The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 26, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #211 of 12,546
It is better David.M, and your opinion is your own. I feel that they do sound better and are a worthy $20 improvement.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #213 of 12,546
I noticed that my comment sounded rude, so don't take it as me trying to be rude.

Jan 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #214 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you most likely bought the 250 ohm version. Which is still very solid and excellent.

apparently, head-fi has a vendetta with the 250 ohm versions and mostly the 600 ohm is the typical preferred choice.

i [size=xx-large]REFUSE[/size] to believe the 600ohm is significantly better than 250ohm, other than the fact that is sounds better on higher quality amps.

got that Andrew_Wot? got that Chinesewiki? got that Zombie_X?

k
smily_headphones1.gif

You refuse to believe, simply because you have not actually heard the 600 ohm versions. I owned the 250 ohm versions when I first got the 600 ohm ones, and compared them side by side. The 600 ohm versions are better. There is no doubt.

So refuse to believe all you want, but until you compare for yourself, you will never actually know
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #215 of 12,546
I'm a real hardcore sceptic (cables, amps, codecs, forms of government), but my buddie's new 600 ohm systems are at least a lot faster than the old 250 ohm systems.

Consequently ordered an own pair of exchange systems last friday...

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #216 of 12,546
[size=xx-small]250-ohms vs. 600-ohms[/size]

It is perfectly logical that such vast impedance & voice-coil mass property differences would result in a very real performance difference, despite that they share the same model number (DT880).

Think of them as two completely different headphones.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #217 of 12,546
Quote:

i [SIZE=""]REFUSE[/SIZE] to believe the 600ohm is significantly better than 250ohm, other than the fact that is sounds better on higher quality amps.

So that means it does sound better, right? :wink:

What I am skeptical of is the idea that you pretty much need an OTL tube amp to see any improvement. If the phones are that different, you should see an improvement even with a good SS amp, provided there is enough power.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #218 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]250-ohms vs. 600-ohms[/size]

It is perfectly logical that such vast impedance & voice-coil mass property differences would result in a very real performance difference, despite that they share the same model number (DT880).

Think of them as two completely different headphones.

RIGHT! One could, of course, have an argument about which is actually better (although there is no doubt in my mind it's the 600 ohm versions).

But one cannot argue that they are not different - they are.

Clearly Beyer thinks the 600 ohm drivers are special - since that is the impedance of the new top of the line T1.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #219 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What I am skeptical of is the idea that you pretty much need an OTL tube amp to see any improvement. If the phones are that different, you should see an improvement even with a good SS amp, provided there is enough power.

You can for sure get better sound with good SS. Tube amps are just good at providing a lot of voltage, which is what a 600 ohm headphone needs - this isn't mysticism; it's math. But a SS amp with good voltage delivery will show the same differences between the 250 ohm and 6oo ohm versions.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #220 of 12,546
Quote:

It is not more power that you need for the 600 Ohm.
The 600 Ohm drivers can sound better than the 250 Ohm drivers, but, because of the high impedance they need an amp with a large voltage swing. OTL amps can do that.
That is why not every amp shall be able to make you hear the potential difference in sq..

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #221 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do for sure get better sound with good SS. Tube amps are just good at providing a lot of voltage, which is what a 600 ohm headphone needs - this isn't mysticism; it's math. But a SS amp with good voltage delivery will show the same differences between the 250 ohm and 6oo ohm versions.

Would you say there's more of a difference between 250 and 600ohm than there is between 600 on SS and 600 on tubes? Or is the amp really the critical factor?

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #222 of 12,546
I still remembered how clearly the difference (better) was the 1st time I put DT880/600 on with GCHA + DL III. Solid state amp with stock cable and single-ended connection.

But in my setup the overall tonality is about the same. DT800/600 just sounds sharper and crispier (in the good sense), clearer and better mid/high, and more accurate focus. In the past, I had hard time choosing between DT880/250 and K702 since each has its own strength. But now DT880/600 gives me the best of both.

Hope this help. I was also hesitated a looong time to get 600 ohm since I don't want two similar phones. But now I had three DT880's
biggrin.gif
. I was so happy to get the 600 ohm version.

And I experienced another level of change if you recable the phone and going balanced.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #223 of 12,546
Quote:

you most likely bought the 250 ohm version. Which is still very solid and excellent.

apparently, head-fi has a vendetta with the 250 ohm versions and mostly the 600 ohm is the typical preferred choice.

i [size=xx-large]REFUSE[/size] to believe the 600ohm is significantly better than 250ohm, other than the fact that is sounds better on higher quality amps.

got that Andrew_Wot? got that Chinesewiki? got that Zombie_X?

k
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I guess we all got it.
smily_headphones1.gif
No problem, I was in the same skeptics camp myself, next thing I did is purchased 600Ohm Manufaktur DT880 and compared it to my 250Ohm version. The difference out of SS amp (GS-1) was so apparent that I was surprised Beyer didn't name them differently. I agree on DT770 comments, I didn't hear that much difference between 250 and 600Ohm version as on DT880.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #224 of 12,546
Quote:

Would you say there's more of a difference between 250 and 600ohm than there is between 600 on SS and 600 on tubes? Or is the amp really the critical factor?

That's very tough to answer, since amps can sound very different - but let me answer this way - on a SS amp up to the task, the difference between the 250 ohm version and the 600 ohm version should be just as large as on a tube amp.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #225 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree on DT770 comments, I didn't hear that much difference between 250 and 600Ohm version as on DT880.

I heared almost no difference at all between those 2 versions of the DT770 (or only to a snake oil degree), both were dead slow, hence my surprise about the DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back