The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 7, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #8,251 of 9,131
I have the AK240 and undergone 3 iterations of new firmware. The first caused the unit to click and pop on certain songs when using BT and the equalizer function. The second flattened the music and denigrated the wonderful spacial features which is the entire reason for Hi-Res music and nearly ruined the BT distance. The third restored the spacial qualities -even making it better and the BT has been extended however I still get clicking and popping on certain songs. For a $2500 audio device this is unacceptable. Some may say the cure is using wired earbuds. I have the Shure $1000 and Westone 4's but the cure for BT is the tiny Bright Tech transmitter/receiver and the 11 hour LG HSB-900 ...the best sound so far and dirt cheap. This provides flawless BT, extreme comfort and full range sound! Beat that!

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #8,252 of 9,131

Damn, guess I'll have to shoot them an email then. Thanks!

I too, wanted to revert to the pre "AK Connect" FW. I contacted iRiver support and was told the only way to do this, is to send the 240 back for servicing. I have to decide whether the effort would be worth it. It's discouraging that a simple FW reversion is so complicated.

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #8,253 of 9,131
  What is your reason to downgrade the firmware update? 

I prefer the previous UI.

Quote:

I too, wanted to revert to the pre "AK Connect" FW. I contacted iRiver support and was told the only way to do this, is to send the 240 back for servicing. I have to decide whether the effort would be worth it. It's discouraging that a simple FW reversion is so complicated.

Good to know and agreed that its discouraging such a simple change is so difficult for them to implement.

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #8,254 of 9,131
The reason is simple. Why should a $2500.00 audio player that has had several firmware updates,  and for unknown reasond sounds better using cheap LQ HSB-900 Bluetooth earbuds have such a problem rendering clean, flawless BT from its own internal circuitry, when the addition of a $29.00 (or as little as a $16) device render it without flaws? That is plainly ridiculous! I wrote this both to voice my discontent and to inform others that using a $29 small rechargeable Bluetooth transmitter/receiver both sounds better than FitEarToGo 334, Shure 895's and Westone W4's, when paired with $45 LQ-HSB-900 BT 11 hour earbuds! It's incredibly hard to believe...and I am only a novice audiophile...not in the business.

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #8,255 of 9,131
That said, I buy only Hi-Res music and find it odd that the makers of the AK240 specifically recommend denigeated/lessor res music for using the built in Bluetooth transmitter! The sound I get now is spacious...as desired, like standing in the middle of the band - for that...thanks AK!

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #8,256 of 9,131
deadhorse.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #8,261 of 9,131
  Massdrop has an AK240 listing up, but like the last one, I expect AK to deny the price.

Doing a Massdrop isn't really consistent with Astell & Kern's branding.  I'd be surprised if they do it.

But I'm frequently wrong about such things. 
smile.gif

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #8,262 of 9,131
This might have been covered already, if so i apologize. I went out on a quest to find an easier way to transfer files from a Mac to my AK240. It was a long process but i finally have something that works for me anyway. I have been using commander one pro. Its around $30.00 but its not that hard to get a 50% off coupon.  Perhaps it would be best posted another place. If you do use the process and find corrections/improvements let me know and i will update the instructions. 

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #8,263 of 9,131
I really like AK Connect since I use my 240SS as a server into my Hugo for my speaker system. The one problem I have is when I choose my iPhone as the source from the app library, my songs play but there is a stutter at the beginning of each song. If I choose my 240SS as my source in the app, no stutter on any of my songs, including the 250GB worth of hi res titles.

Is there anybody else who uses AK Connect that has this issue? I'm hoping it is a problem with the AK Connect app and an update will remedy this annoying issue.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #8,264 of 9,131
I really like AK Connect since I use my 240SS as a server into my Hugo for my speaker system. The one problem I have is when I choose my iPhone as the source from the app library, my songs play but there is a stutter at the beginning of each song. If I choose my 240SS as my source in the app, no stutter on any of my songs, including the 250GB worth of hi res titles.

Is there anybody else who uses AK Connect that has this issue? I'm hoping it is a problem with the AK Connect app and an update will remedy this annoying issue.

I love the AK Connect as I can now control my 240 when stacked with my Hugo in my carrying bag. I run it on my Samsung Note5 and never had any stutter or freeze. I must say I had been quite impressed. It improved the usability of my Hugo stack 10 fold... now if only we can also control the columns of the Hugo remotely.... (I know, we can't)

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #8,265 of 9,131
I love the AK Connect as I can now control my 240 when stacked with my Hugo in my carrying bag. I run it on my Samsung Note5 and never had any stutter or freeze. I must say I had been quite impressed. It improved the usability of my Hugo stack 10 fold... now if only we can also control the columns of the Hugo remotely.... (I know, we can't)

Thank you for your reply, kkcc.

Are you playing any files on your Samsung or just the 240? The problem I'm having is playing songs from my iPhone—that's when I get a stutter at the beginning of a song. It could be a cache issue on my iPhone since I have a GB of free space, but I get a warning on the iPhone that I'm almost out of space when using it as the source for the AK app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back