The Audio Lounge
Jan 9, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #21,901 of 36,387
My very brief one-eared first opinion on the new Tin T4

Faulty mmcx connectors on both channels which causes intermittent sound.

I am not talking about a little loose, they are both very loose.

Unforgivable quality control, so 2 stars out of 5 from me.

Very nice packaging but it is all total BS if you end up with a faulty product.

The very brief testing I did disappointed me with the sound. It was quite analytical and not very musical to me and erred on the steely/harsh side.

Normally I would give a new product the benefit of some burn-in time but not this time with such shoddy QC.

I have done a verified purchase review on Amazon UK but it will take a few days before being published.
Wow that makes me a little sick! Never want to spend money on gear and have it turn out like that. Fortunately you can return them. Thinking back when Linsoul was selling the T4 when it first came out... If this would have happened with them I would have had to ship them back on my dime. No more Tin audio for me.

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #21,903 of 36,387
I think it funny that the thread about cheap cables seemed to have just found out how good ISN cables are. Nice that we here are in front of the trends.

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #21,904 of 36,387
Cheap cables? Whazzzthat

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #21,905 of 36,387
I think the term is relative. Nothing is cheap in this hobby

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #21,906 of 36,387
Being a cable junky myself, I like that thread, they uncover some decent deals. Someone is always testing stuff like resistance and conductivity to keep it all honest

Jan 11, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #21,908 of 36,387
Not a good way to start the new year off. Loved Peart, he will be missed.

Jan 11, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #21,909 of 36,387
Not a WOW but wanted to think about Neil. Some ones queued up for a walk:

Gone way too soon.

Jan 12, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #21,910 of 36,387
Well, I finally put my X5iii up for sale. Hadn't been willing to part with it but have had my eye on the DX160 and would like to work towards getting that. I know the BT and wifi has had some issues but I don't care much about that, looking for a great sounding unit with good UI and display. Right now, the X5 is not seeing much play-time so might as well let it go...

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #21,911 of 36,387
Well, I finally put my X5iii up for sale. Hadn't been willing to part with it but have had my eye on the DX160 and would like to work towards getting that. I know the BT and wifi has had some issues but I don't care much about that, looking for a great sounding unit with good UI and display. Right now, the X5 is not seeing much play-time so might as well let it go...

I think you will be very pleased with it.

Jan 13, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #21,913 of 36,387
Question for anyone who's running Linux on their PC -
What are you using to control the settings for the digital audio output (SPDIF) on your Linux PC?

This weekend, I did an upgrade on my PC (new SSDs), and installed Linux Mint (which I was familiar with, after running it on an Asus Eee-PC Netbook).
In my PC, I've got a Syba SD-PEX63081 sound card (Cmedia 8828 chip) - which is only being used for its SPDIF optical (TOSLINK) output.
https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=122&search=SD-PEX63081
When running Windows 7 Pro on the PC, in the playback device settings, I'm able to configure it for 24-Bit / 192-KHz output, which my Topping D70 displays on its screen, when PC audio is selected on the TOSLINK 4x4 Matrix Switch.
At first, in Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" (w/Cinnamon desktop environment), the SD-PEX63081 didn't even show up as an available device - so I tried plugging in a Phiree U2S (USB to SPDIF (Coax & TOSLINK)) adapter.
That worked, to send optical data to my D70, at 48-KHz (even though the U2S is rated to 192-KHz @ 16-Bit, or 96-KHz @ 24-Bit).
After some software updates and a reboot, the Cmedia 8828 began showing up as an audio output device - so I moved the fiber back to the card in the PC.
I've installed a few different Audio Device / Volume Control apps, but haven't found one that allows the digital output settings to be adjusted.
When using several different music player programs, the PC always outputs 48-KHz data - if I'm playing 16-Bit / 44.1-KHz, or 24-Bit / 192-KHz FLAC files.
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #21,914 of 36,387
Question for anyone who's running Linux on their PC -
What are you using to control the settings for the digital audio output (SPDIF) on your Linux PC?

This weekend, I did an upgrade on my PC (new SSDs), and installed Linux Mint (which I was familiar with, after running it on an Asus Eee-PC Netbook).
In my PC, I've got a Syba SD-PEX63081 sound card (Cmedia 8828 chip) - which is only being used for its SPDIF optical (TOSLINK) output.
https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=122&search=SD-PEX63081
When running Windows 7 Pro on the PC, in the playback device settings, I'm able to configure it for 24-Bit / 192-KHz output, which my Topping D70 displays on its screen, when PC audio is selected on the TOSLINK 4x4 Matrix Switch.
At first, in Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" (w/Cinnamon desktop environment), the SD-PEX63081 didn't even show up as an available device - so I tried plugging in a Phiree U2S (USB to SPDIF (Coax & TOSLINK)) adapter.
That worked, to send optical data to my D70, at 48-KHz (even though the U2S is rated to 192-KHz @ 16-Bit, or 96-KHz @ 24-Bit).
After some software updates and a reboot, the Cmedia 8828 began showing up as an audio output device - so I moved the fiber back to the card in the PC.
I've installed a few different Audio Device / Volume Control apps, but haven't found one that allows the digital output settings to be adjusted.
When using several different music player programs, the PC always outputs 48-KHz data - if I'm playing 16-Bit / 44.1-KHz, or 24-Bit / 192-KHz FLAC files.
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

did a little searching and it appears cmedia is pretty windows centric but I did find something on kernel.org that “might” be helpful.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/sound/cards/cmipci.html

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #21,915 of 36,387
did a little searching and it appears cmedia is pretty windows centric but I did find something on kernel.org that “might” be helpful.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.14/sound/cards/cmipci.html

Thanks for the reply!
I'm glad that the card is recognized by Linux - both the Analog outputs (which I don't use), and the Digital output (SPDIF) that I do use. It would be great to find a utility that allows me to set the bit depth & sample rate - or to instruct the card to simply transmit the audio file as-is, up to the maximum supported rate (24-Bit / 192-KHz), and only resample when it encounters a higher rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back