The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 8, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #1,771 of 9,131

The UI show good response time, but I find it not to the level of the Calyx !  

--> Am I the only one not convinced by the AK240's UI & play list management, and finding that it show a lot of wasted Screen real estate ? 

I can't say I'm sold on the Calyx based on the CES video vs Jude's video.  The Calyx guy looked like he was struggling to keep the Calyx moving screen to screen.  Maybe he had frozen fingers from being in the desert in January, who knows.  Based on Jude's demo and his comments, I think you may need to re-look at things.  I'm a horrible rookie and have zero experience allegiance, but AK look formidable IMHO.

There is clearly a difference between the 2 IU.  Jude also stated he thought AK was more intuitive.  I think there will be more user preference.  Maybe like android vs apple preference.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #1,772 of 9,131
Yeah i think the Ak240 UI looks great, better than the Calyx M. I am however more likely to buy the Calyx based on it's anticipated SQ vs price

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,773 of 9,131
There seems to be some AK haters. Is the old Ford v Chevy type thing? Is it because people had issues with the AK120? Or is it solely the ridiculous price tag?

I don't have anything or any history so I haven't formed a bias.

It's also really hard to form solid opinions since the M isn't released yet. If I read and compare spec, watch the videos and read between the lines on this forum (oh, and don't look at the $$$). I'd say some of the AK issues have been resolved, SQ seems good (maybe in line with 901, high praise?) and the UI is quite good,

This is an exciting time with many options.

I'm thinking a separate AK240 impressions thread is needed for those who have 1st hand experience of  the product & for genuine practical questions to be asked.

My personal take is that if one is trying to justify a reason to buy the AK240, then they really should just look elsewhere. To me, it's not the kind of product that one should be looking to justify - but more like if they want it, buy it. 

IMHO, although an odd looking shape, I think it definitely attracts attention and its looks to me matches its price - i.e. it doesn't look like a cheap product for sure. Unfortunately the queue was so long for the demo that I decided to skip it.

(orange/red cable is a Wagnus balanced 2.5mm for Westone).

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,774 of 9,131

The UI show good response time, but I find it not to the level of the Calyx !  

--> Am I the only one not convinced by the AK240's UI & play list management, and finding that it show a lot of wasted Screen real estate ? 

Maybe it's just me but I saw something completely different than you when watching that Calyx video. There was defenitely some lag and at times he would try to swipe over and it would scroll up and down, or not take the command. I do like the Calyx play list management but I didn't find the AK240 to be lacking in that regard.

Are you not worried about the Calyx slider volume control? If it's just a normal slider without some sort of lock I can easily see someone sliding that into their pocket and and moving the slider to max volume, bursting your ear drums in the process.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,775 of 9,131
  Yeah i think the Ak240 UI looks great, better than the Calyx M. I am however more likely to buy the Calyx based on it's anticipated SQ vs price

May be the AK Ui is not that bad, but... I still believe that the bellow type of display of our music library, based on cover arts,  is more convenient & fun than the never ending list of files that I saw on Jude's video ! 

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #1,777 of 9,131
I'm thinking a separate AK240 impressions thread is needed for those who have 1st hand experience of  the product & for genuine practical questions to be asked.

My personal take is that if one is trying to justify a reason to buy the AK240, then they really should just look elsewhere. To me, it's not the kind of product that one should be looking to justify - but more like if they want it, buy it. 

IMHO, although an odd looking shape, I think it definitely attracts attention and its looks to me matches its price - i.e. it doesn't look like a cheap product for sure. Unfortunately the queue was so long for the demo that I decided to skip it.

Agreed but justifying the purchase is just a natural thing for a buyer, (it's a major stack of change after all). I don't know that many people who do not question their potential purchases and if you setup a separate thread for it, you still would like to ask questions about ownership, unfortunately we don't have that many opportunities to try such product short of buying it. I had a very different idea about the player but after seeing Jude's review I am revising my thinking about it and do not strike it out my potential list.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,778 of 9,131
Agreed but justifying the purchase is just a natural thing for a buyer, (it's a major stack of change after all). I don't know that many people who do not question their potential purchases and if you setup a separate thread for it, you still would like to ask questions about ownership, unfortunately we don't have that many opportunities to try such product short of buying it. I had a very different idea about the player but after seeing Jude's review I am revising my thinking about it and do not strike it out my potential list.

It's actually not a major stack if someone "just wants it" and they have the means to buy it. It's when one needs to count the pennies to justify the purchase is where I'm saying "look elsewhere".
I honestly don't think the AK240 is really for those who are coming from the bottom-top justification approach (coming from the likes of DX50's, X5's, ZX1's, AK120's, HM-901's). I think we all should already know that law of diminishing returns apply.

The justification for those is really more that someone wants it for whatever reason (to be different, to have something that looks cool, to just "go for the top and never have to wonder") and these reasons are personal which makes it good enough for him or her to buy this player, and that doesn't have to be reasoned or justified with anyone else. I see this as akin to the Vertu (but more rewarding than the Vertu).

Personally for -me- it is a large stack of $$ which I (maybe) personally can't justify. But I just move on and look at other products I can afford. I definitely don't see the need to vent my anger that it didn't meet my expectations on this thread.

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,781 of 9,131

It's actually not a major stack if someone "just wants it" and they have the means to buy it. It's when one needs to count the pennies to justify the purchase is where I'm saying "look elsewhere".
I honestly don't think the AK240 is really for those who are coming from the bottom-top justification approach (coming from the likes of DX50's, X5's, ZX1's, AK120's, HM-901's). I think we all should already know that law of diminishing returns apply.

The justification for those is really more that someone wants it for whatever reason (to be different, to have something that looks cool, to just "go for the top and never have to wonder") and these reasons are personal which makes it good enough for him or her to buy this player, and that doesn't have to be reasoned or justified with anyone else. I see this as akin to the Vertu (but more rewarding than the Vertu).

Personally for -me- it is a large stack of $$ which I (maybe) personally can't justify. But I just move on and look at other products I can afford. I definitely don't see the need to vent my anger that it didn't meet my expectations on this thread.

Its a large stack of money but I think I can rationalize it with longer term use.  Playing music on my iPhone has crippled me, can't make it through the day battery wise.  Have almost stopped playing music of late when I'm out and about.  It's gotta change with the incoming Roxanne's.  I'm interested in all the latest entries, DX 90 and 100, ZX1, AK, Calyx, X5, etc.  I'm even considering the Hugo, but I think that alters the portability.  It also doesn't help my iPhone battery issue.

I appreciate everyone help (and patience) answering my questions.  Thanks

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #1,782 of 9,131
I do not know many people who think the AK120 sounds better than the 901...you are the first I hear actually. To me it is the other way around, and by quite a margin with balanced card.

Even further, a few users who tried the AK240 think it is on par with 901 or, that the 901 still has the egde...

Well you need to hang around outside of Headfi a bit more then! Every single person I know in the HIFi press audio friends and dealers who have heard both prefer the more natural sound of the 120 as they find the 901 too exaggerated with most music. They all agree though on initial listening the 901 has more HIFi bells and whistles which lull people into thinking it is good. Don't get me wrong, it is not bad but it is not that great either to my ears and others who I have come to trust over the years!

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #1,783 of 9,131
Well you need to hang around outside of Headfi a bit more then! Every single person I know in the HIFi press audio friends and dealers who have heard both prefer the more natural sound of the 120 as they find the 901 too exaggerated with most music. They all agree though on initial listening the 901 has more HIFi bells and whistles which lull people into thinking it is good. Don't get me wrong, it is not bad but it is not that great either to my ears and others who I have come to trust over the years!
What a condescending and agressive post. Your press friends again...those who all agree. Lets drop it, not really interested in the same rant again. Back to AK240 impressions.

Oh and a piece of advice, as you seem to despise us poor amateurs on headfi, I am curious as to what you are doing here with the gullible crowd who is tantalized by the bells and whistles.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #1,784 of 9,131
Mates, i think there will never be an agreement between different gear users.
but those who crave for perfect GUI should look Apple way :p

now what i am curious is hear impressions about SQ on Ak240 vs vs vs vs vs and so forth.....

i also think we are discussing top end DAPs which sound good enough, otherwise people would not pay the asking price.

now we are in search for the best of best, not for just best.... so it makes no sense to bash AK or HM or else proven DAPs.

i admit i am almost sold on Calyx due to my addiction to the magic of true high end, i also think Calyx was showing exhibit model, not production and so hey will work out various smaller issues i hope.

now issue is if someone wants upgrade from already good DAP how much worth in SQ terms he will win with ak240 or Calyx M?

otherwise, i would be happy with any of these DAPs because they all do it right and sound right, just depends on what you looking for IMHO.

Peace and Happiness :D

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #1,785 of 9,131

Do you mean the sound is colored? I owned a J3 and it has a colored sounding which was almost unbearable to my ears. But I also know a head-fi'er who has praised the J3 so much now enjoys his HM901.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back