The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Sep 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #4,487 of 12,548
  The Pearstone velours work great as well...
biggrin.gif

The post was all in humor... 
biggrin.gif

Yeah mine are really comfy actually with the velours and I don't have any extra headband padding. Its great for the price but no... it is no DT880. :D

beerchug.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #4,488 of 12,548
  They look sexy without the stock cable 
tongue.gif

You're like the Chuck Norris of photography.

Ask here >>> http://www.head-fi.org/t/256063/post-your-photography-here-2-new-dial-up-800x600-friendly/11280
They look like they know their stuff :D

I'm against the stock cable the DT880 has as well. I think if Beyer gave the DT880 a cooler looking cable like the HD650 rather than a single-ended people would go flock to it. I enjoy these detail monsters a lot. Much more than the HD650s I tried out

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #4,489 of 12,548
I'm not sure very many people avoid the DT880 just because it doesn't have a dual-entry cable. Outside of Head-Fi (and perhaps other enthusiast sites), in fact, I don't think very many people care about cables period.

The DT880 has been around forever and is a known quantity. It's the bright, energetic, airy, detailed one with tight, linear bass. We've reached the stage in its lifespan where very few people will try one without knowing exactly what to expect. Making them dual-entry isn't going to suddenly make people buy something whose fundamental sound profile doesn't interest them.

Tastes have been slowly moving away from the DT880's approach and toward warmth and midrange prominence, which is likely a result of the sudden influx of new listeners who are used to overly warm and bassy consumer-class equipment. A warmish neutral sound is less jarring to them and is more what they expect from hi-fi. The DT880's analytical, lean approach is the antithesis of this, and no cable or change in cable interface is ever going to change that.

In other words, I don't think there's much untapped market potential for the DT880. It seems to be selling steadily for Beyer despite its age, similar to the HD6x0 for Sennheiser, and I expect it to continue to do so. There isn't really anything directly comparable in value or sound signature.

What I wish they would do is make the cable detachable, or at least offer that as an option.* Careful though I am, it still manages to get tangled with other cords in my listening area, and I'd much rather detach it and try to untangle it in that state than have to make sure I'm not accidentally pulling on the strain relief and/or yanking the headphone itself onto the floor while trying to extricate the cable.

*C'mon, Beyer. We all know you love product variations. You could call it the DT880d and have a version of it for each impedance rating and for the Pro version as well, bringing the grand total up to eight operationally different versions of the DT880.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #4,490 of 12,548
Yep - would much prefer a detachable cable (although for me personally my preference is single sided).  Got to the stage that I did mine myself .....

And then (dummy that I am) - I sold them last week ....
The interesting thing will be how long before I buy them again .... for the third time 
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #4,491 of 12,548

What I wish they would do is make the cable detachable, or at least offer that as an option.* Careful though I am, it still manages to get tangled with other cords in my listening area, and I'd much rather detach it and try to untangle it in that state than have to make sure I'm not accidentally pulling on the strain relief and/or yanking the headphone itself onto the floor while trying to extricate the cable.

Get the Pro. Problem solved.
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #4,493 of 12,548
Sep 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #4,495 of 12,548
  Third owner? Sold after only two days? 

...Are they haunted?

No the owner is just an idiot, I asked about what the Mod improved and he simply replied "everything" I asked him 3 more times and all he said was everything, so I'm assuming he has no idea what has changed but just that he liked it more... and for what ever reason decided to sell it. Although Honestly it could be that it went from Lean airy and tight to very consumer sound friendly, from a sales point of view, if your target audiance is "consumer friendly" consumers than degradeing the sound would most likely be an "everything"
 improvement for that audiance 

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #4,496 of 12,548
شكرا لك أخي في الكويت

Did you ever get the parts to do your DT880 dual Tiny xlr mod?
You need to get yours done and make you know who really jelly... :D

Have you tried your WS55 pads on the S500's?

Haha, talking Arabic I see :) شكرًا لك أخي التنين

I actually did, I was all ready to go but when it came to the part where I cut the cable, I was like no, there's no way I'm doing that to my precious Beyers :D I assume it was much easier for you to do since you're an expert technician so you can basically get anything fixed if you screw up. If only someone here in Kuwait does this kind of stuff, they'd already be sent. It's VERY hard to get quality audio equipment here, you'll have to look in specific guitar stores and stores that sell studio equipment.

Yup, and I still prefer the stock pads. The WS55's were more comfortable but they were really confusing as my ears ALMOST fit inside but not really, so it was kind of a tiny over-ear I guess. Besides, there was less bass, and we don't want that do we :wink:

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #4,497 of 12,548
Haha, talking Arabic I see
smily_headphones1.gif
شكرًا لك أخي التنين

I actually did, I was all ready to go but when it came to the part where I cut the cable, I was like no, there's no way I'm doing that to my precious Beyers
biggrin.gif
I assume it was much easier for you to do since you're an expert technician so you can basically get anything fixed if you screw up. If only someone here in Kuwait does this kind of stuff, they'd already be sent. It's VERY hard to get quality audio equipment here, you'll have to look in specific guitar stores and stores that sell studio equipment.

Yup, and I still prefer the stock pads. The WS55's were more comfortable but they were really confusing as my ears ALMOST fit inside but not really, so it was kind of a tiny over-ear I guess. Besides, there was less bass, and we don't want that do we
wink.gif

YOU LIVE IN KUWAIT... you stink :[ I love food from that area q.q 

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #4,500 of 12,548
  So where are those beautiful beyers now? 

On my head

That picture was lame,

now behold my epic Beyers! In RAINBOW vision

Users who are viewing this thread

Back