TGXEAR discussion thread.
Apr 22, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #1,111 of 1,868
lol, "revised tuning". so now we need to get 2 of everything Jim has to satisfy the craving?
No we don't need to. I wanted to and funded most of it by selling my other Serratus.
The Alu shell is half the weight of the SSB one and this target is, according to Jim, closer to what he wanted to achieve with Serratus. It's something I want to try out, so I took the bait. Doesn't mean you have to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230422-171339.png
    Screenshot_20230422-171339.png
    430.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #1,112 of 1,868
No we don't need to. I wanted to and funded most of it by selling my other Serratus.
The Alu shell is half the weight of the SSB one and this target is, according to Jim, closer to what he wanted to achieve with Serratus. It's something I want to try out, so I took the bait. Doesn't mean you have to.
Will be interested to hear your take on the difference which I expect to be pretty small.

Apr 22, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #1,113 of 1,868
Will be interested to hear your take on the difference which I expect to be pretty small.
Probably can't even make a real comparison, since I already sold and sent out my previous Serratus

Apr 23, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #1,115 of 1,868
Writing the review of SSB Serratus, and increasingly getting infatuated with these. The owners of both Ripples and Serratus, can you tell me what changes should I experience going from the SSB-S to the Ripples? I am so smitten by Jim's tuning that I just have to have another of a different variety from his stable.

Here is an eye candy pic of them:

20230415_163407~2.jpg

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #1,116 of 1,868
Writing the review of SSB Serratus, and increasingly getting infatuated with these. The owners of both Ripples and Serratus, can you tell me what changes should I experience going from the SSB-S to the Ripples? I am so smitten by Jim's tuning that I just have to have another of a different variety from his stable.

Here is an eye candy pic of them:

20230415_163407~2.jpg
I have both Serratus and Ripples, but I have the MX500 shells on both. They have distinctive sound profiles! You can probably find comparisons if you search through this thread. My two cents: Ripples has more mid-bass, more intimate staging, and fantastic bass details/dynamics. Serratus has very wide staging, and a stronger emphasis on the sub-bass and treble. They complement each other for sure.

Apr 26, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #1,117 of 1,868
My post got deleted out of the cache here while I was writing it the first time, so I will keep it shorter than initially intended. That is really something that I would like a fix for, since I have to switch apps to link songs into a post, and sometimes what I wrote just gets deleted. Here we go again:

Totem arrived yesterday! :) It has less of a mid-bass and treble emphasis than Carbon, which makes more specialized for certain albums in my library. The signatur is warmer, low-mid and sub-bass focused, I would say. So vintage rock, funk and soul records work very well for example. The holes in the foam are interesting to me, would they have less treble without them? 🤔

16825011543607488069828208645098.jpg

Good example tracks that work well with Totem would be Clap Your Hands by ATA Records, Re-Hash by Gorillaz or this sampler here:

Soon Alu-Shell Serratus will arrive and I have completed the TGX-Trinity 😛 Carbon will probably stay my favorite though.

Attachments

• 16825003874107395588069473915273.jpg
    16825003874107395588069473915273.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 26, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #1,118 of 1,868
My post got deleted out of the cache here while I was writing it the first time, so I will keep it shorter than initially intended. That is really something that I would like a fix for, since I have to switch apps to link songs into a post, and sometimes what I wrote just gets deleted. Here we go again:

Totem arrived yesterday! :) It has less of a mid-bass and treble emphasis than Carbon, which makes more specialized for certain albums in my library. The signatur is warmer, low-mid and sub-bass focused, I would say. So vintage rock, funk and soul records work very well for example. The holes in the foam are interesting to me, would they have less treble without them? 🤔

16825011543607488069828208645098.jpg

Good example tracks that work well with Totem would be Clap Your Hands by ATA Records, Re-Hash by Gorillaz or this sampler here:

Soon Alu-Shell Serratus will arrive and I have completed the TGX-Trinity 😛 Carbon will probably stay my favorite though.

I used to punch all my earbud foams with a leather punch (doesn't require any percussive action as you would punch a hole in leather, just simply twist and a hole is cut). Yes, with full foams you will have less treble overall, but for my ears the affect is very nuanced -- I get more impact on sound with various foam densities than I do by making a hole.

Apr 27, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #1,119 of 1,868
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #1,120 of 1,868
Apr 29, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #1,121 of 1,868
20230423_145204.jpg
20230423_150244.jpg
20230423_150831.jpg
Bitten several times by the TGXear bug... But I think I am healed now :ksc75smile:

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #1,122 of 1,868
Here is a short comparison of TOTL DIY earbuds that I managed to lay my hands on, that are:

- TGXear Serratus - a custom version, which comprises 500Ω driver and transparent bell shells; originally they used to feature 300Ω driver and MX500 shells.

- RikuBuds Grand Alter Saber 2 - with no huge alterations made to them, although Riku offers quite a few visual options to choose from; these have 80Ω driver.

_1177888sM.jpg

Since I'm not an experienced audio reviewer and I'm not able to fully transcribe what I hear and feel, I will try to focus on the main differences between those two models, leaving the general description and characteristics behind. Serratus has already been reviewed quite a few times, therefore I don't really think I could add anything more worthwhile to it.

Okay, enough with excuses. Let me start with the basics.

One of the biggest advantages that GAS2 has to offer is its 80Ω driver, which makes it far easier to drive. Surely, Riku's buds do benefit from plugging them into an amplifier, but they sound great even without one.
_1177886sM.jpg

Meanwhile, Serratus actually needs a decent source, even in its default 300Ω configuration. Not only due to 4.4mm BAL termination (which is the most popular option, though one may get it with 3.5mm SE), but also due to their scaleability.
At first I paired it with Tanchjim Space that, in spite of its little body, is quite powerful for a dongle (4 Vrms and 230 mW of power on the 4.4mm end). The results were breathtaking, they really were. But after connecting TGXears to TempoTec March III (4 Vrms, 630 mW) they became even better.. The sounds gained a little weight to them and the bass got slightly punchier, too. From what I've seen more and more people tend to pair Serratus with tube AMPs, which actually seems to make a lot of sense.

When it comes to comfort - even though my ears aren't that demanding and almost all buds fit me well, the Val39 shells won me over. TGXear bells aren't bad, they just don't feel that secure. Having said that, they've never fallen out of my ear or anything.
GAS2 scores another point for its cable - covered with a very thin, transparent sleeve that makes it soft and less prone to microphonics. Serratus braided cable appears more solid, but isn't that easy to handle.

The most important thing: sound.
As many of you already know Serratus easily became the king of technicalities. It's neutral, yet highly defined and accurate. Sometimes it may appear as too bright, especially to people that are sensitive to high frequencies. But no one questioned their amazing holographic staging.

Neither did I, at least not before I got GAS2.
_1177879sM.jpg

In the direct A/B comparison GAS2 feels slightly wooly, though I feel that "analogue-y" is more on point. The mids aren't as forward as in Serratus. The particular notes sound smoother - not that sterile, not that digital. It's warmer, softer maybe, all right, but it's still highly resolving. It's funny, but Riku's buds are minutely better at replicating hi-hats, making them more audible, yet not harsh, not painful.

The stage itself seems to be a little wider, but most importantly it's the height that's much better. That's what saves GAS2 from sounding congested.

Based on the above write-up one could think that those two earbuds differ so much that it should be easy to pick them apart.

In reality, it's not.

If I hadn't compared them side by side, second by second, I'd have had hard time saying which is which. Both of them put a big smile on my face and tend to give me a hell of a lot of fun. Both guarantee a proper jaw-dropping experience on first listen.

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #1,123 of 1,868
Here is a short comparison of TOTL DIY earbuds that I managed to lay my hands on, that are:

- TGXear Serratus - a custom version, which comprises 500Ω driver and transparent bell shells; originally they used to feature 300Ω driver and MX500 shells.

- RikuBuds Grand Alter Saber 2 - with no huge alterations made to them, although Riku offers quite a few visual options to choose from; these have 80Ω driver.

_1177888sM.jpg

Since I'm not an experienced audio reviewer and I'm not able to fully transcribe what I hear and feel, I will try to focus on the main differences between those two models, leaving the general description and characteristics behind. Serratus has already been reviewed quite a few times, therefore I don't really think I could add anything more worthwhile to it.

Okay, enough with excuses. Let me start with the basics.

One of the biggest advantages that GAS2 has to offer is its 80Ω driver, which makes it far easier to drive. Surely, Riku's buds do benefit from plugging them into an amplifier, but they sound great even without one.
_1177886sM.jpg

Meanwhile, Serratus actually needs a decent source, even in its default 300Ω configuration. Not only due to 4.4mm BAL termination (which is the most popular option, though one may get it with 3.5mm SE), but also due to their scaleability.
At first I paired it with Tanchjim Space that, in spite of its little body, is quite powerful for a dongle (4 Vrms and 230 mW of power on the 4.4mm end). The results were breathtaking, they really were. But after connecting TGXears to TempoTec March III (4 Vrms, 630 mW) they became even better.. The sounds gained a little weight to them and the bass got slightly punchier, too. From what I've seen more and more people tend to pair Serratus with tube AMPs, which actually seems to make a lot of sense.

When it comes to comfort - even though my ears aren't that demanding and almost all buds fit me well, the Val39 shells won me over. TGXear bells aren't bad, they just don't feel that secure. Having said that, they've never fallen out of my ear or anything.
GAS2 scores another point for its cable - covered with a very thin, transparent sleeve that makes it soft and less prone to microphonics. Serratus braided cable appears more solid, but isn't that easy to handle.

The most important thing: sound.
As many of you already know Serratus easily became the king of technicalities. It's neutral, yet highly defined and accurate. Sometimes it may appear as too bright, especially to people that are sensitive to high frequencies. But no one questioned their amazing holographic staging.

Neither did I, at least not before I got GAS2.
_1177879sM.jpg

In the direct A/B comparison GAS2 feels slightly wooly, though I feel that "analogue-y" is more on point. The mids aren't as forward as in Serratus. The particular notes sound smoother - not that sterile, not that digital. It's warmer, softer maybe, all right, but it's still highly resolving. It's funny, but Riku's buds are minutely better at replicating hi-hats, making them more audible, yet not harsh, not painful.

The stage itself seems to be a little wider, but most importantly it's the height that's much better. That's what saves GAS2 from sounding congested.

Based on the above write-up one could think that those two earbuds differ so much that it should be easy to pick them apart.

In reality, it's not.

If I hadn't compared them side by side, second by second, I'd have had hard time saying which is which. Both of them put a big smile on my face and tend to give me a hell of a lot of fun. Both guarantee a proper jaw-dropping experience on first listen.
Great comparison! I also have both of these buds and feel like the Serratus goes for a specific type of sound (U-shaped, perfect for orchestral/instrumental pieces) whereas the GAS2 is more of an all rounder (bassy warm neutral, perfect for pop/EDM and most modern genres). Both surprised me in different ways!

Apr 30, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #1,124 of 1,868
Great comparison! I also have both of these buds and feel like the Serratus goes for a specific type of sound (U-shaped, perfect for orchestral/instrumental pieces) whereas the GAS2 is more of an all rounder (bassy warm neutral, perfect for pop/EDM and most modern genres). Both surprised me in different ways!

Exactly. None seems to be better, they are just somewhat different.

May 1, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #1,125 of 1,868
Reposting here from the Watercooler thread(i did not know we have a dedicated thread for TGXear Serratus).

Hello friends,

Hope you all are doing great, today I got to try the TGXear Serratus earbuds which are quite phenomenal in their sound signature. It's quite amazing to get such a stronger lower end in an earbud. Midrange is exceptionally good, and the treble is smooth and detailed. The soundstage is a bit intimate but has a good amount of air so there's no congestion at all. It's quite an amazing experience auditioning these. Earbuds are personally not my taste because most of my portable setup requires isolation, and the Serratus had no isolation for me like all other earbuds, but apart from that talking about sound only, I am literally blown away here.

Enjoy a video of initial impressions on the same:-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back