The Astell & Kern AK120
May 2, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #6,526 of 7,071
I looked at the Astell and Kern site and under the ak120 they have recomened IEMs,
They recommend the se425 and those are $299 at bestbuy,
Their ohms are lower then the klipsch x7i, so with those specs,
Wouldn't the x7i be better? Or possibly the x11i?

May 2, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #6,527 of 7,071
For whatever it's worth - I've got the Ak120 and the SE535's. Does the SE535 sound fine with the Aak120? Yes. But it doesn't excel and leaves a bit to be desired. I don't know anything about the other IEMs mentioned recently but, I'd take those recommendations seriously. if I'm being completely honest, I wasn't entirely happy with the ak120 till I paired it with my ALO National. It's helped all of my cans significantly. The SQ coming out of the National is more inline with what I'm looking for.

Just to be clear though... I've had my SE535's for 5 years now. I love them. I've just always thought some amplification, and/or eq work was necessary to get them where I wanted them. However, I think your money might be better spent on other iem's if you're looking to go the AK120 route (without an amp that'll change the sq a bit).
Just my two cents.

May 2, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #6,528 of 7,071
Thank you, I might first get the klipsch x11i because I don't have the ak120 yet, i a amp and dac by Schiit that's helped my music allot already, but now I want better quality then my $40 klipsch s3, I mainly listen to classie and indie rock.
For whatever it's worth - I've got the Ak120 and the SE535's. Does the SE535 sound fine with the Aak120? Yes. But it doesn't excel and leaves a bit to be desired. I don't know anything about the other IEMs mentioned recently but, I'd take those recommendations seriously. if I'm being completely honest, I wasn't entirely happy with the ak120 till I paired it with my ALO National. It's helped all of my cans significantly. The SQ coming out of the National is more inline with what I'm looking for.

Just to be clear though... I've had my SE535's for 5 years now. I love them. I've just always thought some amplification, and/or eq work was necessary to get them where I wanted them. However, I think your money might be better spent on other iem's if you're looking to go the AK120 route (without an amp that'll change the sq a bit).
Just my two cents.

May 4, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #6,529 of 7,071
UERM and Roxanne universals are great with the AK120. 

May 15, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #6,531 of 7,071
Well today kind of sucks

Lost / had my 120 stolen

Had it in my pocket, nothing plugged in. Now it's missing and it never turned up in lost and found. If someone sees a used ak120 for sale online wuth no packaging / cable / receipt PM me please =S

It last had a brown leather case with a deformed bottom right corner from where I dropped it. 2 microsd cards were inside fill with all sorts of soundtracks

Thanks

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #6,536 of 7,071
Sorry if this has been answered, I have done a search in this thread but no conclusive answers. So here goes:

Is the line out function of the AK120 a true line out? 

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #6,537 of 7,071
  Sorry if this has been answered, I have done a search in this thread but no conclusive answers. So here goes:

Is the line out function of the AK120 a true line out? 

No. It is a headphone line out. There is a digital/optical line out though if you want to use an external dac
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #6,538 of 7,071
Ooh! Activity in this thread! I thought it might've died. I've got a question!
I posted this somewhere else but never got any responses. :/
Just curious about the 3.3 ohm output impedance of the AK120. Is that low enough to drive JH16s (18 ohm impedance)? If my math is right, it seems like the AK120 would be accustomed to drive something no lower then 26omhs... :-/ would I be better off getting my AK120 RWAKed, just getting an amp (like the ALO Rx or something), OR leave well enough alone? Will the AK120 be fine paired with the jh16? I've got another 3 weeks till my JH's are done (can't wait).

Thoughts?

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #6,539 of 7,071
Ooh! Activity in this thread! I thought it might've died. I've got a question!
I posted this somewhere else but never got any responses. :/
Just curious about the 3.3 ohm output impedance of the AK120. Is that low enough to drive JH16s (18 ohm impedance)? If my math is right, it seems like the AK120 would be accustomed to drive something no lower then 26omhs... :-/ would I be better off getting my AK120 RWAKed, just getting an amp (like the ALO Rx or something), OR leave well enough alone? Will the AK120 be fine paired with the jh16? I've got another 3 weeks till my JH's are done (can't wait).

Thoughts?

It's fine.  The impedance matching 8 to 1 ratio is more a guild line than absolutely rule, plus I used my AK120 with my Roxanne and Layla with no problem.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #6,540 of 7,071
This. What happens as you exceed that ratio, linearity may deviate by more than 1db. Nothing to get worked up about as the deviations will be of a smooth nature and the way a persons ears react to an IEM will be much more significant. Things like damping factor is also affected but how that manifests itself (bass tightness) will vary by device. Things like the JH16 will exceed that ratio below 100hz but as the Doc has said it sounds fine, as do my JH13s on my AK120. Jerry certainly thought it more than OK.
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back