The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 24, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #2,821 of 7,071
Quote:
Quote:
Now was that between a 16/44.1 mastered file and a DSD mastered file, or was it a fair test between the DSD file and a down-converted one to 16/44.1?

No....no down conversion here.  It was simply comparing my original CD (16/44.1) file to the DSD file off the SACD version of the same album.  

Just to clarify this a bit, I wanted to do a "real world" test of what the rebook CD from my collection sounds like relative to a DSD file of the same song through the same equipment.  In this regard, the very last thing I would want to do is start downsampling DSD to 16/44.1.  That would introduce a ton of variables that are simply irrelevant to the issue at hand.  Not sure what you meant by a "fair" test.  Personally, I think the downsampling of DSD would lead to an "unfair" test because we wouldn't be comparing redbook CD to DSD.  We would, instead, be comparing downsampled DSD to DSD. And I can't think of a good reason to carry that one out.   Nuf said.

X1 = DSD
X2 = DSD down-sampled to 16/44.1
Y1 = CD rip

Take X1 file and down-convert it to X2 and compare the files that way. That's a true test to see if you can really hear a difference between DSD and 16/44.1

That's not the same as comparing X1 to Y1, which are mastered differently. It's already be said that HD files are often mastered differently from their CD counterpart. You can't say that X1 sounds better than X2 per se if your test was between X1 and Y1.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #2,823 of 7,071
Quote:
As you should. DB once setup correctly and ripped securely is VG. never bothered with accurip when I tried it other than the test. Extra time for something you're not going to be able to fix without getting another copy anyway.

Hey I use EAC and it works wonders :wink:. I like the confirmation it gives of accurate rips. Plus its free. You just have to go through the process of setting it up which I can understand others not wanting to bother with. But if you want accurate rips it's worth it.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #2,824 of 7,071
Waiting a few seconds is way better than the DX-100, which can sometimes be 15 minutes or more.

That being said, it would be a nice feature to not have any lag, especially when you're using the device to entertain friends and want to switch music at the spur of the moment but also want to keep the tunes going.

And once this pause is completely eliminated, it could be conceivably be used for DJing (especially with some Rockbox type of cross-fade features).

Quote:

Yep that's what I meant above but you see he doesn't want the music to stop playing at all and wants to keep it going when switching out cards. I'm not so sure what's the big deal about waiting a few seconds to load a card :wink:.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #2,825 of 7,071
Quote:
What files do you have Alan because not all DSD files are gonna be better than 24/192 or 24/96. Most will though from my experience so far. I concur with AnakChan. I have a bunch of files in both formats and extensively tested and agree DSD across the board is noticeably better than both red book and 24/192,24/96.

Hi Lee,

Both the files were from Blue Coast Collection. I reckon they are very good recordings. Give it a try by downloading two same files - one in DSF and the other in Wav 96khz.

http://bluecoastrecords.com/store/various-artists/blue-coast-collection

Since giving my feedback, I spent more time comparing the various DSF and wav files and to me, there seems to be a difference in SQ with the DSF file having slightly more depth but I would not call it noticeably better sounding than a good wav file. I am not sure if other DSF files differ greatly from their wav versions as this is the only album I tested. Like I mentioned, ymmv but I would be keen to hear your impressions after listening to these files.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #2,827 of 7,071
Quote:
For what it is worth, though, I find zero difference between the audio experience of a DSD of Hotel California and the 24/176 release of that album.

Just to clarify, I have NOT compared the DSD of Hotel California to another hi resolution format like 24/176.  My comparison was between a .wav file of a redbook CD (16/44.1) and DSD and the difference was striking.

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #2,828 of 7,071
So yesterday I did some quick tests between DSD-realtime conversion vs pre-converted 24/192 of the same tracks on the AK120 and mentioned that for some reason the DSD-realtime conversion sounds better than the 24/192 on the AK120. I'm still skeptical in generalising that DSD sounds better than all FLAC hires on the AK120 'cos the DSD has to be converted to PCM prior to streaming to the DAC (AK120's DAC is not a DSD-capable DAC). Therefore I'm limited to the following possibilities :-

• 24/192 is just not a good bit/sampling rate to choose when converting/downsampling DSF to FLAC
  • the iRiver firmware is doing something more to the sound signature during the realtime conversion/downsampling prior to streaming to the DAC

On slightly different test today, I took out my HM-901 (f/w 1.080 Final hi-end Balanced amp card) and compared the AK120 DSD with the same 24/192 FLACs but on the 901. And in almost all albums, the 901-24/192 sounded fuller, more detailed, and better separation than the AK120-DSD. The only exception was Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone (more specifically Gabriel's Oboe track). Other albums the differences ranged from slight differences between the two to quite noticable differences. I had a listen to Wham's Make It Big, Footloose, & Top Gun.

So sonically, to me the HM-901 still edges out over the AK120. However, factoring in portability - size, battery life, user friendliness, the AK120 is still a great performer. In fact, on-the-go (in the bus, on the train, walking, etc.) the AK120/Tera are in my pocket. Whilst sitting in front of my office computer or in a cafe the HM-901/DX100/CLAS+RxMk3 comes out.

RWAK100 will appear in the For Sale soon but not before testing the new 2.10 firmware.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #2,830 of 7,071
That I have no problem believing.

Incidentally I also compared Hotel California on dff vs HDtracks 24bit flac on ak120 and to me the difference is significant. The different is so stark I can tell them apart within 5 seconds of any part of the track.

I do agree not all dff files would be superior as it is just a format and container afterall. I would also believe a 24bit flac or wav downsampled from a dff file won't sound that different. But with this particular track the different is huge.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #2,831 of 7,071
So yesterday I did some quick tests between DSD-realtime conversion vs pre-converted 24/192 of the same tracks on the AK120 and mentioned that for some reason the DSD-realtime conversion sounds better than the 24/192 on the AK120. I'm still skeptical in generalising that DSD sounds better than all FLAC hires on the AK120 'cos the DSD has to be converted to PCM prior to streaming to the DAC (AK120's DAC is not a DSD-capable DAC). Therefore I'm limited to the following possibilities :-

1. 24/192 is just not a good bit/sampling rate to choose when converting/downsampling DSF to FLAC

the iRiver firmware is doing something more to the sound signature during the realtime conversion/downsampling prior to streaming to the DAC

On slightly different test today, I took out my HM-901 (f/w 1.080 Final hi-end Balanced amp card) and compared the AK120 DSD with the same 24/192 FLACs but on the 901. And in almost all albums, the 901-24/192 sounded fuller, more detailed, and better separation than the AK120-DSD. The only exception was Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone (more specifically Gabriel's Oboe track). Other albums the differences ranged from slight differences between the two to quite noticable differences. I had a listen to Wham's Make It Big, Footloose, & Top Gun.

So sonically, to me the HM-901 still edges out over the AK120. However, factoring in portability - size, battery life, user friendliness, the AK120 is still a great performer. In fact, on-the-go (in the bus, on the train, walking, etc.) the AK120/Tera are in my pocket. Whilst sitting in front of my office computer or in a cafe the HM-901/DX100/CLAS+RxMk3 comes out.

RWAK100 will appear in the For Sale soon but not before testing the new 2.10 firmware.

Agree on all counts anakchan. If only I can have all my music in the dff masters then I won't need the 901....
RWAK is really not even in the same zipcode. Wonder how the FujiyaAVIC B-spec compare to rwak.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #2,832 of 7,071
Quote:
X1 = DSD
X2 = DSD down-sampled to 16/44.1
Y1 = CD rip

Take X1 file and down-convert it to X2 and compare the files that way. That's a true test to see if you can really hear a difference between DSD and 16/44.1

That's not the same as comparing X1 to Y1, which are mastered differently. It's already be said that HD files are often mastered differently from their CD counterpart. You can't say that X1 sounds better than X2 per se if your test was between X1 and Y1.

+1 Can't agree with you more! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #2,833 of 7,071
Just to clarify, I have NOT compared the DSD of Hotel California to another hi resolution format like 24/176.  My comparison was between a .wav file of a redbook CD (16/44.1) and DSD and the difference was striking.

Could you please pm me on where u bought the dsd hotel California. Many thanks

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #2,835 of 7,071
I was listening to AK120 playing some dsd album the whole day. I'm very impressed! Too bad the battery burns twice as fast as playing pcm track.. I think I only got around 5-6 hours with almost full charge. I really wish it can go to 8-9 hours, it would be a perfect companion during travel and office hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back