The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 8, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #1,786 of 9,131

It's actually not a major stack if someone "just wants it" and they have the means to buy it. It's when one needs to count the pennies to justify the purchase is where I'm saying "look elsewhere".
I honestly don't think the AK240 is really for those who are coming from the bottom-top justification approach (coming from the likes of DX50's, X5's, ZX1's, AK120's, HM-901's). I think we all should already know that law of diminishing returns apply.

The justification for those is really more that someone wants it for whatever reason (to be different, to have something that looks cool, to just "go for the top and never have to wonder") and these reasons are personal which makes it good enough for him or her to buy this player, and that doesn't have to be reasoned or justified with anyone else. I see this as akin to the Vertu (but more rewarding than the Vertu).

Personally for -me- it is a large stack of $$ which I (maybe) personally can't justify. But I just move on and look at other products I can afford. I definitely don't see the need to vent my anger that it didn't meet my expectations on this thread.

The only reason i am considering the AK240 is to get THE best single chassis portable player. By the best, i mean Best sounding. The cost is not really a concern, other than i wouldn't want to spend it to discover that it's not all i expect or that other players offer better or similar SQ for a lot less. It's just about value for each $ spent not the sum.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #1,787 of 9,131

I'm thinking a separate AK240 impressions thread is needed for those who have 1st hand experience of  the product & for genuine practical questions to be asked.

My personal take is that if one is trying to justify a reason to buy the AK240, then they really should just look elsewhere. To me, it's not the kind of product that one should be looking to justify - but more like if they want it, buy it. 

[snip!!]

Originally Posted by AnakChan /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
It's actually not a major stack if someone "just wants it" and they have the means to buy it. It's when one needs to count the pennies to justify the purchase is where I'm saying "look elsewhere".
I honestly don't think the AK240 is really for those who are coming from the bottom-top justification approach (coming from the likes of DX50's, X5's, ZX1's, AK120's, HM-901's). I think we all should already know that law of diminishing returns apply.

The justification for those is really more that someone wants it for whatever reason (to be different, to have something that looks cool, to just "go for the top and never have to wonder") and these reasons are personal which makes it good enough for him or her to buy this player, and that doesn't have to be reasoned or justified with anyone else. I see this as akin to the Vertu (but more rewarding than the Vertu).

Personally for -me- it is a large stack of $$ which I (maybe) personally can't justify. But I just move on and look at other products I can afford. I definitely don't see the need to vent my anger that it didn't meet my expectations on this thread.

Originally Posted by jlcichocki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[Its a large stack of money but I think I can rationalize it with longer term use.  Playing music on my iPhone has crippled me, can't make it through the day battery wise.  Have almost stopped playing music of late when I'm out and about.  It's gotta change with the incoming Roxanne's.  I'm interested in all the latest entries, DX 90 and 100, ZX1, AK, Calyx, X5, etc.  I'm even considering the Hugo, but I think that alters the portability.  It also doesn't help my iPhone battery issue.

I appreciate everyone help (and patience) answering my questions.  Thanks

Originally Posted by Sauntere /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only reason i am considering the AK240 is to get THE best single chassis portable player. By the best, i mean Best sounding. The cost is not really a concern, other than i wouldn't want to spend it to discover that it's not all i expect or that other players offer better or similar SQ for a lot less. It's just about value for each $ spent not the sum.

This is why I recommend having a separate AK240 Impressions thread where both of you get some genuine first hand personal impressions from owners or ppl who had the opportunity to demo the product. There's way too much other noise in this thread. If there's an AK240 owner here, please do feel free to kick off that thread.

Personally I'd love to close this thread as it doesn't seems to provide little value - maybe only 10 pages out of 120 hold some real content?

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,788 of 9,131
Or owners could just get busy and post more impressions... most of the noise is due to a lack of impressions. I guess that's understandable since there probably aren't that many owners yet.

If there was an impressions only thread it would certainly be of major interest.  Especially if there were direct comparisons to other gear.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,790 of 9,131
This is why I recommend having a separate AK240 Impressions thread where both of you get some genuine first hand personal impressions from owners or ppl who had the opportunity to demo the product. There's way too much other noise in this thread. If there's an AK240 owner here, please do feel free to kick off that thread.

Personally I'd love to close this thread as it doesn't seems to provide little value - maybe only 10 pages out of 120 hold some real content?

What exactly are you looking for? I'm genuinely interested in this DAP. I think I'm on topic, asking appropriate questions and seeking answers to questions that confuse me. It's a shame you think these' s too much "noise" here.

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #1,791 of 9,131
What exactly are you looking for? I'm genuinely interested in this DAP. I think I'm on topic, asking appropriate questions and seeking answers to questions that confuse me. It's a shame you think these' s too much "noise" here.
This is what I'm looking for :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/704698/the-astell-and-kern-ak240-impressions-thread/0_20#post_10251073

You've had me at a loss, where did I imply you were off topic or contributing to noise? I don't think I'm speaking about you at all when I talked about noise?

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #1,793 of 9,131
tried this with HD650, LCD3, HD800, and some beyers that I forget the name of and it was pretty amazing. Nice screen and UI

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #1,795 of 9,131
Damn! The internal amp can drive Orthos? That's pretty impressive.

It is, actually. I need to look into it more but I've tested the LCD-3, LCD-X, and LCD-XC and they work fine but I don't know if there's any loss in highs or lows.

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #1,796 of 9,131

Hi Headfolk

I get so confused between you guys fighting about what should be posted where with what is what. Players, DAPs and DACS and cables and types of line output for processing by a another amp or DAC and UI plus what IEM works best with which of the above, Price and Storage Size makes for such a confusing jumble to the non-engineering folk. Of course, a thread can never remain PURE with all these variables being considered in conjunction with a single product, so I don’t think the infights are helpful to us who want to buy and are looking sort for advice by reading all this stuff.

I have been considering an AK240 but now am put off by all the comments including my dislike of their UI.
I have an AK100 with ALO amp and HD800 (I trashed my AKG IEM 3003 as a shrill treble unlistenable to piece of rubbish despite its price) as my current high end audio and wow yes I am stunned by what my music sounds like compared to before. Drawbacks: HD is not so comfortable to use for a long time, the AK and ALO seem to need charging once a day which is a pest considering charging via USB of AK is slow. The AK wants a finger and not even my neat little pointer stick left over from some previous product so it is clumsy to select stuff, although it works fine with my Cowan X7 with the easiest to use UI which is similar to jetaudio player on my computer. Cowan X7 also seems to have a very long battery life and charges fairly quickly OK it doesn’t have the dac sophistication.

So two of my needs or wants:
  • Long battery life
  • Quick charging not via USB
  • UI which allows of classical music in which a player can be asked to play the folder with TRACKS not bloody Songs in order and to continue doing so folder after folder until I shut it up.
  • Yes I want a nice DAC maybe HUGO is better but linked with what player? I cannot understand how output which has already been through a in built DAC in a player like AK240 can be reprocessed through HUGO or another DAC?????
  • I am going to replace my old Sony x1000 UIEM with either a Custom Art or Noble product soon as I can get to somewhere that does ear canal impressions which are not done where I live.
  • So if I buy a HUGO what player as I have 600GB of classical music to listen to?
I don’t care about portability for carrying around, Calyx but it has its own sabre DACs?
  • What do I like in music natural sound. No thumping base. Accuracy no mellowing of sound, but no making it shrill either. Preferably a wide soundstage with good instrument separation and no hiss. Most classical music I listen is based around stringed instruments, piano and voice and can have a wide dynamic range and pitch range, this is especially so with modern serious or classical music.

Any suggestions of what combo will make sense or explanation of how these various bits and bobs you guys squabble about can be linked are welcome.

A humble ignoramus
happy_face1.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,797 of 9,131

+1, since ak240 is out it would be more interesting read impressions and comparison to help make up one's mind.

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #1,799 of 9,131
Hi @VisceriousZERO
, AK240 vs. ZX1+VorzugePure for Roxanne, which one would you take sound wise?

I need more time with both TBH... Also I've been spending less time with the Roxanne as I will be preparing a review of the Kaiser 10

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #1,800 of 9,131
I need more time with both TBH... Also I've been spending less time with the Roxanne as I will be preparing a review of the Kaiser 10

interesting to see your review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back