The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 8, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #3,796 of 7,725
My purchase of a K702 is just for the arrival of the Compass. At the moment, is using a D2 as a headamp.

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #3,797 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, so wait another 2 agnoizing weeks before buying a compass.
biggrin.gif

Then again, how would the compass play with the HD650 (I'm getting those about middle of the year)?

Finished reading the extensive reviews by people. It does sound like the compass is worth the extra since it seems to play with the best of them though.

It works great with my 650's. No worries there.

Peete.

PS I've waited since last Fall for the RE1 DAC (5.5 months and counting)......it's shipping in mid March ( I think). I understand how you feel WRT waiting but it'll be worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #3,799 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaidBack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if there are plans for an Audio-gd representative and/or Audio-gd gear to be at Can Jam 09? http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f129/can-jam-2009-date-location-announcement-396027/

I suggested to Kingwa that he attend, but he doesn't speak any English, so I don't think he'll go.

Quote:

Has anybody used this with Ultrasone Proline 550s?

I tried it with my ED9s and all was good. I didn't get the impression that Ultrasones were particularly demanding headphones. HD-600s and 650s are far more sensitive to gear.

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #3,801 of 7,725
Quote:

Is the stock OPA good enough, or should I opt for one of the other ones whilst I'm ordering?

The stock OPA now is EARTH and a majority out here seem to agree on that being the best option, but getting the other two Moon and SUN will always add to the variety.. IMHO..

EDIT - Yes it is quite tweakable, in the sense you can change OPAs, adjust gains and yes a couple of DIY options too, if you are comfortable with soldering, although this hasn't been tried out (think so) , it has been discussed, like adding bypass caps..

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #3,802 of 7,725
Quote:

Is the stock OPA good enough, or should I opt for one of the other ones whilst I'm ordering?

Depends on what you like. You'll cover most of the bases with the Earth module (Neutral and well balanced top to bottom) with the Moon module more of a single ended tube like sound, a little warmer with wide sound staging slightly rolled off highs and a thickened (slight but pleasant) mid bass region.
The SUN V2 is augmented in the bass and treble regions (less than V1 version) if that is your cup of tea.

The soft/bright settings in the Compass amp section allow customization of the sound qualities even further.

A discount is offered with the Compass on additional modules (20US each) purchased. So it might be a good idea to get an extra flavor. You pick the stock OPA ( no need it's the Earth module...thanks Sandchak !
smily_headphones1.gif
) and then choose the other flavors ( Moon or SUN V2) if you want.

Most here have the Earth/Moon combo. Depends on personal taste really.

Hope that helps a little.

Peete.

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #3,804 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggested to Kingwa that he attend, but he doesn't speak any English, so I don't think he'll go.

Isn't that a bit harsh? (EDIT: Okay, maybe not, I was just told that that was the reason he gave you.) I would say Kingwa's English is actually quite good from someone with his background. He's struggling, but he seems to manage okay. (Verbal conversation might be more difficult though.)

I actually think the main thing holding him back would be the considerable cost of shipping an Audio-gd delegation and a lot of equipment overthere. That would constitute quite an outlay for a relatively small company.

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #3,805 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't that a bit harsh? (EDIT: Okay, maybe not, I was just told that that was the reason he gave you.) I would say Kingwa's English is actually quite good from someone with his background. He's struggling, but he seems to manage okay. (Verbal conversation might be more difficult though.)

I actually think the main thing holding him back would be the considerable cost of shipping an Audio-gd delegation and a lot of equipment overthere. That would constitute quite an outlay for a relatively small company.

Yeah, I should have phrased that better: I'd have to dig out the email, but he wasn't enthusiastic because he only speaks a couple of words of English.

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #3,809 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I asked him yesterday, when he would ship my amp ++, he said he would do it together with the shipping of Compass - between Monday (9th) and Thursday (12th), he plans to ship the new batch of Compass in 2 batches - 220volt and 120 volt separately, so that just in case the courier mistakenly sends Mr X's parcel to Mr. Y, the compass will still work.

Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for. ^^

Biggie.

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #3,810 of 7,725
Grats on 3,333 posts
redface.gif

Kind of late to say this now, but I have to recant what I said about earth being much better than the moon in the compass. I was using a very smoothed HFI-2200 before, so combining it with the moon was like applying crossfeed twice. But with pretty sterile sounding Pro 900's I much prefer the moon which makes it sound interesting, almost as smoothed out as my HFI-2200's with earth. So I recommend the moon to people who think their headphones are excessively analytical and boring, and earth to people who use headphones that already have a lot of character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back