The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2,341 of 9,131
Mar 13, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,342 of 9,131
Are you guys finding any aftermarket specific programs that are used to load and organize music on the AK-240?

There are plenty of options such as Mediamonkey that you can use to sync/organize music on the AK-240!  (As far as I know) most of the popular media players have this functionality.  From past experience, Mediamonkey has more functionality than wmp/itunes. 

Could also try using Foobar, but you may need a plugin.

EDIT:
  Question: How do I put album art to a folder of Flac files? Tried a few tagging programs on Mac and none of them seem to be able to embed images. Also tried puting the image into the folder named "cover.jpg" but still the art is not displaying.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
-OR-
http://www.mediamonkey.com/  XD

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #2,343 of 9,131
  Question: How do I put album art to a folder of Flac files? Tried a few tagging programs on Mac and none of them seem to be able to embed images. Also tried puting the image into the folder named "cover.jpg" but still the art is not displaying.

I use a program named Yate on my macbook air to tag all of my flac files for transfer to the AK240.  It works perfectly and all 20,000 of my flac files have been tagged and organized flawlessly.  It is the best program there is for tagging.

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,345 of 9,131
  I use a program named Yate on my macbook air to tag all of my flac files for transfer to the AK240.  It works perfectly and all 20,000 of my flac files have been tagged and organized flawlessly.  It is the best program there is for tagging.

Have you transferred all those to your 240 already? I run out of area in the Android program to put folders, so have to create folders on my MAC first before transferring over. Double work really. I'll check out Yate out too. Thanks

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,347 of 9,131
I've never used Yate on my MacBook Air, but I'm particularly fond of Kid3 which is open source. Unfortunately, it does not tag DSD files, so I bought Tag from the Apple App Store for this purpose. I then learned that the .dff files that are included with the AK240 cannot be edited by Tag—it only works on .dsf files. Hopefully Kid3 is updated for .dsf, .dff, and DXD files since it is a great tag editor.

By the way, so far I'm not having any of the issues of missing album art that I had with my AK120. Apparently, the AK240 can read .png files in addition to jpeg.

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #2,348 of 9,131
I just auditioned the AK240 at my local headphone shop. 

First impressions: Strong everything. Holy !@#$!! It's SOOO much smaller and more compact then pictures depict it to be.

To me it looked like a brick in pictures, but if you see it in person it's really small. Thickness = slightly above 2 iphone 5's stacked. Shorter then iphone 5. A bit wider. Overall my Theorem 720+iphone stack made this thing look like a pebble and that's just awesome that you can get such high fidelity without having to stack 3 devices together. The AK240 will fit in the tightest of jean pockets easily. 

Touchscreen sensitivity is flawless unlike 98% of Android devices I have used (S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, Moto X, HTC One, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7). I used to be into tweaking (XDA) with overclocks, kernel/governor tweaks etc.The UI fluidity and touchscreen sensitivity is SURPRISINGLY on par with ios/WP8. I've never seen this from an android device before. I attribute it to the fact that there's NO bloatware whatsoever, unlike the Sony ZX1. I strongly suspect the AK240 OS modules/skin on top of Android is coded in native language, as opposed to running Java in a VM which is how many third party apps on Android are handled. TL:DR it's fast, snappy and with smooth transition animations. No perceivable frame drops/micro stutter/micro lags. However keep in mind I didn't do much vertical scrolling, which is where Android tends to drop frames the most in my extensive experience. 

We tried Bluetooth pairing as follows:

-Pair with Android phone (Note 3): first try, flawless. You can do mobile hotspot and feed internet from your phone to AK240 via Bluetooth.

-Pair with iPhone 5 (one on ios7.1, one on 7.0.4): both devices get the pair request, but can not connect. Tried everything I could think of, multiple reboots on both devices, factory reset both devices(the store owner had done this before in his attempts to pair them), update firmware on AK240, pair/unpair over and over. 

-Pair with Pebble 1 Smartwatch: pairs perfectly, but can't control music from the Pebble for some reason. I strongly suspect this can be addressed with a firmware upgrade on the AK240 if A&K decide to do so. 

It's STUPID expensive but I understand why now. I am more than likely getting one. I suggest if you're on the fence about buying one, try it in store if you have the opportunity. Pictures don't do this device justice. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #2,349 of 9,131
  Have you transferred all those to your 240 already? I run out of area in the Android program to put folders, so have to create folders on my MAC first before transferring over. Double work really. I'll check out Yate out too. Thanks

I've transferred about 220 GBs over so far.  Yes, the android transfer program is a pain; it was so much easier to transfer music to the AK120 through mac's finder.  But I guess that is one of the drawbacks to the Android interface.  I too had to manually create some folders on my mac before transferring them over.  It took longer, but in the end it is worth it being able to carry almost 256 GBs of my music with me, plus another 128 GBs once my microSD card arrives.  I remember at how amazed I was when I got my first archos mp3 player back in the day, it was a brick and almost weighed as much as one, and it only held a whopping 6 GBs of music.  That was state of the art at the time.  

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,353 of 9,131
I can make 90 degree 2.5mm balanced to RSA Balanced mini cable.
I have metal machines & 3D Printer..hehe..

I'm getting a pair of Audeze LCD-XCs on Monday; can you make an adapter that will work with the Audeze supplied balanced cable?

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #2,354 of 9,131

I'm getting a pair of Audeze LCD-XCs on Monday; can you make an adapter that will work with the Audeze supplied balanced cable?

Oh, yes..
I'm already prepare full balanced adater like as LEGO Block.
It will attach both 2.5 & 3.5 at same time (because of GND)
and, It will be out two mini XLR or two XLR output.. (L+,L-, GND) (R+, R-,GND)

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,355 of 9,131

Oh, yes..
I'm already prepare full balanced adater like as LEGO Block.
It will attach both 2.5 & 3.5 at same time (because of GND)
and, It will be out two mini XLR or two XLR output.. (L+,L-, GND) (R+, R-,GND)

OK, good to know. How much would you charge? Also, any chance you could post a picture of it after you're done making it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back