The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 7, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #3,766 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkinsey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The internal amp of the Zune 80 is actually pretty impressive. Bass with the k701 has a lot of impact and I can drive the sound to an uncomfortable level. Hearing them out of my Zune 80, I actually have trouble believing that people consider the k701 bass-shy. Only the low bass is a little thin. Otherwise it's nearly perfect. From what I've read the iPods internal amp isn't nearly as good, so I would expect it to sound unimpressive.

x2 on what Sandchak said. Getting the K701 loud doesn't mean it is being driven properly.

But if you feel that the zune is already adequate for you, then don't get an amp. From your post, what I am getting is the zune's amp is better than the ipod's hp out from what you've read. Maybe you should compare.

I have not heard the zune 80 so I can't really comment on it.

I think I already said enough about the K701 and I stand by what I said that the K701 is a headphone that should be amped, according to my ears. So YMMV
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually you are lucky, you are happy with K701 as is. Your wallet is probably very happy too
smily_headphones1.gif

And btw the K701 is bass shy
smily_headphones1.gif
Compare it to a Sennheiser HD650 or a Denon D5000 and you'll hear what I mean
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #3,767 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on what Sandchak said. Getting the K701 loud doesn't mean it is being driven properly.

But if you feel that the zune is already adequate for you, then don't get an amp. From your post, what I am getting is the zune's amp is better than the ipod's hp out from what you've read. Maybe you should compare.

I have not heard the zune 80 so I can't really comment on it.

I think I already said enough about the K701 and I stand by what I said that the K701 is a headphone that should be amped, according to my ears. So YMMV
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually you are lucky, you are happy with K701 as is. Your wallet is probably very happy too
smily_headphones1.gif

And btw the K701 is bass shy
smily_headphones1.gif
Compare it to a Sennheiser HD650 or a Denon D5000 and you'll hear what I mean
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I recently auditioned a TC-7520 dac/amp and the sound is too dark for me. The soundstage actually got smaller and the highs rolled off compared to my zune; but the low bass does pick up a little more weight amped. Hence the specificity of the questions I asked about the Compass. There are many reviews which establish the zune sound quality as being superior to that of the ipod. Though I haven't made the comparison with my k701, I have with lesser earphones and the zune has a warmer, fuller sound than the ipod.

Also, I have the AD900s which are supposedly the best unamped headphones. There are many songs where I prefer the sound of the unamped k701s to that of the unamped AD900 through my zune. The cymbals in the first 30 seconds of Psalms from John Coltrane's Love Supreme album have this magical quality that I can only hear in my Zune > K701 combination so far, that is lost when I switch phones or use the amp, or switch directly to my laptop out. However, i do sense that there is room for improvement in detail and background sound seperation and low bass which a more synergistic amp might bring out. Hence my interest in the Compass.

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #3,768 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkinsey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I recently auditioned a TC-7520 dac/amp and the sound is too dark for me. The soundstage actually got smaller and the highs rolled off compared to my zune; but the low bass does pick up a little more weight amped. Hence the specificity of the questions I asked about the Compass. There are many reviews which establish the zune sound quality as being superior to that of the ipod. Though I haven't made the comparison with my k701, I have with lesser earphones and the zune has a warmer, fuller sound than the ipod.

Also, I have the AD900s which are supposedly the best unamped headphones. There are many songs where I prefer the sound of the unamped k701s to that of the unamped AD900 through my zune. The cymbals in the first 30 seconds of Psalms from John Coltrane's Love Supreme album have this magical quality that I can only hear in my Zune > K701 combination so far, that is lost when I switch phones or use the amp, or switch directly to my laptop out. However, i do sense that there is room for improvement in detail and background sound seperation and low bass which a more synergistic amp might bring out. Hence my interest in the Compass.

Ah, from my very limited experience, the only amp that really opened up the K701 was a beta 22. Im hoping the Audio-GD C2C could at least approximate 80% of that and I'll be happy. Among the headphones I currently own, the K701 is hardest one for me to find synergy with an amp. I didn't like it even with a Gilmore Lite
smily_headphones1.gif

But from the K701/compass review, I think the compass amp did a good job. Anyway, again let me say this, and I am not being sarcastic, if you are happy already with the Zune/K701 combo, stop right there for the meantime
smily_headphones1.gif

and save your money for a beta22 or equivalent audio-gd amp when it becomes available
atsmile.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #3,769 of 7,725
Quote:

Ah, from my very limited experience, the only amp that really opened up the K701 was a beta 22. Im hoping the Audio-GD C2C could at least approximate 80% of that and I'll be happy. Among the headphones I currently own, the K701 is hardest one for me to find synergy with an amp. I didn't like it even with a Gilmore Lite
smily_headphones1.gif

But from the K701/compass review, I think the compass amp did a good job. Anyway, again let me say this, and I am not being sarcastic, if you are happy already with the Zune/K701 combo, stop right there for the meantime
smily_headphones1.gif

and save your money for a beta22 or equivalent audio-gd amp when it becomes available
atsmile.gif

Haha, well, I was crossing my fingers that the Compass could deliver the sound I am after, since I'm not sure if I want to drop more than another $500 into finding it. Hopefully, a few of the 30 new owners will be able to shed more light on this. I might look into the beta 22, but apparently it is a DIY and I'm not very handy with electronics. Plus then I would have to buy a separate dac to use it with my laptop. I have to say though, I have yet to hear a source that made the k701 sound bad to my ears, just different sound signatures depending on the source.

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #3,770 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

It's all up to chance I think.

Peete.

Yeah...figured as much...thanks Pete
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #3,772 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep this thread on topic or it will be closed. No more personal attacks.

Since you've already stepped in, Im sure the people in this thread will behave as no one wants this thread closed
smily_headphones1.gif

--------------------

Just noticed that the prices for the 3 new DACs and the compass are in the pricelist
smily_headphones1.gif

Im just curious, did anyone bid on the original amplifier which was the First Prize winner of the American National Semiconductor Audio Design Contest advertised in Audio-GD's index page?
atsmile.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #3,773 of 7,725
My experience with the K701 was that the soundstage you hear with it (and the HD-600s) is directly proportional to the quality of the source and amp.

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #3,774 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience with the K701 was that the soundstage you hear with it (and the HD-600s) is directly proportional to the quality of the source and amp.

I personally found the 701 soundstage shrink with Shanling PH100, compared to Zero..
confused_face_2.gif
maybe its the ZERO DAC that made it wider, because I was using the Shanling with NAD C541i CD player.. or ZERO has a better HP amp than Shanling PH100 - to me it is quite improbable..

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #3,775 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could bet some serious money that going Zune80>Compass will make you don't believe what you're hearing (maybe make you cry) if you're already satisfied with your K701.
icon10.gif

The difference from my soundcard to Zero was big, and Zero to Compass was even bigger, much more bass, details, soundstage, etc...

Moon has larger soundstage than Earth, and both with Compass should be a major improvement from what you're using right now.

Some people say burn in is placebo but I think the sound is changing yet, in a good way - so you don't have to worry.

winzzz, I had no opportunity to test Sun yet, but there are people here who tried both v1 and v2, it is buried somewhere. From what I know it has characteristics that I really don't want with my K701.
k701smile.gif

That's interesting. I sometimes regret not having my K701s still as they were great for gauging the ability of sources and amps in this way.

Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

It's probably the result of your source, not the amp. I had a similar issue with the Little Dot MKV and the K701s, and it was my Apogee Duet being too analytical and not musical enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally found the 701 soundstage shrink with Shanling PH100, compared to Zero..
confused_face_2.gif
maybe its the ZERO DAC that made it wider, because I was using the Shanling with NAD C541i CD player.. or ZERO has a better HP amp than Shanling PH100 - to me it is quite improbable..

How about the Zero as the source to your Shanling? Or didn't you compare?

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #3,776 of 7,725
Quote:

No, that is something I didn't try.. and now I cant because I don't have any of them at my disposal..
frown.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #3,777 of 7,725
Quote:

I'm jumping in here... I have the before mentioned components and I think the Zero DAC driving the Shanling amp was the best combination with K701.

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #3,778 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm jumping in here... I have the before mentioned components and I think the Zero DAC driving the Shanling amp was the best combination with K701.

Kinda kicking myself for not having tried that out.. I kept the Zero dedicated for music through PC and speakers, while the Shanling was connected to my CD player for dedicated headphone listening..

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #3,779 of 7,725
Quick question about Compass vs Sound Cards. My current setup: Prodigy HD2 --> LD II++ --> K701. I was wondering if the compass's DAC is better and if I should just get rid of everything because I heard my amp doesn't have enough power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back