The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
Jul 30, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #196 of 411
I think that's a very useful thread.

90% of the people I know don't want to spend more than 40$ on a first buy of headphones.
That doesn't mean they want to listen to crappy sound only for the sake of it. They just have other priorities in their life.
But they're not dumb (most of them) and have ears (all of them for the while) so I don't see why they wound't be glad to find this kind of thread which clears things around this price range.

IMHO, the logic behind "if you don't like your 100$ cans, buy a 200$ one" is much too simple (doesn't need an entire forum like head-fi) and isn't very useful (The're still people complaining about their Edition 9 and a lot which are very happy with a MDR-V6. Barry Diament for instance). Neither is it very economical.

Head-fi isn't the rotary club, it's about finding the cans that suits us the most in our pricerange. So why a thread useful to the majority of the headphones buyers should be shorter than the one on the T1 for example (that few people will buy in the end)?
I'm not saying that the thread about the T1 isn't useful (when you spend 1000$ for it you better know what to espect), I'm saying that this kind of thread isn't out of place here as well.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #197 of 411

Quote:

90% of the people I know don't want to spend more than 40$ on a first buy of headphones.
That doesn't mean they want to listen to crappy sound only for the sake of it. They just have other priorities in their life.
But they're not dumb (most of them) and have ears (all of them for the while) so I don't see why they wound't be glad to find this kind of thread which clears things around this price range.

IMHO, the logic behind "if you don't like your 100$ cans, buy a 200$ one" is much too simple (doesn't need an entire forum like head-fi) and isn't very useful (The're still people complaining about their Edition 9 and a lot which are very happy with a MDR-V6. Barry Diament for instance). Neither is it very economical.

Head-fi isn't the rotary club, it's about finding the cans that suits us the most in our pricerange. So why a thread useful to the majority of the headphones buyers should be shorter than the one on the T1 for example (that few people will buy in the end)?
I'm not saying that the thread about the T1 isn't useful (when you spend 1000$ for it you better know what to espect), I'm saying that this kind of thread isn't out of place here as well.

Well put! I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a decent-sized thorough discussion and analysis on entry-level HP's for $40 or less that doesn't involve everyone unanimously agreeing on either the KSC75 or the PortaPros.

Oh well, different people with differing priorities, I guess :). And Trance, let us know what you think of those Maxell's once you get 'em!

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #198 of 411

Quote:

Well said.  Additionally, I think the limited number of T1 owners have an even more limited number of purchasers who would blind-buy 1,000+ headphones without first listening to them.  So, in the end, it wasn't the thread that truly mattered.  Where for 35 bucks, someone could easily make a blind buy purchase. 

That said, I think some posters were reacting a bit to the number of additional posts/questions concerning a 35 dollar purchase from the O.P.  wondering if the scrutiny was well-considered ... ymmv. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #199 of 411

Quote:
This whole thread is a fail! OP make up your mind for $30

already did.  maxell dhp-ii a couple days ago..

Quote:
I honestly can't believe this thread reached 13 pages. I didn't even bother looking at this thread during work because it was such a.. insignificant subject. Wow, just wow. Choose a random 30 dollar headphone, it's not much of a loss if you don't like it. You'll be spending MUCH, MUCH MORE later on. Trust me. 
biggrin.gif

Oh and +1 for Koss PortaPro. I heard them from a friend of mine, definitely a good budget headphone. It's no HD 800s, but it gets the job done well. 

already chose, and thanks for the input!

Quote:

Guys, he got the Maxells. And seriously, this is the longest thread for a budget headphone recommendation ever.

And I know his situation. It makes perfect sense. Kinda overkill though.

That cable thread I posted in got 100 responses really fast.

thank you for paying attention!  i am indeed getting the maxell dhp-ii!  these are the first headphones i've ever put any research into, so thanks for understanding!  :p

Quote:
How is there 13 pages on $30 headphones? Have any of you guys spent less than $100 on headphones? 
biggrin.gif

i'd have to say about 1 page of responses are probably of this nature.  :p

Quote:
lol...i never thought there were several choices for $30. 

see?  this thread might be helpful for a few in the near future!  :D

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #200 of 411

Quote:

Well put! I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a decent-sized thorough discussion and analysis on entry-level HP's for $40 or less that doesn't involve everyone unanimously agreeing on either the KSC75 or the PortaPros.

Oh well, different people with differing priorities, I guess :). And Trance, let us know what you think of those Maxell's once you get 'em!

I'll do my best.  These are the first headphones I will have besides iPod headphones (earburds rather?)!  :p  Either way what I can do is let you know how I feel about them overall!  Obviously they won't be the best headphones ever, but I will be sure to let you all know what I feel about the bass and clarity!  :) 

I will put them to the test with trance, hardstyle, drum n bass, hip hop/rap, and post-rock.  :)

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #203 of 411
Will do Anaxilus! :D

I should be able to order them sometime in this next week, so I may not be back for a bit!  I will let you all know when I place the order, and then when I receive them.  At that point I will give initial impressions of sound, and after I use them for a week, I will give a return impression (aka did the sound improve with burn period etc).

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #204 of 411
I hope im not too late but IMO definately get the portapros!!!!! I demoed them on a convention today and it made my jaw dropped. Seriously!!!! My setup cost around 2000$ and the portapros sounded about 85% as good as my setup!!! I immediately bought one as a back up unit in case my HD 800 fails. Its that good!!!

My setup:
Macbook pro -> Carat Ruby MKII DAC -> AMB M^3 amplfier -> HD 800  

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #205 of 411

Quote:
I hope im not too late but IMO definately get the portapros!!!!! I demoed them on a convention today and it made my jaw dropped. Seriously!!!! My setup cost around 2000$ and the portapros sounded about 85% as good as my setup!!! I immediately bought one as a back up unit in case my HD 800 fails. Its that good!!!

My setup:
Macbook pro -> Carat Ruby MKII DAC -> AMB M^3 amplfier -> HD 800  

...?

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #208 of 411
Can't remember if it was previously said, but does the Operator of this thread have access to a local B-Buy? That would solve many problems, and give a chance to audition the PortaPro, which is still my vote!

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #210 of 411
Mine had them (Plover, WI) but they seem to have been replaced with the UR40, which seem to be far inferior from a sound/soundstage standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back