The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 7, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #3,752 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleatoris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...now that my wallet's empty, I'm counting the days until my Compass arrives. I hope I don't... pass... out....

LOL
That sounds pretty dangerous.
Are you forgoing food and drink to be able to afford the Compass?

I on the other hand am waiting for impressions from the lucky 30 who are getting the upgraded version before putting in my order...
That is if i can hold out...

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #3,753 of 7,725
Jkinsey,

You need to say compared to what gear. I hope we see Skylab's review soon because many people are interested on how the amp section of Compass compare to other options.

With my little experience I can say I found myself thrilled many times while listening to this combo. My Moon has 300 hours on it, and Earth almost 400 - looks like they are not fully burnt yet.

I like Moon with my Compass, as it gives wider soundstage and in many songs it brings you in the middle of it, and of course because it sounds softer than Earth too. I think there is more detail, but something related to "things" that are in background and are harder to observe. I think its placement of instruments isn't as good as my Earth is right now.

Going to Earth you easily notice the sound comes more from the middle, voices are more natural and there is better dynamics. Sounds a little harsh (more sibilance?) and much faster. I think people use the term PRAT to describe this difference in speed and rhytm, don't really know how to translate this to English.

Moon makes things flow and Earth makes you listen. With both bass is MUCH BETTER than it was with my Zero without upgraded amp section. Unfortunately this is all I got to compare to (and the stock crap motherboard sound card).

Well recorded live music sounds GREAT to me with both.

I say all this believing it will get even better with time because my Earth is going soft every day I listen to it and Moon began the instrument separation only in the last 100/50 hours. Untill that I hated its sound compared to my Earth with 300 hours.

With my father's HD580, in brief listen I had, bass sounded less detailed than with K701 and the difference in intensity from what I remember with Zero, that was BIG, now is much less.

After more 200/300 hours on both HDAMs I'll place my "review" about what happened during all this time. It will not be impressive or the most valuable but will be sincere.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #3,755 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sganzerla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jkinsey,

You need to say compared to what gear. I hope we see Skylab's review soon because many people are interested on how the amp section of Compass compare to other options.

Sorry, I should have pointed out that I am currently listening to my K701 unamped out of my Zune 80. The sound is actually almost perfect for me; I love the fast sound, large soundstage, and extended highs that make cymbals sound magical. I just need a little more weight on the bottom end and slightly better instrument separation which I think a powerful amp with the right properties might add. The Earth sounds like it might do this, but I'm not sure if I could adjust to the loss of soundstage if it is significant. Do the HDAM's stabilize after 300 hours or do they continue to change? I'm not sure if I would be satisfied if the sound still changed continuously after that.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your impressions!

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #3,756 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkinsey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone provide impressions of the K701 and the Compass?

In particular, I'm curious if the Compass improves the K701's bass without losing it's detail/instrument separation, shrinking the soundstage or rolling off the highs. How would you describe the sound of the k701/Compass combo?

Thank you!

Well going back to your original question.........

I think the review being pointed out by mbd adequately and sufficiently answers the questions regarding the K701 and the compass.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the K701. Stocked and unamped out of an ipod, the K701 is uninspiring. I can't even appreciate the bass. The soundstage is congested, very little instrument separation, the highs become tizzy.

Compare my impressions above with that of Joeoboe's review and you'll get the answers to your questions. Yes the compass will improve your listening session with the K701, as the K701 is not meant to be used unamped.
smily_headphones1.gif

In all honesty, the K701 will improve with most amps, but it will synergize more with some amps, and reject the rest. I find that it is a very tricky headphone to pair an amp with. I tried it with a LD MKIII, didn't like it. I've tried the K701 with a Beta 22 (loved it) and the soundstage as I remembered became cavernous and massive, Im guessing the compass amp can scale the K701 to some extent, as described in the review
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #3,757 of 7,725
My personal thought about 701, as I once owned them and used them both with ZERO and Shanling PH100, I never found either of the amp give them big bass, unless you EQ them. With the ZERO it sounded big only because it was flabby and extended, while the Shanling made it tighter and gave it good shape - Yes the Shanling also drove them well.. I know this has nothing to do with Compass or how 701 would sound with it, in my opinion this might be the inherent quality of 701.. but it is my personal feeling that with Compass it would be the same effect as Shanling, better or worse I wouldn't be able to say..

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #3,758 of 7,725
I could bet some serious money that going Zune80>Compass will make you don't believe what you're hearing (maybe make you cry) if you're already satisfied with your K701.
icon10.gif

The difference from my soundcard to Zero was big, and Zero to Compass was even bigger, much more bass, details, soundstage, etc...

Moon has larger soundstage than Earth, and both with Compass should be a major improvement from what you're using right now.

Some people say burn in is placebo but I think the sound is changing yet, in a good way - so you don't have to worry.

winzzz, I had no opportunity to test Sun yet, but there are people here who tried both v1 and v2, it is buried somewhere. From what I know it has characteristics that I really don't want with my K701.
k701smile.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #3,759 of 7,725
Maj actually has done a complete comparison of all Audio-gd HDAMs in great detail. He has even gone further to compare them to Burr Brown OpAmps and so on. Yes, there are lots of comparisons in this forum, not just in this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/aud...-v-2-a-397691/

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #3,760 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for the Canadians here that have purchased Audio-GD products. Did you get charged for brokerage/PST/GST?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

It's all up to chance I think.

Peete.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #3,762 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well going back to your original question.........

I think the review being pointed out by mbd adequately and sufficiently answers the questions regarding the K701 and the compass.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the K701. Stocked and unamped out of an ipod, the K701 is uninspiring. I can't even appreciate the bass. The soundstage is congested, very little instrument separation, the highs become tizzy.

Compare my impressions above with that of Joeoboe's review and you'll get the answers to your questions. Yes the compass will improve your listening session with the K701, as the K701 is not meant to be used unamped.
smily_headphones1.gif

The internal amp of the Zune 80 is actually pretty impressive. Bass with the k701 has a lot of impact and I can drive the sound to an uncomfortable level. Hearing them out of my Zune 80, I actually have trouble believing that people consider the k701 bass-shy. Only the low bass is a little thin. Otherwise it's nearly perfect. From what I've read the iPods internal amp isn't nearly as good, so I would expect it to sound unimpressive.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #3,763 of 7,725
Quote:

The internal amp of the Zune 80 is actually pretty impressive. Bass with the k701 has a lot of impact and I can drive the sound to an uncomfortable level. Hearing them out of my Zune 80, I actually have trouble believing that people consider the k701 bass-shy. Only the low bass is a little thin. Otherwise it's nearly perfect. From what I've read the iPods internal amp isn't nearly as good, so I would expect it to sound unimpressive.

Zune 80 driving 701 to uncomfortable level, does not always mean it is driving it well, it can also mean actually the amp in Zune is beginning to clip and a lot of distortion adds in giving the bassy feeling.. just my personal impressions because I found 701 really a difficult HP to drive and drive cleanly..

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #3,764 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zune 80 driving 701 to uncomfortable level, does not always mean it is driving it well, it can also mean actually the amp in Zune is beginning to clip and a lot of distortion adds in giving the bassy feeling.. just my personal impressions because I found 701 really a difficult HP to drive and drive cleanly..

I don't notice any clipping. I just meant it can be driven very loud,; louder than I care to listen. All frequencies raise proportionally with increased volume and I only hear bass when it is present in the recording.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #3,765 of 7,725
Quote:

I don't notice any clipping. I just meant it can be driven very loud,; louder than I care to listen. All frequencies raise proportionally with increased volume and I only hear bass when it is present in the recording.

Then I have to say my assumption was wrong, because you are the one listening.. it was a little hard for me to believe that Zune 80 could drive a beast like 701 well.. but then anythings possible !!..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back