The Astell & Kern AK240
May 27, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #3,406 of 9,131
To kh600rr, Saraguie, and kkcc, thank you, thank you, you are the best! I've tried cable changing (bought a dock) different USB port, 2 resets back to factory settings, smaller files, changing folder names, wow what an ordeal. Sometimes, smooth and then 2 hours of inability to load.  Saraguie has an interesting idea: opening the folder (arrow down); I haven't been doing that. But I just created a folder "Yo Yo Ma", dragged my entire folder from iTunes (AIFF & Mp4) over and no problem! One of you fixed it :wink:)
Will try more tomorrow and hopefully won't have to pester again. Wish the 240 didn't sound so phenomenal, I'd give up and do an iPod Classic!

May 27, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #3,407 of 9,131
  Same here, I use the Intruder with my RWAK120S (felt the stock 120 hp out didn't do 1+2 justice). With the RWAK240, the 1+2 sounded excellent (especially with balanced out) and I don't think mandates an portable amp unless you want to change the sound signature.

Ok, that's good to know. It would be cool to have an all-in-one DAP that can do the 1+2 justice. Do you use your Audeze's directly into the RWAK240 balanced output as well? 

May 27, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #3,408 of 9,131
Yes, my 240 drives the LCD XC from the balanced out quite well. IMO, the sound is clean or a bit clinical out of the stock modded cable. Waiting for the DHC cable to see if it pairs even better.

May 27, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #3,409 of 9,131
  Mac or Windows? Using Android File Transfer? I really ant to solve my transfer problem-the 240 sound is so incredible...once I get some music!

Mac...using the Android Apps.  No problem so far and very easy to use.

May 27, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #3,410 of 9,131
  Wow- 40! I can't do 2! I must be doing something incorrectly, but I can't imagine what. Perhaps in the folder creation with individual names? Should I skip that and just drag to one "Music Folder"? Why could I be so glitchy? A question to: I am attempting to drag and drop AIFF and Mp4 along with Flac and DSD. Any problem there?

No.  You have all the freedom to create your music folder(s) and sub folder(s) by tapping the +folder icon on the right upper corner and you'd have your new folder.

As long as those formats that AK accepts you can drag and drop (I have a mix of Flac, Wav, Dsf, Dff, MP3) in my AK, not a single problem so far.

May 27, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #3,411 of 9,131
Maybe try another cable or usb port, and try not perform other tasks on your computer when it is transferring. I have had issues transferring larger batches of files from my usb hdd to ak240 on my win7 PC and the problem went away when I moved the usb hdd to another usb port not running off the same host controller.

Time to get a MacBook Pro la LOL!

May 27, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #3,412 of 9,131
Time to get a MacBook Pro la LOL!

Only when they come to their senses and give me my matte screen option!!! I have had 3 generations of mbp and only stopped buying them when they decided everything should be glossy!

Haven't got any intention to hook my 240 with my mba as it only has a puny 64g disk and no sd slot :frowning2:

May 27, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #3,415 of 9,131
In addition to other suggestions already mentioned... I think it will depend if you are running Windows 7 32 or 64 bit same with Windows 8.  It's also a function of how much "on-board" memory you have.  More memory, allows the machine to temporarily store (cache) more information.  Don't get all caught up with the Apples and Oranges debate lol.

Sincerely,
Speedracer1

May 27, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #3,416 of 9,131
  I haven't got to test out a lot of phone/iem combinations with the RWAK yet. it's just starting to run in (about 200 hrs). Did a brief comparison on LCD X and AKG K3003 with RWAK240 and touch/Onkyo player/Hugo side by side:

Software:

Opus DSD Showcase #3 - various tracks
Scheherazade DSD rip - track 4 Festival in Bagdad
Michel Jonasz - La fabuleuse histoire de mister swing 1644 wav- Disc 2 track 2 Le temps passe

RWAK 240 balanced hp out > LCD X (2.5mm balanced modified stock cable) 

Coherent and eurythmic, details in abundance, great instrument separation with an upfront presentation, excellent speed and attack.

Hugo > LCD X (6.3mm stock cable)

Different presentation than 240 - details are spread wider and deeper into the stage, instruments scale larger with a touch better body and decay than 240. Very musical but with speed and attack when called for.

With the LCD X, I favour the Hugo and agree that it's a match that is hard to beat.

With AKG K3003, the gap narrows up between the 2 units, both pairs really with it. The RWAK has a slightly more upfront, highly resolving and exciting signature ; whereas, Hugo is more relaxed and musical. My preference here will really depend on my mood and setting.

(Side note: Some early reviews just in from highly regarded sources in high-end audio trade praising the AK240/balanced Uber/Tralucent Ref. 1 pairing. I'll report back when i can get hold of a pair from spkrs01. I heard the stock is going really fast last time we met.)

IMO, whether you want to add a portable amp to the RWAK 240 will really depend on the phones you want to use, e.g. My ear cannot agree with TH900 straight out of the RWAK, but if you add a ASPT05/T06 in the chain the 900 will take a 180 turn. If you pick the right phones, adding an portable amp may only have a very marginal benefit. (Different story with higher quality desktop amp though)

I bought the RWAK mainly as standalone player and to try out as a source for the Hugo so I did't get the "s" version with true line out. For me, as an all in one player, RWAK 240 is the best I heard in the market right now with quality body to match. 

Cheers.

Holeout,

A very sincere "thank you" for sharing your view with respect to these two current "state of the art" players and the SQ improvements with the RWAK240.  I was wondering exactly what modified balanced 2.5mm stock cable you used to conduct your listening tests?  How was it modified?  

Second question: Have you heard the HD800 and ever compared it to the LCD X?  

Third question: Do you think the RWAK240 could easily drive (to high volume) either the HD800 or LCD X cans?

Final question: Do you find a SQ difference between the 3.5mm unbalanced and the 2.5mm balanced output?  Could you please describe?

Thank you in advance,
Sincerely,
Speedracer1. 

May 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #3,417 of 9,131
Originally Posted by holeout /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(Side note: Some early reviews just in from highly regarded sources in high-end audio trade praising the AK240/balanced Uber/Tralucent Ref. 1 pairing. I'll report back when i can get hold of a pair from spkrs01. I heard the stock is going really fast last time we met.)

I heard about this, it is insane! Makes me want to buy AK240 too...
frown.gif

May 28, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #3,420 of 9,131
That cable is so expensive.... Over 1k..

Yes, considering I dont even have an AK240.... I am so far from end game portable...

regarding the uber cable, a friend is gonna lend me his this weekend for a week.In exchange, I am gonna lend him my Ref 1 so to spread the love for these awesome iems..considering the price of uber, my expectation is Siltech grade... report back after more listening next week..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back