The BEST full sized headphones for $30 USD or less (updated Nov. 27 2013)?
Jul 27, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #166 of 411

Quote:
I noticed that the Maxell DHP-II has 40mm Neodymium drivers, while the JVC and others have 50mm.  Is that something that should concern me in terms of bass/clarity of highs and highs/overall quality?  What effect does that have?

I am so close to getting the Maxell's based on the review I read here, and Olimoronio's posts on other threads.  Olimoronio, if you're out there let me know about this question?  Anyone else chime in as well if you want!!  :)

Nah, just because you have a bigger driver doesn't mean it will use it.  Some IEM's w/ 9mm drivers hit harder and lower than many headphones.

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #167 of 411
12 pages of deliberation over 40 dollars. I have never, read, never, seen so much time spent over such a small amount of money. Isn't your time worth anything? You could've spent all this time deliberating, asking questions and waiting for responses doing chores or other odd jobs and earned more money for a great pair of headphones. Hell, I'm also cheap and spend a disproportionate amount of time to try to make sure I get the best bang for the buck, but this, wow. Do you have OCD?

Edit: It also doesn't seem fair to all the people taking time to answer all your questions, since all you're going to do is plug them into your PC occasionally. The least you could've done is to research on your own and make up your own mind.

http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #168 of 411
Take the Koss Porta Pro's and be finished with it. Sounds great for the money.

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #169 of 411
You may want to consider the Sennheiser HD201 from either Headroom (headphone.com) or Amazon.com.  It is an all round good headphone for under $30.00.  Provides decent isolation and sound representation. 

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #170 of 411

Quote:
You may want to consider the Sennheiser HD201 from either Headroom (headphone.com) or Amazon.com.  It is an all round good headphone for under $30.00.  Provides decent isolation and sound representation. 

Needs a fair amount of power to sound its best.....much more than the specs would indicate.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #171 of 411
Quote:
I noticed that the Maxell DHP-II has 40mm Neodymium drivers, while the JVC and others have 50mm.  Is that something that should concern me in terms of bass/clarity of highs and highs/overall quality?  What effect does that have?

I am so close to getting the Maxell's based on the review I read here, and Olimoronio's posts on other threads.  Olimoronio, if you're out there let me know about this question?  Anyone else chime in as well if you want!!  :)

I'm just going to put this very simply: I have a bunch of phones with 50mm drivers that don't even begin to approach the bass on these Maxell's.

The highs are not affected.

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #172 of 411

Quote:

If the Maxell's are better than my Sennheiser HD238 (and they are) I wonder what chance the HD201's would stand against them.

Anyway, I'm about done with this thread. It's a bit frustrating. I've shown you THE best buy in this price range, period.

I hope you choose wisely.

Jul 28, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #173 of 411
Alright, thanks Olimoronio!  I just wrote to a seller on amazon today about the Maxell DHP-II.  He/She/They have a 30 day return policy, so I'm going for those!  $27 after shipping/tax!

P13M4N, I'm not sure why it pisses you off so much.  Just leave the thread!  You have no idea what my personal situation is right now, so don't just assume I can go out there and work some odd jobs.  I never understand why people "like you" decide to complain about a thread when you can just move along.. No one forced you to read all of these posts.

As for everyone else, thanks to you as well!  I really appreciate the help I got.  If these headphones don't work out, I'm just going to go for the PortaPro, but I don't see why I wouldn't by happy with the Maxell's from everything Olimoronio has said!  :D

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #175 of 411
The HD202 for the price are quite impressive, by far the best "cheapo" phones ive listened to, obviously they are no match for better phones, they are very weak on the bass end & have midrange that is "honky" which is the techy term used by headroom, & I agree 100% with their review, overall though they are fantastic value for money, but as with any cheap phones it wont be long before you will be wanting to upgrade.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #177 of 411

Quote:
The HD202 for the price are quite impressive, by far the best "cheapo" phones ive listened to, obviously they are no match for better phones, they are very weak on the bass end & have midrange that is "honky" which is the techy term used by headroom, & I agree 100% with their review, overall though they are fantastic value for money, but as with any cheap phones it wont be long before you will be wanting to upgrade.

Sounds like shark bait for the DBI700.  They remind me of Etys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back