The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 7, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #3,781 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_lammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question about Compass vs Sound Cards. My current setup: Prodigy HD2 --> LD II++ --> K701. I was wondering if the compass's DAC is better and if I should just get rid of everything because I heard my amp doesn't have enough power.

I had the Prodigy HD2 advance sound card (flashed with latest software), later I bought the Zero, to me Zero sounded better than Prodigy. I sold my Zero before I bought the Compass, so I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison, but there are a majority that say Compass is far better than Stock Zero.

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #3,782 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep this thread on topic or it will be closed. No more personal attacks.

Looks to Sky...

Thank-you Jesus!!

Err I mean Tyrion....

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #3,783 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let us know when you expect to get your new amp Sandchak! Very exciting.

Sure MBD.. I expect it latest by the 17th, catch one more day extra if I have to carry it to the top floor !!..
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #3,785 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience with the K701 was that the soundstage you hear with it (and the HD-600s) is directly proportional to the quality of the source and amp.

Precisely ! 100% agree with this. Same goes for the 650's BTW.

Peete.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #3,787 of 7,725
Mar 8, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #3,788 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't that be nice!

Haven't seen you here in a while, heard you had died!

LOL, the rumor's close to the truth. I've been working a lot, a real death-march...

Yeah, an Audio-gd presence at Can Jam would be cool. I have plans to attend, it should be a great time...

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #3,789 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody used this with Ultrasone Proline 550s?

I was about to pull the trigger on a Stock Zero, but if I manage to sell some gear than this may well be within my reach with some saving up.

I'll probably be have HD650s by mid-year as well, so I'd be interested in seeing how the compass compares to the Zero (ie whether its worth the considerable extra over a stock Zero).

Have you read Post #1 yet?

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #3,791 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, the rumor's close to the truth. I've been working a lot, a real death-march...

Yeah, an Audio-gd presence at Can Jam would be cool. I have plans to attend, it should be a great time...

Wish I could go. Getting Boozed up with a Bunch of headphone freaks sounds like a good time!!

For some reason Alcohol acts like a 24db/Octive base Filter to me.

How do I know this?

When I get in the Car the next day, and power it up, it blows me out the door onto the driveway!

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #3,792 of 7,725
Has anybody used this with Ultrasone Proline 550s?

I was about to pull the trigger on a Stock Zero, but if I manage to sell some gear than this may well be within my reach with some saving up.

I'll probably be have HD650s by mid-year as well, so I'd be interested in seeing how the compass compares to the Zero (ie whether its worth the considerable extra over a stock Zero).

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #3,793 of 7,725
What do you think of your Pro 550's? Do you like its neutrality or you want it to sound more fun? Personally I don't get all that much enjoyment from improving the SQ of my Pro headphones because it always presents things in an unengaging manner (something good for the studio). But I think your Pro headphones would have amazing synergy with the moon hdam because the hdam was probably designed using gear about as revealing and neutral as Pro headphones. It makes my headphones sound almost as fun as HFI-2200's (that means a lot :p).

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #3,794 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still reading through the mass of information in the reviews actually.

I guess I'm just after a "quick" answer.

The other option for me is a Zhaolu D3.

Stick with the Compass is my advice. It's clearly a cut above the Zero and that other DAC. Without a doubt.

That's a quick answer.

Peete.

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #3,795 of 7,725
Hmm, so wait another 2 agnoizing weeks before buying a compass.
biggrin.gif

Then again, how would the compass play with the HD650 (I'm getting those about middle of the year)?

Finished reading the extensive reviews by people. It does sound like the compass is worth the extra since it seems to play with the best of them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back