The absolute BEST amp for the LCD-3 (only vote if you have heard the mjolnir and at least one other amp, preferably most on the list)
May 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #136 of 187
  Fully agree.
The EAR HP-4(SE) sounded better with the LCD3s than the ECBA.

Another clear example that shows that properly designed SE amps are fantastic. I still dream on having one HP-4 in my collection. 

May 29, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #137 of 187
Yeah, whether an amp is balanced or not is mostly irrelevant, just buy whichever amp sounds best and terminate your headphone cable accordingly...

True. 
The company design of the internals and the quality of components is where we should focus on. I know buying balanced aftermarket cables can be fun. 

May 29, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #138 of 187
Thanks for the advice.
I now have two amps on my short list, the Auralic Taurus mk11 & the Cavalli Liquid Glass. I really like the idea of tube rolling but we have no dealers for Cavalli in the UK which is problematic.
I just can't make my mind up.

May 29, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #139 of 187
Thanks for the advice.
I now have two amps on my short list, the Auralic Taurus mk11 & the Cavalli Liquid Glass. I really like the idea of tube rolling but we have no dealers for Cavalli in the UK which is problematic.
I just can't make my mind up.

Just get yourself a Mjolnir and then start going to meets and trying out others till you find one that is better enough to be worth the extra dough 
tongue.gif

May 29, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #140 of 187

Anyone pair an LCD-3 with the Auralic Taurus and can compare it to the Schiit Mjolnir or Bryston? Just looking for relative comparisons if you've got em.

I've ordered a LCD-3 and LCD-XC that are "coming soon".
I picked up a Pan Am Alo to mess around a bit with tubes, but I have a feeling that I will prefer the LCD-3 with SS. Everything I've read implies the Schiit Mjolnir and Bryston BHA-1 are both pretty good pairings for the LCD-3, but possibly a bit too harsh for the XC. I think the Ray Samuels DarkStar, Head Amp GS-X, and Bakoon HPA-21 all sound interesting, but all are probably outside my budget atm.

Yup. I find the Taurus to better the Mjo especially in image depth - and it has richer highs, slightly more punch. It just feels more precise. The Mjolnir is very good with the LCD-3 but the Taurus is just better when compared side by side. 

What dac was used with the Taurus and the Mj to arrive at this conclusion? I read a lot of threads where it is said that the combination of components is superior and I am sure that is possible, as the stack I have is a good setup but I have never had the opportunity to listen to any other amps or dacs so have to try "live vicariously" thru the impressions relayed on HeadFi. Plus there is the issue of differentiating between the dac and amp as to where the [perceived] differences lie.

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #147 of 187
I'm relatively new to the head phone listening experience and have purchased the Bryston BHA 1 to drive Audeze 3 head phones,.
Prior to the Bryston and Audeze 3 combination I used Audeze 2 driven by Placette Audio preamp with headphone section and all silver Toxic venom cables with 1/4 adapter.
The Audeze 2 and Placette Audio combination is quite good. This preamp is externally transparent and will reveal colourations immediately.
Now that I'm getting use to listening with head phones I find the all balanced Bryston combination highly enjoyable and the only solution for late night listening.

I have not tried other dedicated head phone amps however I feel the Bryston a very good match for driving the Audeze head phones.

Digital source is the PlayBack MPS 5 and MPD 5 dac other sources enjoyed are analog and FM broadcast.

Happy listening

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #148 of 187
The best for the LCD-3 are :

2 Questyle CMA800R ( the LCD-3 with fazor drivers sound better and more neutral when driven balanced with 2 questyle amps than the taurus mk2 in balanced mode)

Bryston BHA-1 (in balanced mode with high gain setting is really a nice combo)

I can say that the LCD-3 with fazor drivers and with higher impedance (110 ohm) has become a more picky headphone as regards the choice of the right amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back