The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 27, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #8,221 of 9,131
  Guys I had an AK240 for about year and a half, but had to sell it to fund some other stuff. Right before my decision I was going to get some JH Audio Angie Customs. Now I am able to get back in the game and need another high resolution audio player and will probably get my Angie customs. Is the AK240 still a good pair with the Angie, or should I move on to something newer? 

Thanks!

I am not one of these people that look at pairings per-say. I find things I like the sound sig of and thats that. There are many TOTL CIEM's to choose from, without being able to test, you just need to read up and decide.

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #8,223 of 9,131
  Does it seem more stable than AFT?

Did a little testing this afternoon with the Wondershare programs. Bottom line, slow transfer, but very stable for me. Using Wondershare MobileGo, I copied 64.64 GB to the SD Card in my AK100 II. It took 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete the transfer without any issues. During that time, I used the Mac to read the Head-Fi forums and other things. Very stable file transfer. I then copied about 52 GB of additional music to the same 128 GB SD Card in the AK100 II using Wondershare MobileTrans. It took 2 and a half hours to complete without any issues. During this transfer, in addition to using routine Internet browsing, I also started a 246 GB file copy from the same external drive to a usb 2.0 SSD. Both copies continued without issue.

Very stable performance in my opinion. Both of the Wondershare programs were Free Trial Versions. Slow but sure performance.

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #8,224 of 9,131
That's good news.  This is slightly off topic, but when I need to reload about 180Gb of music back into my AK380 Cu after the trade in, the whole thing took me 4 days on and off.  Why?  Because even with Win10 and MTP mode for the AK, the files will often fail to copy over for no reason, then windows will force you to skip them to continue.  So I have no choice but to go back and forth hunting down missing files after each transfer.

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #8,225 of 9,131
That's good news.  This is slightly off topic, but when I need to reload about 180Gb of music back into my AK380 Cu after the trade in, the whole thing took me 4 days on and off.  Why?  Because even with Win10 and MTP mode for the AK, the files will often fail to copy over for no reason, then windows will force you to skip them to continue.  So I have no choice but to go back and forth hunting down missing files after each transfer.

Ouch!

I just burned 7 CDs, copied on an additional 6 albums, copied off AK to MAC, reorganized, copied back files to the AK....only going between MAC & AK...... Not one error.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #8,226 of 9,131
Ouch!

I just burned 7 CDs, copied on an additional 6 albums, copied off AK to MAC, reorganized, copied back files to the AK....only going between MAC & AK...... Not one error.

It was your lucky day. I've had days like that too as well as days where it takes an hour to move a few files to my 240. Must be all that great weather where you live.

wink_face.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #8,227 of 9,131
It was your lucky day. I've had days like that too as well as days where it takes an hour to move a few files to my 240. Must be all that great weather where you live.

:wink_face:  

I'm afraid to post it but here goes. Except at the very beginning, trying to copy music to the wrong directory, and sometimes having to disconnect and reconnect when first starting AFT, I've had no problems. The inner memory is full and I have a 200gb card which is 60% full.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #8,228 of 9,131

Did a little testing this afternoon with the Wondershare programs. Bottom line, slow transfer, but very stable for me. Using Wondershare MobileGo, I copied 64.64 GB to the SD Card in my AK100 II. It took 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete the transfer without any issues. During that time, I used the Mac to read the Head-Fi forums and other things. Very stable file transfer. I then copied about 52 GB of additional music to the same 128 GB SD Card in the AK100 II using Wondershare MobileTrans. It took 2 and a half hours to complete without any issues. During this transfer, in addition to using routine Internet browsing, I also started a 246 GB file copy from the same external drive to a usb 2.0 SSD. Both copies continued without issue.

Very stable performance in my opinion. Both of the Wondershare programs were Free Trial Versions. Slow but sure performance.

Thank you for your reply. That's amazing that you could do all of the above testing, with a demo! I'll definitely install it on my Mac and see if Wondershare solves my transfer problems.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #8,229 of 9,131
  The 240 sale on ebay got positive feedback, good to see the sale was legit. Now I am bummed I didn't try and snag it at $1000, could have sold it for more.

your loss my gain......The player is as good as new, six months old but seller said he used only for few hrs. Also icing on the cake it comes with tons of awesome music loaded.

Thanks for sharing the ebay link

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #8,230 of 9,131
I'm afraid to post it but here goes. Except at the very beginning, trying to copy music to the wrong directory, and sometimes having to disconnect and reconnect when first starting AFT, I've had no problems. The inner memory is full and I have a 200gb card which is 60% full.

Curious if you're using FW 1.33? If you're current on both your Mac (10.11.3) and AK, then that pretty much points to a hardware problem on my end or some background process that I'm not aware of. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #8,231 of 9,131
I've transferred TONS of music to and from my AK's (120II + 240) without a single hitch on Windows 10. It's MTP, so it's got a one-track mind. You can start copying several folders with several files, but it'll only let you run one transfer job at a time. So while it's copying, you can't start browsing the contents of the AK or start a new transfer. Keep that in mind and there should be zero bugs transferring files from Windows to AK 

Cheers from your friendly audiophile sysadmin! 
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #8,232 of 9,131

Curious if your using FW 1.33? If you're current on both your Mac (10.11.3) and AK, then that pretty much points to a hardware problem on my end or some background process that I'm not aware of. 

I'm still on FW 1.15 and 10.11.3 on the MBP.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #8,233 of 9,131

your loss my gain......The player is as good as new, six months old but seller said he used only for few hrs. Also icing on the cake it comes with tons of awesome music loaded.

Thanks for sharing the ebay link

Not really a loss for me, but I am glad someone here got it and the sale was legit. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #8,234 of 9,131
Curious if you're using FW 1.33? If you're current on both your Mac (10.11.3) and AK, then that pretty much points to a hardware problem on my end or some background process that I'm not aware of. 

My tests were run with FW 1.33 (AK240 and AK100ii use the same FW version/features) and OS X version. I have been using SyncMate Expert to load my AK240 and AK100ii since it worked better than AFT. My experience has always been that any attempt at multitasking resulted in failure. So I would let it transfer over night while I slept. I would have reported that FW 1.33 did seem to improve file transfer stability and speed, but there are just too many variables that can effect the process to make my experience applicable to what others will find.

I am impressed enough with the Wondershare applications that I will most likely change to one of them rather than pay for the next SyncMate upgrade. Give the Wondershare free trials at try and see how they work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back