The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 3, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #6,541 of 7,071
I recently picked up a used AK120 off the for sale forum and so far I really like it.  One thing that has me scratching my head which I could help with resolving is about AIFF file tags not showing up in either iriver Plus 4 nor the AK120.  I've tried downloading Kid3 to figure it out.  In Kid3, the tags in my AIFF files show up in the Tag 2 section as ID3v2.4 tags.  I thought I would try a couple things in Kid3 like converting to ID3v2.3 tags because I read that some music apps and players don't support ID3v2.4 tags yet.  Unfortunately the conversion option in Kid3 doesn't work on my AIFF files.  When I select all the fields in Tag 2 and select the convert ID3v2.4 to ID3v2.3 tags option, nothing happens.  The second thing I tried was to copy the tags in the Tag 2 section to the Tag 1 section as ID3v1.1 tags, but Kid3 has the Tag 1 fields and the Tag 1 options all grayed.  I'm not sure why Kid3 isn't letting me create or modify the Tag 1 section of an AIFF file.  I tried converting an AIFF to FLAC.  The tags show up again in Kid3 in the Tag 2 section but now as Vorbis.  As FLAC I still can't change convert the tags to ID3V2.3 nor can I copy to the Tag 1 section.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix my tags in AIFF files so they show up in my AK120?

Thanks in advance.

-Robert

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #6,542 of 7,071
Never mind.  I gave up on Windows...  I loaded the songs in iTunes on my Macbook Pro and then copied from the iTunes folder to the AK120 connected as a USB drive and the tags show up fine now in the AK120. Windows + iriver Plus 4... meh.  I'm not sure what iTunes did automatically to the files that I couldn't do with Kid3.

Jun 18, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #6,544 of 7,071
Looks like they still support old products
beerchug.gif
unlike the naysayers would have us believe..

Jun 18, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #6,545 of 7,071
Sadly the ak120 i got was kinda a lemon with its optical out not functioning ... only realized when i tried to use it once sadly warranty was alr over ... contacted them to see if there was any solution and it has been almost 3 months and no reply from them

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #6,546 of 7,071

From Alex An's FB :-

[Improvement]
1. Time Display of MP3 file encoded with VBR is improved.
2. When pressing rewind button after 3 sec with gapless on, wrong information display issue is revised.
3. Bitrate Size issue is improved.
4. Freezing issue while playing the long title, is revised.
5. Some kind of DSD file play is stabilized.

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #6,547 of 7,071
Looks like they still support old products:beerchug: unlike the naysayers would have us believe..

Or perhaps it's due to us "naysayers" being so vocal at the lack of support for a premium product that they have listened, taken on board the constructive critique, learned and done something about it :wink:

As one who has been very vocal let me be just as vocal in my thanks to Astell & Kern for this update and renewed faith in the company that comes from it.

Personally I am not one to complain much and have a very long rope when it comes to problems but I felt I needed to be hard on them and be vocal in the hope they learn and they have so kudos to them and hopefully this update will sort out my SD cards being rejected every so often!

Can someone who is more technically knowledgable expalin what the bit rate update is all about please?

Once again, Thank you Astell & Kern for listening and providing customers with older devices the support they deserve for purchasing a premium priced product.

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #6,549 of 7,071
Comment was specifically aimed at those that claimed they would abandon FW updates on old units. FW was fine as is for me but this addresses things some may care about.

Well, I bombarded them with tweets and emails to which I only got one response that didn't address the issue, but it's good that eventually someone realized that existing customers are worth being looked after, especially now since Sony and other heavy weights get into this business....

I updated both, my AK100 and AK100 Mk2 special edition with the new firmware and it seems to work very well.

So, big thank you to Astell & Kern. A little love goes a long way.

Cheers,
K

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #6,553 of 7,071
Glad to see the updated firmware for the older players ...

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #6,554 of 7,071
volume wheel to scroll through albums etc would be great but how would you distinguish between using the wheel for volume and using it for scrolling?

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #6,555 of 7,071
  volume wheel to scroll through albums etc would be great but how would you distinguish between using the wheel for volume and using it for scrolling?

One way it could work is, if "Line out" is selected, then have the scroll wheel default to library scrolling. I have no need for that wheel when I'm running line out (90% of the time). The second the 3.5mm jack gets disconnected, the dap falls out of line out mode automatically and the volume pot resumes volume control duty.

I'm no engineer and I'm sure there are a million reasons why this isn't as simple as I'm making it out to be but... seems like a reasonable feature request to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back