The All New Earsonics SM3 Appreciation, Discussion and Review Thread!
Aug 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #631 of 1,380

Quote:
^^ I bet if you apply the same settings using Apple ear buds, you'll get similar results, if not even better.
evil_smiley.gif

LOL, but will it work as well on the SE420 thats what i want to know 
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #632 of 1,380

OK I don't have a Cowon player but do use MediaMonkey on my PC so installed RTEQ 4 plugin. The top settings I couldn't find an equivelant to but was able to tweak the closest Hz settings (see picture). I have taken a picture of the options available to the plugin, should I adjust any of them?

BTW the EQ settings are amazing! Definitely bring the slightest bit of sparkle that missing compared to my MTPC back.

Quote:
To those who have a Cowon player (I know you do, Benny) , try this:
BBE:0
Mach3bass:0
Stereo enhance: 2
eq:
80hz: 0
230hz: 0
850hz: 0
4.1khz: 3
5.3khz: 2
Yes, it's subtle, but it gives the SM3 a shimmer that's missing in the upper midrange. Let me know what you think!
smile_phones.gif

What I hear now is really about perfect. Really cannot imagine how anything could be improved.
cool.gif

A player with a good eq can be very helpful, imo, as there are iems that only need a tiny amount of tweak to sound right. That's the case of the SM3. However, no matter how much I equalize the IE8, I cannot get them sound as good as the SM3. But now, my SM3 have about the same clarity as the RE-252, but with much better bass and immersion.

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #633 of 1,380
OK I am going to ask a question about an extreme solution. I am using an iPhone which I absolutely love in every way except the crappy EQ. If the very small tweak to the EQ makes this difference in the sound. Should I consider applying this setting and re-ripping my MP3 files from my original FLAC's to change this setting within the MP3 file itself? This would allow me to use my iPhone but not sacrifice the music quality I am looking for, right? Or is there an easier way to accomplish this (and no I won't be able to switch my iPhone to some other player). If this is the right approach what software would I need to accomplish this?

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #634 of 1,380

^^ Within Nero Wave Editor, part of the Nero 9 suite, you have a Tools menu to allow you to modify a sound file. One such tool is the Equalizer, which allows you to do what you're asking and then offers the option to save the file in a variety of formats (FLAC, ogg, mp3, aac, etc.), keeping the original (unchanged) file if you wish. But this has to be done on a track by track basis as far as I can tell. I've tried it a couple of times just for fun and it works quite nicely, but having the Sony X with it's excellent EQ (which I hardly ever use) Wave Editor is not really necessary for me. You also get different options to do more fine-tuning.

clip_image002.jpg

clip_image002.jpg

clip_image002.jpg
clip_image002.jpg
clip_image002.jpg

clip_image002.jpg

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #635 of 1,380
Buy a J3 and be done with it.  Use the iPhone for playing silly little apps and texting people with, and the Cowon for listening to your choons on.

Apple suck. The life out of music.  

Aug 14, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #636 of 1,380
LOL Bennyboy, if I win the lottery I'll get a Cowon, but I am financially strapped right now so it's not in my horizon. I'll take a look at the Nero and other options :) Thanks for the suggestion Music_4321.

Aug 14, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #637 of 1,380
What makes these braided cables so good that I see them on customs and what not? They feel really thin.

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #638 of 1,380
^^ If they are anything like the Westone cables, they provide the best non-microphonics, unparalleled flexibility, and though seeming flimsy, they're much stronger than you think. They also don't get in the way, you really almost forget there's a cable at all as they're quite unobtrusive. Customs cables are only a little less thin and these are used by professional performers - better be good then!

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #639 of 1,380

Quote:
What makes these braided cables so good that I see them on customs and what not? They feel really thin.

The braided cable on my custom is thicker and more flexible than the braided cable on sm3, but it depends on the company. It's good as it reduces the microphonics. The not so good thing is since they are braided they are prone to get tangled up.

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #640 of 1,380
Since I'm determined to get the best backup top-tier universal for these ears, and have already decided to sell my SE535s, today I placed an order for the new UM3X (with detachable cable). I learned today, BTW, that the new UM3X doesn't just come with Comply tips like before, it now comes with a 'fit-kit' with 10 different ear-tip options!

I will then be able to do a proper and fairer A/B'ing between the SM3s & UM3X, AND the SE535 if they haven't been sold by then.

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #641 of 1,380

Quote:
OK I am going to ask a question about an extreme solution. I am using an iPhone which I absolutely love in every way except the crappy EQ. If the very small tweak to the EQ makes this difference in the sound. Should I consider applying this setting and re-ripping my MP3 files from my original FLAC's to change this setting within the MP3 file itself? This would allow me to use my iPhone but not sacrifice the music quality I am looking for, right? Or is there an easier way to accomplish this (and no I won't be able to switch my iPhone to some other player). If this is the right approach what software would I need to accomplish this?

You could just lower your mp3's gain and use your iPhone's EQ, as described in this thread. Don't know if there's a suitable EQ preset for the SM3 on your iPhone, but the approach is easy and reversible, so maybe it's worth a try.

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #642 of 1,380
wow dweaver, you're willing to re-eq all your tracks?

there are a couple of apps out there that can batch process them for you if you really want to go down that route.

a good one is called Cockos Reaper, its basically a recording and production software but they recently added batch processing as well.

so you would be doing what music said above, but you can save the preset in the EQ and then just apply it to whatever you load in then and later.

also you then have a choice of 3rd party EQ's which are normally much better than built in EQ's in software, but then reaper's eq also aint bad.

while reaper isnt free, it does have a very liberal trial policy ie, 5sec nag screen , but then that's it, its fully functional. oh and its from the guys that built winamp.

its pretty straight forward as well,... load up reaper, go to File>batch process and follow the instructions.

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #643 of 1,380
I'm not 100% sure if I will go this route or not but since the change needed to get the most out of the SM3 is so small I may try some music and see what I think. Thanks for the link anomalouscode that is the type of app I hoping to find but was not having much success.

If I do this I will be keeping the originals of everything I have ripped or bought though as I do not want to lose the unmodified versions of my music.

@james444, I like your suggestion as well and will play with it. I think I may have already adjusted the gain to 89 but will have to look. I am concerned though because the iPhone presets are anything but subtle and all I want is a very small change in the sound.

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #644 of 1,380
I would be really interested in some comparisons between the UM3X and SM3 in terms of sound signature (from those who have heard both, obviously).

I have heard the UM3X and own the W3...in a way, the W3 are more fun, but listening to certain tracks on the UM3X bring out details that add to the overall enjoyment of the music. On the other hand, I listen to quite a lot of metal that may not be mastered as well as other records. I still do have about 80% of my library in lossless, so GIGO applies. I also own a PortaPro, and greatly enjoy their soundstaging capabilities, but their lack of isolation is a killer as a portable rig. Understandably, their sound signature is far less refined than the IEMs I have mentioned.

I wonder if the SM3 are a happy ground between the UM3X and W3 with the soundstaging of the PortaPros (or better).

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #645 of 1,380

Quote:
I would be really interested in some comparisons between the UM3X and SM3 in terms of sound signature (from those who have heard both, obviously).

I have heard the UM3X and own the W3...in a way, the W3 are more fun, but listening to certain tracks on the UM3X bring out details that add to the overall enjoyment of the music. On the other hand, I listen to quite a lot of metal that may not be mastered as well as other records. I still do have about 80% of my library in lossless, so GIGO applies. I also own a PortaPro, and greatly enjoy their soundstaging capabilities, but their lack of isolation is a killer as a portable rig. Understandably, their sound signature is far less refined than the IEMs I have mentioned.

I wonder if the SM3 are a happy ground between the UM3X and W3 with the soundstaging of the PortaPros (or better).

There is a thread somewhere here called SM3 vs UM3x. I think of the people who posted there most of them said they preferred the SM3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back