The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jul 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #16 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since these are 600 ohm headphones, can you guys suggest a list of amps that have enough juice to synergize well with them? I'm considering these as my first can (along with K701/2 and Grado HF2). Figure it would be good info for the thread too.

Thanks!

Any good tube amp will drive them well, They really prefer tubes, its logical due to their 600ohm impedance.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #17 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since these are 600 ohm headphones, can you guys suggest a list of amps that have enough juice to synergize well with them?

the higher the impedance, the easier it is to drive...that's what amp manufacturers say anyway.
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They really prefer tubes, its logical due to their 600ohm impedance.

when? how? why? got any measurements/link to backup this statement? I believe you forgot "IMHO YMMV"
redface.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #19 of 12,546
Actually, there is a very good technical reason for GuyDebord's statement. Very simply states, many tube amps are very good as supplying voltage, which is what a 600 ohm headphone will want. Many SS amps are better at supplying current, which is what a low impedance can will want, but less good at supplying enough voltage for a 600 ohm can, although I have had good results with both.

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #20 of 12,546
I'm not quite an amp expert, but as long as you got something decent(not a mp3 player) a high impedance doesn't appear to be a problem...actually driving low impedance(like 32Ω or less) phones is far more complicated, coz you might very well end up w/ a saturated bass-shy sound
redface.gif

again I'm only repeating what amp manufacturers say, they never give a max impedance...always minimum.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #21 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not quite an amp expert, but as long as you got something decent(not a mp3 player) a high impedance doesn't appear to be a problem...actually driving low impedance(like 32Ω or less) phones is far more complicated, coz you might very well end up w/ a saturated bass-shy sound
redface.gif

again I'm only repeating what amp manufacturers say, they never give a max impedance...always minimum.

You got it all backwards! you should do some research before posting on technicalities, seriously!

I dont need to put IMHO for a technical "fact", tube amps have the capacity to deliver more voltage and therefore drive higher impedances with ease, compared to normal SS amps. Obviously there are always exceptions, my Lehmann and Solo SRG drives them well, but I still prefer my tube amps for the 600ohm Beyers, they sing in perfect relaxation, the music just flows....

There is no way you could drive a 600ohm headphone well with a portable amp, obviously a portable player is out of the question....

Next time before you shout on something you clearly dont know about, at least wiki,

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #22 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, there is a very good technical reason for GuyDebord's statement. Very simply states, many tube amps are very good as supplying voltage, which is what a 600 ohm headphone will want. Many SS amps are better at supplying current, which is what a low impedance can will want, but less good at supplying enough voltage for a 600 ohm can, although I have had good results with both.

Thanks Skylab!

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #23 of 12,546
Quote:

You got it all backwards! you should do some research before posting on technicalities, seriously!
[..]
you clearly dont know

oh ok, I see I'm dealing w/ an expert of the highest kind
biggrin.gif

where did I say that you could drive it w/ a portable amp
confused.gif

don't look, I never did..

all I said is that a SS amp can drive a 600ohmer just as well as tube...when making this kind of statements, it's usually better to add "IMHO YMMV"...because Skylab just confirmed that SS works just as fine as tube on his 600ohmers
rolleyes.gif

but yeah, I know, tube is money! and it's cool to sound patronizing on an internet forum...godverdomme
atsmile.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #24 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh ok, I see I'm dealing w/ an expert of the highest kind
biggrin.gif

No expert, just a bit informed
icon10.gif

cheers,

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #25 of 12,546
Just to be clear - *some* SS amps work fine with the 600 ohm Beyers - but I do think tube amps are a better choice, it it's a possibility for the user.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #27 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bredin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is maybe not the right thread for this, but would lavry da10 work good with the Beyers?

yes, it can power them, but still the limitations of the DA10 as a head amp apply x 1.5. most stationary SS amps can drive them, but again my recommendation is to go tube for this, the music magically flows and floats around your ears....

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #28 of 12,546
Quote:

yes, it can power them, but still the limitations of the DA10 as a head amp apply x 1.5.

What do you mean with x1.5? 1.5times louder, or 1.5times better?

Quote:

most stationary SS amps can drive them, but again my recommendation is to go tube for this, the music magically flows and floats around your ears....

I think that music is at is best when it is like a brick, solid and well-defiend.
ph34r.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #29 of 12,546
I'm actually liking my 600Ohm DT880's paired with the X-CanV8P very much. Hopefully my amp is doing them some justice..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back