The Audio Lounge
Jan 3, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #21,871 of 36,387
have you tried various iems and certain it's the zishan?

Yes, multiple iems, buds and headphones... balanced and SE. Also compared with my husbands Zishan and I don't think mine ever sounded as good as his. Maybe mine had a channel imbalance all along. I had not used it much and recently wanted to start using it with certain headphones.

Were you have problems even just playing albums one at a time straight through?

I have a 400 GB card in mine but it is only about half full.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #21,872 of 36,387
Yes, multiple iems, buds and headphones... balanced and SE. Also compared with my husbands Zishan and I don't think mine ever sounded as good as his. Maybe mine had a channel imbalance all along. I had not used it much and recently wanted to start using it with certain headphones.

Were you have problems even just playing albums one at a time straight through?

I have a 400 GB card in mine but it is only about half full.
....I had a 400gb card in and it was ok when it was about 280gb used, as it got fuller it started not to recognize tracks and then it got to the stage as it got fuller that it wouldn't play any next track, took off some files and smaller card and it was fine ...it probably would of still been fine with the 400gb card but less music.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #21,873 of 36,387
Here's something a bit different - Robyn Adele Anderson singing in Arabic. :open_mouth:
“A Whole New World” (Aladdin) Arabic cover by Robyn Adele Anderson, featuring Adam Bastien (2019)

Jan 4, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #21,874 of 36,387
I almost forgot to submit my selections for the Word of the Week... Sender

This one came to mind immediately

The dancing is pretty funny...

and I like this one...another oldie but not as old...

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #21,875 of 36,387
TOMORROW

WG.jpg Huatulco-sign.jpg tecate.png manzanilla-beach-las.jpg

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #21,877 of 36,387
That series of images is also accurate relating to enjoyment potential of activity from least enjoyable to most enjoyable. And then reverse the order on your way back :p

Yup, that's how it plays in my head.

Jan 6, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #21,878 of 36,387
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #21,879 of 36,387
Was checking the Postmodern Jukebox YouTube channel, and came across their newest video -
"Mr. Blue Sky" by ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) - cover by Postmodern Jukebox, featuring Allison Young

So, I went looking for more music from Allison, and found her YouTube channel, and that she's recorded some videos with Josh Turner.
"Fever" by Peggy Lee - cover by Josh Turner, featuring Allison Young

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #21,880 of 36,387
I have a friend with a Brimar The Prince 12x cable where the jack has bent. (I don't know if that means it's a 12 wire cable or not, but can find out!).

They are based in the UK and wanting to have it fixed or re-terminated; does anyone know any reliable, non-extortionately-priced companies/people who could do that?
Please let me know if you do, and many thanks :)

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #21,881 of 36,387
Oh, and if anyone is interested, I posted a review of the DX160 a couple of days ago.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/23101/
I compare it to the DX220 (with stock AMP1 Mk II) and Sony's ZX300.
I describe how they both sound with EE Phantom and Stealth Sonics U9, and how the DX160 sounds with iBasso IT01 and IT04 and Stealth Sonics U4.

If you don't have time/inclination to wade through it all, I can give a summary as follows:

In my humble opinion, I think reports of the DX160 sounding only a tiny bit less good than the DX220 are overstated.
I thought the two players were very close, when I simply played one for a few days and then played the other.
But actually A/B testing them back to back on particular test tracks, I do hear a significant step up in quality with the DX220, which shouldn't be that much of a surprise :p
I'm not saying this to disparage anyone else's perspective, simply providing my own personal view. We all hear things differently and I respect that.

Regarding the DX160 specifically, I find it to be a bit L-shaped.
Not to a great extent, like Legend X or iBasso's IT01 for example, but I found the lows to have some emphasis, whereas the rest of the sound signature was tuned relatively neutrally in comparison.
It was rather more energetic in comparison with the DX220 (AMP 1 Mk II).
I also felt that the soundstage was reasonably wide, but just average in height and depth (others may disagree, and IEM pairing is a factor).

What this means in practice is that it could be a very good DAP choice, or not, depending on what IEM's you're planning to pair it with, and what you'd like to enhance/decrease/maintain/change with regards to the sound signature of those IEMs.
With something like the Legend X, I think you'll be doubling down on that L-shaped signature, so if you're someone who hears the Legend X and thinks "wow, I really like this IEM, but if only it could have a bit more emphasis on the low end", then this combo would be for you!
NB: I imagine no one ever said that, ever :D

Suffice to say, it didn't pair well (for my tastes) with the IT01,
Whereas with my two Stealth Sonics IEM's and the iBasso IT04, I found there was a good synergy.

With EE Phantom, I found that it could also pair well, but it depended again on which aspects of the Phantom's sound signature you wanted to draw out.
The DX220 highlighted the technical ability of the Phantoms (whilst not diminishing its other qualities), whereas the DX160 was all about richness, tone and timbre, with a slight reduction in those technical abilities.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #21,882 of 36,387
Was checking the Postmodern Jukebox YouTube channel, and came across their newest video -
"Mr. Blue Sky" by ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) - cover by Postmodern Jukebox, featuring Allison Young

So, I went looking for more music from Allison, and found her YouTube channel, and that she's recorded some videos with Josh Turner.
"Fever" by Peggy Lee - cover by Josh Turner, featuring Allison Young

Love their sound. I've got tickets to see them in my local spot in a couple months: https://thecabot.org/event/postmodern-jukebox

Jan 7, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #21,883 of 36,387
Before the Word of the Week (Send) changes tomorrow, I had one more I wanted to share. The mood was too different to include with the earlier ones that I shared.

So...

Why Write a Letter That You'll Never Send - The Drones It starts out quiet and gets louder so be aware.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #21,884 of 36,387
Everyone should see pejorative at least once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back