thanks for the heads up. I will look that amp up. I have DT 880 600 ohm cans also and would like to get the best tube for it. I might just rewire my 880's for balanced, and use my rag. However I do appreciate tube sound.

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #8,857 of 12,546
I use a Little Dot MKIII with Voskhod driver tubes with my DT880's & HD600. Sounds fantastic with those Russian tubes!

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #8,858 of 12,546
I use a Little Dot MKIII with Voskhod driver tubes with my DT880's & HD600. Sounds fantastic with those Russian tubes!

I do, as well. It's a nice match.

This being said, I mostly prefer my DT880/600 paired with a Vio V200, or a Meier Concerto for a little more sparkle.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #8,859 of 12,546
Thanks for the heads up. I will look that amp up. I have DT 880 600 ohm cans also and would like to get the best tube for it. I might just rewire my 880's for balanced, and use my rag. However I do appreciate tube sound.

Warning:
Tube amps can lead to compulsive tube rolling!
Obviously you've seen the other thread members with tube amps commenting that the brand X tube amp sounds better with the brand Y vintage tubes, etc.
I will admit that I did experiment with tube rolling and did settle on some favourite vintage tubes for my tube headphone amp.:rolleyes:
Of course I may have spent more than I wanted too.....

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #8,860 of 12,546
For the very brief time I had listening to a friend's on an O2, I really appreciated the DT880s airiness and sparkle. Would love to actually pick one up one of these days.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #8,862 of 12,546
Have you ever compared this amp to the Crack?

No, sorry, I've never heard the Crack.

BTW, I once heard the DT880 from the headphone jack of an Audiolab M-DAC. It sounded incredible!

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #8,864 of 12,546
I'm actually surprised how the valhalla 2 is not that loud!? I can turn it all the way up 100% and not hurt my ears. And to be honest it's really not that much louder vs my iPhone 5 alone. Should I switch to the lyr? I'm using dt880s by the way.

I was just expecting a little more headroom... Anyone else?

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #8,865 of 12,546
I'm actually surprised how the valhalla 2 is not that loud!? I can turn it all the way up 100% and not hurt my ears. And to be honest it's really not that much louder vs my iPhone 5 alone. Should I switch to the lyr? I'm using dt880s by the way.

I was just expecting a little more headroom... Anyone else?

Valhalla 2 should have enough power to break the DT880.

What's your source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back