The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 13, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #2,328 of 9,131
Yeh, Seafood looks good
blink.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #2,329 of 9,131

Ok I have just updated mine to v1.09 too and tested one of the free DXD 24-bit/352.8kHz file from 2L website (Vivaldi: Recitative and Aria from Cantata RV 679, "Che giova il sospirar, povero core" Tone Wik & Barokkanerne (period instruments) from the album Bellezza Crudel - VIVALDI (2L-056 SACD)). It refuses to play previously in v1.08 and earlier firmwares.

It plays! Wow... very nice indeed. Now if only I can get my hands on a 32-bit WAV file to test. Do those exist? And I can now do a side-by-side comparison between DSD vs DXD quality playback on AK240 (although I think the DXD could be down sampled like what the firmware patch note says). 
happy_face1.gif

How do you register with these guys? They need an email and password but can't see any way of setting an 'account' up.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #2,333 of 9,131
As an additional comment regarding the 10,000 song limit, for those who are interested, you can now be rest assured that those with 15k, 20k or larger libraries of tracks will find that they are sorted within the albums, artists, and genres sections of the UI. I too, as the earlier poster to this forum, still found a limit of 10,000 tracks in playlists.

Thus, if you open the Songs section of the UI and you have 15k or 20k tracks, you will not be able to chose one of the listed songs and have it play. By choosing a song in this manner, the player has to create a playlist of the total number of songs and with the 10,000 song limit, the end result of trying to play a track in this way is that the player freezes or blacks out or, in the very least, the song will remain highlighted for a few seconds and nothing will happen.

This is unfortunate for someone like myself who desires to shuffle play his entire library. Unlike other players several times less costly, the AK240 cannot perform the simple task of shuffling an entire large library (Of course those other players are not of the overall quality of the AK240 either).

The same problem will occur when using the Play All option in the Genres section of the UI. If the genre you are trying to Play All under contains more than 10K songs, this problem will occur and the genre will not play. Note though that as with artist or album listings, you can go into a specific artist within the genre and play that music just fine.

Hopefully this is something that can be corrected going forward with an update.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #2,334 of 9,131

I have read a number of posts regarding the 240 and lack of customer support and would like to add my 2 cents.  I have a new 240.
Firstly I purchased a 120 from Ted Allen of headphonelounge.com (authorized dealer in Oregon) about a month ago and had an issue with the unit not charging from my new computers USB.  Actually the issue was that the unit was dead after only downloading 10 albums from HD Tracks and listening for about 3 or 4 hours.  Charging from my USB didn’t help.

Fortunately I live a few miles from the importer Iriver, here in Orange County, CA, and was able to drive over to their office in Irvine.  I was met at the door by Jimmy Moon an enthusiastic young chap who quickly upgraded the OS and started charging procedures… from his computers USB.  Apparently nothing wrong; I was simply charging from a “low” powered USB on my computer and upon the return to my home I was able to get the unit fully charged.  Jimmy indicated that the quickest way to charge the unit was from an Apple 110 volt to USB wall wart.  One came with one of my Apple products so I was set.  Kudos to Jimmy for not teasing me about my lack of technical sophistication.

As much as I was impressed with the 120 I decided to sell it through this forum (with the help of a friend with much feedback).  Monday this week the 240 arrived (thanks again Ted) and it was quickly loaded with music.  After hot swapping several of my ear devices the unit died and nothing seemed to help.  It was like I’d hit some hidden mute button.  No sound, nada!  I was less than happy and after consultation with Ted and Jimmy it was suggested that if I took the 240 in to Iriver they would swap it out for a new one.

Yesterday I took the unit in and lo and behold it worked perfectly.  Boy, did I feel like an idiot.  The only thing that we could come up with was that hot swapping from the stereo headphone output was probably not a good idea.  Apparently there is a known issue with hot swapping from the balanced output but not with regular stereo out.

So, in terms of customer service I would like to advise that I have nothing but excellence to report, bearing in mind I can jump on one of my motorcycles to navigate LA’s traffic and be at Iriver in 20 minutes.  For those less fortunate here’s how to avoid the never answered Iriver phone… Jimmy’s direct # is [DELETED BY MOD. PLEASE DON'T DISCLOSE PHONE NUMBERS ON THE FORUMS].

Cheers, and happy listening,
Alan

Dear Alan

Glad you've had more success than I reaching Iriver in California

I've dialed their number probably 30 times at every time of the day or night and all you get is an unanswered ring
I've tried by phone, by magicjack, and by Skype all without success
Since you can't post that number can you send it to me by private message please
Im interested in buying an AK240 but Im certainly not going to buy from people I cant reach and talk to by phone and where my emails are not responded to when I ask them simple tech questions
So please do pm me that number ' Ill be exceedingly glad to reach Mr Moon directly

Thanks

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #2,335 of 9,131

Dear Alan

Glad you've had more success than I reaching Iriver in California

I've dialed their number probably 30 times at every time of the day or night and all you get is an unanswered ring
I've tried by phone, by magicjack, and by Skype all without success
Since you can't post that number can you send it to me by private message please
Im interested in buying an AK240 but Im certainly not going to buy from people I cant reach and talk to by phone and where my emails are not responded to when I ask them simple tech questions
So please do pm me that number ' Ill be exceedingly glad to reach Mr Moon directly

Thanks

Alan is no longer on these forums. You can PM Jimmy here though.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #2,337 of 9,131
  As an additional comment regarding the 10,000 song limit, for those who are interested, you can now be rest assured that those with 15k, 20k or larger libraries of tracks will find that they are sorted within the albums, artists, and genres sections of the UI. I too, as the earlier poster to this forum, still found a limit of 10,000 tracks in playlists.

Thus, if you open the Songs section of the UI and you have 15k or 20k tracks, you will not be able to chose one of the listed songs and have it play. By choosing a song in this manner, the player has to create a playlist of the total number of songs and with the 10,000 song limit, the end result of trying to play a track in this way is that the player freezes or blacks out or, in the very least, the song will remain highlighted for a few seconds and nothing will happen.

This is unfortunate for someone like myself who desires to shuffle play his entire library. Unlike other players several times less costly, the AK240 cannot perform the simple task of shuffling an entire large library (Of course those other players are not of the overall quality of the AK240 either).

The same problem will occur when using the Play All option in the Genres section of the UI. If the genre you are trying to Play All under contains more than 10K songs, this problem will occur and the genre will not play. Note though that as with artist or album listings, you can go into a specific artist within the genre and play that music just fine.

Hopefully this is something that can be corrected going forward with an update.

The UK/France distributor wrote in earlier pages that there is no 10,000 limit. So you have found that there is?

When loading my music with my MAC via Android File Transfer after about 25 folders/albums transferred I was having difficulty transferring. First of all the screen filled and I could not find a blank space to paste, so the folder I transferred would go into an existing folder. The Beatles inside the Foo Fighters.  Then folders would not transfer at all, and I'd get a 'screen lock' error message and the transfer app would shut down.  After fooling around a bit, I could transfer individual songs and they would copy into all different folders. So that there is no organization at all when looking at the files on the computer.   After constant connecting the AK getting disconnected or disconnecting and reconnecting, I finally could start transferring whole artist folders with multiple album/folders again............

I think its Traffic's folder which has, 20 Artist folders with multiple albums inside each folder and about 100 individual tracks of different artists and albums.

Anyone else having difficulties using a MAC to get music onto the AK240?  FYI, no problem when I loaded the 120.  Jimmy Moon please???????

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #2,338 of 9,131
  The UK/France distributor wrote in earlier pages that there is no 10,000 limit. So you have found that there is?

When loading my music with my MAC via Android File Transfer after about 25 folders/albums transferred I was having difficulty transferring. First of all the screen filled and I could not find a blank space to paste, so the folder I transferred would go into an existing folder. The Beatles inside the Foo Fighters.  Then folders would not transfer at all, and I'd get a 'screen lock' error message and the transfer app would shut down.  After fooling around a bit, I could transfer individual songs and they would copy into all different folders. So that there is no organization at all when looking at the files on the computer.   After constant connecting the AK getting disconnected or disconnecting and reconnecting, I finally could start transferring whole artist folders with multiple album/folders again............

I think its Traffic's folder which has, 20 Artist folders with multiple albums inside each folder and about 100 individual tracks of different artists and albums.

Anyone else having difficulties using a MAC to get music onto the AK240?  FYI, no problem when I loaded the 120.  Jimmy Moon please???????

Hi all,

Just for clarification surrounding the 10,000 song limit for the AK240:

There is a 10k track limitation in one page, for example if you go to “All music”, it can list up to 10k max.
But there is no limitation for library scanning. That means if you put 20k tracks in the internal and external memory, it can sort all of them and list up each Albums, Artists and Genres. 
Also there is always the search function which can look through your entire music collection any time.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2,339 of 9,131
>>Originally Posted by Saraguie 

The UK/France distributor wrote in earlier pages that there is no 10,000 limit. So you have found that there is?<<

I don't see a limitation in the number of tracks that one can add to the device which will then be sorted by tag in the usual albums, artists and genres categories. This works fine.
The problem is that when you want to select a song after pressing the songs button from the home screen, the AK240 wants to add all the songs listed there as part of an on the fly playlist.
(This also happens when you select a song from an album, for example. If you then press the playlist button on the now playing screen, you will see that all songs from that album have been added into the currently playing playlist).

So, if you have over 10,000 songs on the AK240, when you then select a song to play from that listing that appears when you press Songs from the home screen, the song will not play and the device may even crash. This is because all of the songs there are now added to a playlist the size of which the AK240 can't handle, apparently.
As this is the only way I could see of possibly trying to shuffle play my entire library, and since my library well exceeds 10K songs, the AK240 is unable to shuffle play my entire library. I am forced to choose from artists or albums or genres that have less than 10K tracks.

Given that the large amount of memory in the AK240 welcomes large libraries, it is a shame it can't properly handle them, at least not when trying to shuffle certain large collections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back