The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Aug 19, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #737 of 1,380
Dropped my SM3 order some time ago, haven't gotten it yet but I'll be patient. Meanwhile I'll source for all my different tips to try on. :D A question, does the UM56 fit on the SM3?

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #738 of 1,380
I realized just how effortless the SM3 sounds when I listen to them with low volume. The speed of their response is the fastest I've heard. Really effortless and such a natural sound. I'm loving these IEMs the more I listen to them (and that's saying a lot--still being impressed--for any IEM that I've owned for more than a few months).

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #739 of 1,380
Quote:
music_4321 said:

A bigger shock was the disappointment I felt when I tried the SM3s, which seemed, from various accounts, to be somewhat similar to the UM3X.

A thing like "Well, it all depends what type of sound sig you like/ prefer" is often thrown very casually, and sometimes almost as an excuse for "Just in case I'm wrong". I find saying "it depends on your preferences" true to some extent, and at least from memory (and owning my ES3X) I find the UM3X to be a clear better IEM than both the SE353 & SM3s, and not just a preference in a particular type of sound. I also think, BTW, the IE8 is a very good IEM, but not exactly my cup of tea, at least not like the UM3X - the bass didn't always convince me in the end, lacking some refinement. If given a choice, I'd choose the IE8 over the 535 & SM3.

I do know there are UM3X detractors, I've said it before. But not that many. The UM3X thread went way past the FOTM stage but there's been an explosion of new toys (expensive IEMs) in the last 9-12 months, so the UM3X almost seems like a distant memory. I'm surprised some relatively frequent posters, some of whom with a certain degree of credibility, have not tried them themselves.

I'm also sure some would still genuinely prefer the 535s over the UM3X, perhaps, and I'm guessing here, those who appreciate the Etys type of sound (from what I've read), ie less bass & more treble. But not sure that many would prefer the SM3s over the UM3X if they had both of them at the same time or if doing a blind test. I'll see for myself next week if the UM3X is still that good, or if my ES3X mysteriously just got THAT much better. But, I had the IE8s only a few weeks ago and didn't notice such a big difference in SQ vs the ES3X as I have in the last few days with the 535s & SM3s vs the ES3X.

Thanks for your frank impressions. I'm quoting your post from the SE535 thread here, because my question concerns the SM3 vs. UM3X. Would you care to elaborate in which aspects the UM3X are clearly better than the SM3? I've never heard the UM3X and tbo never considered them seriously, because of their reportedly narrow soundstage (an absolute no-go for me), but frankly I'm quite surprised by your unambiguous assessment. The SM3 are a bit too mid-forward and warmish for me, but from what I've read about the UM3X I thought these two would share a similar sound signature.

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #741 of 1,380
its a shame that honest opinion by someone who does not favor the sm3 gets shot out immediately from discussion. from what i see here.. those people that only have 1 expensive iem (sm3) are fanatically worshipping it, dismissing everything else as blasphemy.

i joined head-fi thinking this would be a professional community. apart from few people (thank you, you know who u are), who took the effort (and money) to do comparisons, i see there's more fanboyism taking place here, a lot of comment came onlly from those who only have the sm3, along with few other very cheap low-tier iems.. especially since the sm3 started. makes me wonder as well why i havent seen the person who started the trend for quite some time either...

If more people actually found out weakness on the sm3 and gave their honest remark gets shot down, i guess eventually those who knows would stop advising, keep quiet, and move further ahead with 'better' iems, and those stuck with sm3 will be stuck forever, convincing even more people to make 'the right choice'.. imho this would stop improvement and eventually kills the community.

now i dont have sm3 myself, but i do have my headphones and my speakers, and any iem which fails to present the sound as proper as my headphone or speaker will be dismissed, since i switched gears often. i would not want to drown myself into thinking im hearing the right and the best sound, when i've only heard and get accustomed to one, and to later realize that i've invested so much on something which is not even close to sound right.

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #742 of 1,380
^ I'd like to caution you against overreacting, just because certain people choose to advocate certain phones doesn't necessarily make them unprofessional. The SM3 have also received praise from folks like dfkt and shigzeo who don't tend to gloss things over. music_4321 is completely underwhelmed by them and that's fine with me, but it doesn't make all SM3 lovers fanboys.

If you stay here a little longer you'll find out that most of these threads (not only those about the SM3) follow a similar pattern and eventually you'll learn to read beween the lines and sort the wheat from the chaff. Again, IMO this is not "the big SM3 scam uncovered", only Head-Fi business as usual. 
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #743 of 1,380

Quote:
Dropped my SM3 order some time ago, haven't gotten it yet but I'll be patient. Meanwhile I'll source for all my different tips to try on. :D A question, does the UM56 fit on the SM3?

What earphone do you use your um56 on? If it's something with nozzle size similar to Westone earphones, it will fit the sm3 with no problem. Question is whether the sm3 with um56 tips will fit your ears. 

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #744 of 1,380

Quote:
^ I'd like to caution you against overreacting, just because certain people choose to advocate certain phones doesn't necessarily make them unprofessional. The SM3 have also received praise from folks like dfkt and shigzeo who don't tend to gloss things over. music_4321 is completely underwhelmed by them and that's fine with me, but it doesn't make all SM3 lovers fanboys.

If you stay here a little longer you'll find out that most of these threads (not only those about the SM3) follow a similar pattern and eventually you'll learn to read beween the lines and sort the wheat from the chaff. Again, IMO this is not "the great SM3 scam uncovered", only Head-Fi business as usual. 
tongue.gif

That is some really great words there. Especially 'sort the wheat from the chaff'  
biggrin.gif

I personally went through the same experience, at first it's really hard to understand how an earphone would sound from just words alone, but after some time you will come to grasp the ideas.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #745 of 1,380
It's borderline arrogant to decry passion as fanboyism. Fair enough, those who don't agree that the SM3 or SE535 or whatever iem we're talking about is the best thing since sliced bread should be free to voice their concerns and viewpoints at length, without being condemned as heretics and burned at the stake.  But I don't see any evidence of that happening here. If its happening, I've missed it. What I do see is the toing and froing of discussion between people with all sorts of different experience, skill levels, musical tastes and above all, ears. That's as it should be - it makes for a balanced interesting online community. What doesn't make much sense is to take about 'professionalism' and 'right' sound and to take shots at people for loving what they have.  We can't all afford to swap and change earphones or headphones as regularly as underpants, and shouldn't be looked down upon for that.  What do you want to do, means test members by getting them to demonstrate they have tested at least 5 top-tier iems and to write reports using a checklist of officially approved terms?  That way leads to the kind of egg headed geekery that completely kills the whole point of listening to music in the first place.

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #746 of 1,380

Quote:
It's borderline arrogant to decry passion as fanboyism. Fair enough, those who don't agree that the SM3 or SE535 or whatever iem we're talking about is the best thing since sliced bread should be free to voice their concerns and viewpoints at length, without being condemned as heretics and burned at the stake.  But I don't see any evidence of that happening here. If its happening, I've missed it. What I do see is the toing and froing of discussion between people with all sorts of different experience, skill levels, musical tastes and above all, ears. That's as it should be - it makes for a balanced interesting online community. What doesn't make much sense is to take about 'professionalism' and 'right' sound and to take shots at people for loving what they have.  We can't all afford to swap and change earphones or headphones as regularly as underpants, and shouldn't be looked down upon for that.  What do you want to do, means test members by getting them to demonstrate they have tested at least 5 top-tier iems and to write reports using a checklist of officially approved terms?  That way leads to the kind of egg headed geekery that completely kills the whole point of listening to music in the first place.

no it isnt.  passion is one thing but emotionally biased passion is fanboism.  not that im claiming anyone is (Voltag3 excepted, ahh he was fun.) we all have our favorites that we personally rate abouve stuff that actually is better (for me i prefer the KC3 and IE7 above many things that i do accept are technically better)  so long as we can recognise what actually is better rather than just what we like more.  i think a lot af people often confuse the two.

i do however note that passions round here are often inflamed, the S4 recently went nuts with the love and any one remember the PFE when it came out?  OMG it was sooooooo amazing etc etc and when was the last time you saw any one recommend it it? 

lets face it were all crazys here in the first place spending huge amounts on stuff that normal people couldnt care less about.  so long as it stays fun its fine but when people start taking offence because someone else doesnt like a bit of plastic and metal as wuch as they do thats when it becomes a problem.

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #747 of 1,380
I agree totally Mark - well said. Maybe we should have a 'fanboy' thread for each iem where the emotional gloves can truly come off?
wink_face.gif

Actually, isn't it the case that there are Appreciation threads where negativity is kind of frowned upon?  I concede this thread has a wider remit than that, but sometimes its nice to leave the geeks to it and hang out with the cheerleaders, know what I mean?

Quote:
no it isnt.  passion is one thing but emotionally biased passion is fanboism.  not that im claiming anyone is (Voltag3 excepted, ahh he was fun.) we all have our favorites that we personally rate abouve stuff that actually is better (for me i prefer the KC3 and IE7 above many things that i do accept are technically better)  so long as we can recognise what actually is better rather than just what we like more.  i think a lot af people often confuse the two.

i do however note that passions round here are often inflamed, the S4 recently went nuts with the love and any one remember the PFE when it came out?  OMG it was sooooooo amazing etc etc and when was the last time you saw any one recommend it it? 

lets face it were all crazys here in the first place spending huge amounts on stuff that normal people couldnt care less about.  so long as it stays fun its fine but when people start taking offence because someone else doesnt like a bit of plastic and metal as wuch as they do thats when it becomes a problem.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #748 of 1,380
Oh, and just so you all know where things stand with the sensorcom tips - the third batch is now all sold out so I will accept requests for more but it might be a week or two before I order any more.  Have shifted 45 pairs in less than 2 weeks, so its been a bit of a labour of love and I need a break.

Hope those of you who have them already are liking them and those who are about to get them will enjoy. Go team SM3 and Sensorcom dual flange! Rah Rah! etc.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #749 of 1,380

ah.. treasure hunting among treasures and fake treasures...
this is gonna be hard.. 
confused_face_2.gif

ok, so i should retract some of my words..
true that we tend to exaggerate things that suits us well.. i guess i was also imposing my taste from my sentence above.
thanks for the pointers.

anyways.. lets get back to the topic,
i also want to know the difference between sm3 and um3x..
Quote:

If you stay here a little longer you'll find out that most of these threads (not only those about the SM3) follow a similar pattern and eventually you'll learn to read beween the lines and sort the wheat from the chaff. Again, IMO this is not "the big SM3 scam uncovered", only Head-Fi business as usual. 
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #750 of 1,380
Small comment on your choice of fanboyism and IEMs.The S4 is no doubt still selling briskly, and since the name of dfkt has been invoked re the SM3s, you no doubt know he is a major fan of the PFEs (which now have both a new model and filter, to enhance bass - the main knock by some). I owned the S4s and the PFEs, and while I no longer do, they were both decent enough IEMs. The PFEs in fact, if amped properly, we very good IEMs for the price (shades of the Ety lineup). Anyway, no one talks about a lot of IEMs any more, but that doesn't make the obsolete or fanboy/girl "one hit wonders." You really don't hear many people raving about the IE7 either these days, but you still like them, right?

As far as passion vs. fanboyism, to me the latter is when you find a single product and it can do no wrong, and you are never open to trying an alternative. I have been very passionate about IEMs I have owned, including the PFE and S4, but when I tried something new, they were supplanted. I can assure you my original excitement was honest passion for something I liked, not some cult-like devotion to any piece of gear or manufacturer. I just found something I liked more. Just like on the shampoo bottle: Use, rinse, repeat (but with a different shampoo).

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back